Reichert Polyvar

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
Rorschach

Re: Reichert Polyvar

#121 Post by Rorschach » Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:41 am

MWK wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:22 pm
How goes your restoration? I'm curious to hear about the progress you're making! :)
It went well initially, I think I have all the parts and optics in hand now, including a functioning IK condenser. Then life got in the way and I didn't have a proper space for assembly and use of the scope. However, this will improve in relatively near future so the work will continue :)

Rorschach

#122 Post by Rorschach » Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:24 pm

I am wondering about this polarization optic for the Polyvar, please see image below. It goes on the output of transmitted light at the foot of the microscope. I am thinking that it could be used for simple polarization with the universal condenser but I am not sure what else would be needed. Maybe one of those sliders that go in above the nosepiece. There are many different sliders for the Polyvar, though.

I have not seen a desciption or even a mention of this part in any of the Polyvar brochures or manuals that I have. It can be seen in one of the overall photos of the scope in a Polyvar Met user manual but no description or anything else about it. Maybe the part is from the Polyvar 2 era, and thus there is nothing about it in the earlier materials.
2024-04-11 15_16_31-Reichert-Jung Polyvar widefield condenser 0.92_0.32 excellent optical condition .jpg
2024-04-11 15_16_31-Reichert-Jung Polyvar widefield condenser 0.92_0.32 excellent optical condition .jpg (27.54 KiB) Viewed 519 times

Rorschach

#123 Post by Rorschach » Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:07 pm

The Reichert Polyvar saga continues :) We found a scope in excellent condition for our university unit.

It does not have the universal condenser but we can find that one later. The condenser it does have I am unfamiliar with but will get details later. The objectives were marked as polarization compatible.

It seems to have a ready adapter solution for DSLR on the top. There is also the Dual Reflex module, which may allow the attaching of a C-mount camera as well. I don't know the details and different parts of the Dual Reflex system so maybe an adapter is needed. It also seems to have equipment for simple polarization: the nosepiece slider and the (original) part that goes on the transmitted light output.

There's both filter wheels as well, one for transmitted and the other one for incident. Even the handrests are there, which is rare :D

Edit: I think a clarification is in order for those of you who have followed the Polyvar saga :D The freebie one I got for myself last year was from an entirely different unit (where I used to study a long time ago). This one is being purchased for the unit where I work now.

_MG_3442_small.jpg
_MG_3442_small.jpg (63.35 KiB) Viewed 493 times
_MG_3441_small.jpg
_MG_3441_small.jpg (79.61 KiB) Viewed 493 times
_MG_3434_1_small.jpg
_MG_3434_1_small.jpg (96.73 KiB) Viewed 493 times
_MG_3442_small.jpg
_MG_3442_small.jpg (63.35 KiB) Viewed 493 times
Attachments
_MG_3436_small.jpg
_MG_3436_small.jpg (87.15 KiB) Viewed 493 times

Rorschach

#124 Post by Rorschach » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:03 am

What is the policy here regarding brochures etc. for legacy, out of production microscope models? I ask because I recently got hold of (probably) one of the last (1985) and most comprehensive (20 pages) Reichert Polyvar brochures in color and in excellent condition. I would like to scan it and put it up here in this message thread for everybody to use and enjoy. Seems to me that this would hardly be a breach on anyone's rights, as brochures are, after all, free marketing materials originally intended for maximum distribution. Also, the model hasn't been sold in three decades or so, plus I am not making any profit here.

At the same time, I also managed to get hold of an original Reichert Polyvar UK order list, which is near complete (appears that two last pages are missing). I would like to put that here as well. An order list falls under marketing material as well.

MichaelG.

#125 Post by MichaelG. » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:23 am

I obviously cannot speak for the policy-makers … but I would certainly be interested in seeing the scans !

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

apochronaut

#126 Post by apochronaut » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:44 am

I can't believe anyone at Leica would care. They seem to have long ago forgotten their legacy, except to brandish certain aspects of it that they deem useful for marketing. You might consider contacting Steve Neeley and sending a scan to him as well. He provides or has links to AO related info., including the translated scan provided by a MHF member of the Reichert Univar manual. That site is a bit of a focal point for Reichert as well as AO. Sales brochures are often valuable because they sometimes profile a broad range of accessories that general manuals or even service literature don't mention, helping users to identify items or even pursue applications.

I use Reichert objectives all the time but not in a Polyvar. I only know the versions listed for the Univar and Diavar 2 up to about 1978 or so. Having some background of the versions offered later for transmitted microscopy would be of value to me personally.