Leica microscope head compatibility

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
dtrinh

Leica microscope head compatibility

#1 Post by dtrinh » Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:39 pm

Hi everyone,
I have a Leica DM750 with a binocular head (infinity). I would like to ask how compatible the heads are, within the infinity system? How do I know if a trinocular head is compatible with the DM750?
This one for example:
https://www.ebay.fr/itm/403987592774

Thank you very much!

PeteM

Re: Leica microscope head compatibility

#2 Post by PeteM » Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:14 pm

As far as I know, the Leica "DM" microscopes all use the same dovetail. However, there are some older heads with "Delta" optics and more recent ones with "HC" optics that use different corrections. If yours is an HC system, you want an HC head and eyepieces (and vice versa) and add only HC or HCX objectives (to an HC system).

There are also differences in field size. Depending on your objectives and intermediate pieces, a lower-end trinocular head might throttle down your field of view. A higher-end one might add unnecessary costs.

The Ebay description and photos above don't reveal which type it is - nothing in the text, no view of the eyepiece inscriptions, no view of the head inscription, and not enough of a view of the stand (likely DMR) to know for sure. The older Delta DMR had black printing along the back, and the new one red printing - my guess from the little I can see is that this one is a Delta head, but you'd want to ask the seller to be sure.

imkap

#3 Post by imkap » Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:13 pm

dtrinh wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:39 pm
Hi everyone,
I have a Leica DM750 with a binocular head (infinity). I would like to ask how compatible the heads are, within the infinity system? How do I know if a trinocular head is compatible with the DM750?
This one for example:
https://www.ebay.fr/itm/403987592774

Thank you very much!
It probably fits, you can ask the seller to measure it to be sure...

PeteM

#4 Post by PeteM » Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:20 am

It will fit, but may not be optically compatible.

If dtrinh's DM750 uses HC optics and the eBay head is from an older Delta system DMR, the corrections will be off. In addition, some of the DMR series had the tube lens at the top of the stand and (most) others in the head.
Last edited by PeteM on Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

imkap

#5 Post by imkap » Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:30 am

OK, sorry PeteM. I was a bit hasty and didn't realise you said it all already.
Anyway dtrinh good luck with finding a trino head, it isn't easy to find a good one with a good price tag.

apochronaut

#6 Post by apochronaut » Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:47 pm

Leica implies that the optical systems which would include heads have forward compatability with objectives, with the proviso that the head will not pass the complete image circle the objective is capable of. A Delta head will work with HCX objectives and an HCX head will work with HC objectives.