Reichert Polyvar

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
Hobbyst46

Re: Reichert Polyvar

#61 Post by Hobbyst46 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:12 pm

Rorschach wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:23 am
Lo and behold! Even the original HBO 200W lamphouse power supply was found from the abysmal depths of departmental storage, together with a used (1900 hours) bulb and a brand new one (Osram). No idea if the power has issues or is fully functional but there is some hope as the system apparently was retired as functional.

edit: those bulbs are supposed to have a rated average life of 200 hours so something does not add up. Either the counter is shot or someone was REALLY pushing their luck...if one of these explodes, you get mercury flying in all directions with some of it entering your lungs. Rather unlikeable situation I would say.

Reichert_200W_HBO_power_supply.jpg
From the above photos as well as the user manual, there is no counter on the PS, so - was the 1900 hours marked on or near the bulb itself ?
From my recollection, 200W mercury bulbs do not have a much longer life than the average.

I would suggest to be aware of the safety rules for such bulbs, anyway. The are most vulnerable when hot.
Although in principle, vacuumed glass containers implode, the rapid inflow of air can tend to spread sharp glass fragments around, and these IMHO are the risk factor. Have personally seen it on several occasions.

apochronaut

#62 Post by apochronaut » Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:11 pm

Here's a good test.

https://youtu.be/-MtdhSopACQ. Didn't blow enough to break the envelope.

But just in case https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Kappler-Z5H382- ... ect=mobile

Sure Squintsalot

#63 Post by Sure Squintsalot » Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:54 pm

Well, these things can't be that rare!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234971233247?h ... SwRmJkOD8l
Screenshot 2023-04-17 165124.jpg
Screenshot 2023-04-17 165124.jpg (146.82 KiB) Viewed 531328 times
It might be worth nabbing this just for the parts!

Rorschach

#64 Post by Rorschach » Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:58 am

Yeah, I am following that one :) Depending on where the price will settle, I might try to nab it.

However, it really does seem that the biological Polyvars are far more rare than the ones for reflected light (Met) or for semiconductor work.

Rorschach

#65 Post by Rorschach » Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:51 am

apochronaut wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:11 pm
Here's a good test.

https://youtu.be/-MtdhSopACQ. Didn't blow enough to break the envelope.

But just in case https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Kappler-Z5H382- ... ect=mobile
Well, that clip was certainly reassuring...I think I'll skip that HazMat suit then :D

However, it would have been more relevant if the guy tested an old bulb way over the 200 hours.

Rorschach

#66 Post by Rorschach » Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:52 am

Hobbyst46 wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:12 pm
Rorschach wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:23 am
Lo and behold! Even the original HBO 200W lamphouse power supply was found from the abysmal depths of departmental storage, together with a used (1900 hours) bulb and a brand new one (Osram). No idea if the power has issues or is fully functional but there is some hope as the system apparently was retired as functional.

edit: those bulbs are supposed to have a rated average life of 200 hours so something does not add up. Either the counter is shot or someone was REALLY pushing their luck...if one of these explodes, you get mercury flying in all directions with some of it entering your lungs. Rather unlikeable situation I would say.

Reichert_200W_HBO_power_supply.jpg
From the above photos as well as the user manual, there is no counter on the PS, so - was the 1900 hours marked on or near the bulb itself ?
From my recollection, 200W mercury bulbs do not have a much longer life than the average.

I would suggest to be aware of the safety rules for such bulbs, anyway. The are most vulnerable when hot.
Although in principle, vacuumed glass containers implode, the rapid inflow of air can tend to spread sharp glass fragments around, and these IMHO are the risk factor. Have personally seen it on several occasions.
I will respect these things for sure. I was just sent photos of the power unit by the tech guy at the department - haven't yet seen the thing in person but should pick everything up by the end of the week! I'm giddy :D

Rorschach

#67 Post by Rorschach » Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:16 am

Okay, now the Polyvar is home! It's a pretty impressive tower of power, especially with the control unit / power supply for the 100W integral halogen and the separate power unit for the 200W HBO burner. It definitely has a large system footprint. A Cthulhu monster comes to mind with all the cables as tentacles crawling all over the place :lol: I do have the space for it, no problem, but will need to rearrange some fourniture, desks and shelves :-D

The XY-table is on it's way from Canada so any actual testing will have to wait for that and my own return from a work trip. I am also trying to get the original armrests from a scope shop in the US. Before the 200W power unit and an unused 200W bulb were found at the department, I thought it was gone for ever, and grabbed another Polyvar lamphouse from Germany. This one is for the 150W Xenon option and comes with the original Italian made Irem power supply. There is some kind of a problem with the lamphouse but the power unit is supposed to be tip top. They cost 100 euros. Also found three unused 150W bulbs from Germany for another 100 euros. So, at some point I may have all three options available: 100W integral halogen, 150W lamphouse Xenon and 200W lamphouse HBO!

The HBO burner power unit actually turned out to have the counter on the left side of the unit and it does show 1900 hours. So I guess somebody forgot to reset it when changing lamps.

I found an excellent Polyvar brochure pdf file but can I attach it here? It is around 11 megs in size.

Edit: I can't attach it here, I just get the file too large message. It is a real pity and a problem here that these very useful and interesting (and often hard to find) documents can't really be attached for general use and safe keeping. Having to rely on external links is a recipe for disaster and loss: all links die at some point and the valuable information is gone.

JWW

#68 Post by JWW » Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:15 pm

Send it to me then.

wabutter

#69 Post by wabutter » Mon May 01, 2023 12:57 am

Sorry I haven't been on the forum in a while.
Here are a couple of update points relative to the Univar/Polyvar. If i recall correctly, the Univar was introduced about 1973 and the Polyvar approximately 1975. The major difference is the Polyvar required phase specific objectives with annular rings on the back aperture while the Univar used a single set of objectives for all contrast methods. The annular diaphragms were superimposed in the infinity space on a turret. This allowed for anoptral, bright contrast and dark contrast phase with a single objective. I do not recall any anoptral phase objectives ever being produced for the Polyvar or subsequent Leica based infinity systems.
The slider with the red dot indicates the BF positions, the X mark is a occluder and the multidot position is a diffusers filter. the black objective like item with the cross hair window is for alignment of the HBO lamp.

Rorschach

#70 Post by Rorschach » Wed May 03, 2023 11:36 am

Sure Squintsalot wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:54 pm
Well, these things can't be that rare!

It might be worth nabbing this just for the parts!
I did stalk this one but the final price went far beyond of what I would consider reasonable for a parts donor piece. I think it ended up north of 600 USD.

Rorschach

#71 Post by Rorschach » Wed May 03, 2023 11:40 am

wabutter wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 12:57 am
Sorry I haven't been on the forum in a while.
Here are a couple of update points relative to the Univar/Polyvar. If i recall correctly, the Univar was introduced about 1973 and the Polyvar approximately 1975. The major difference is the Polyvar required phase specific objectives with annular rings on the back aperture while the Univar used a single set of objectives for all contrast methods. The annular diaphragms were superimposed in the infinity space on a turret. This allowed for anoptral, bright contrast and dark contrast phase with a single objective. I do not recall any anoptral phase objectives ever being produced for the Polyvar or subsequent Leica based infinity systems.
The slider with the red dot indicates the BF positions, the X mark is a occluder and the multidot position is a diffusers filter. the black objective like item with the cross hair window is for alignment of the HBO lamp.
Thanks again! Having people like you here who have worked at AO, Reichert or the other big, good ones, is a real blessing for the forum!

Would you happen to know any person or company who to contact in the hopes of finding a Polyvar repair manual? Or a parts sale document like the one for the Polyvar Met which I have on pdf and have been putting on here piece by piece (the slider photos and info pics in the other thread)?

apochronaut

#72 Post by apochronaut » Wed May 03, 2023 12:41 pm

You probably know of the docs. on here already?
https://www.science-info.net/docs/reichert/A4/

Rorschach

#73 Post by Rorschach » Wed May 03, 2023 12:57 pm

apochronaut wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 12:41 pm
You probably know of the docs. on here already?
https://www.science-info.net/docs/reichert/A4/
Yes, these I know of. But thanks anyway.

Rorschach

#74 Post by Rorschach » Fri May 05, 2023 5:24 am

This may be a dumb question but I will ask anyway. The universal condenser on the Polyvar has provisions for using centring keys. Alas, as you probably guessed, a microscope rescued from oblivion like this one, does not have the matching centring keys any more. But is there any need for them and for the centring actions, unless I actually want to use phase contrast? Will DIC, DF, BF, polarization and transmitted fluorescence work properly, regardless of the discs being centered properly or not?

wabutter

#75 Post by wabutter » Sat May 06, 2023 11:15 pm

Centering keys are used for the annular diaphragm adjustment in phase contrast. Fine tuning of the DF stop could also be used. Otherwise, Fluoro, POL, BF will also function with the open aperture of the turret. Centering the condenser to the Field Diaphragm should be independent of the annular stops and not problematic. I am trying to remember if the centering screws are simple hex head or square topped. If hex head, you should be able to use an allen wrench to adjust. I'll take a look at my condenser to see which type of screw is involved.

PeteM

#76 Post by PeteM » Sun May 07, 2023 12:10 am

Just to add to Wayne's good explanation, I've found (though not with a Polyvar) that shifting DIC prisms in something like an Olympus condenser will affect the image. Tweaking them helps makes an evenly dark DIC image possible.

It will almost surely be possible to make up replacement keys - and there have been Microbe Hunter threads covering various approaches.

einman

#77 Post by einman » Sun May 07, 2023 12:27 am

Incredible! Both the scope and the comments!

Rorschach

#78 Post by Rorschach » Sun May 07, 2023 5:40 am

Wayne & Pete, thanks again for the info! Look forward to finding out more about the centering keys.

Rorschach

#79 Post by Rorschach » Sun May 07, 2023 5:48 am

apochronaut wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:13 pm
The Polyvar is the second iiteration of the concept. The first was the Univar of which only about 500 were made but the important thing is that the objective complement that was originally manufactured for the Univar is also relavent to the Polyvar, as well as objectives later manufactured for other more modest models.. I had not seen a 10 X 0.32 iK objective before, only 10X 0.30, and only as a planapo. From the list suppplied by Michael G it seems that the 10X 0.32 IK is also a planapo, yet yours is not marked as such?

Additional to that list there are also the following coverslip corrected optics to my knowledge., some of which were also listed for the Diavar 2, the Polylite etc.
2X .08 plan fl apo
4X .13 planapo
10X .30 planfl apo
40X .70 planfl apo
63X 1.00 plan glyz. im. ( planachromat)
63X 1.00 plan oel . im. (planachromat)
100X 1.25 plan glyz.im. (planachromat)
100X 1.30 planfl apo oel im.
Reichert produced a whole range of objectives in the 80's called planfl apo. I list the only coverslip corrected ones I have actually seen above. There may have been others.
The original concept from the start was for all objectives with an N.A. over .75 to have been equipped with an iris. Later, they departed from that as the infinity corrected design principle was extended to more economical stands such as the Diavar 2 . Across the pond when AO extended it's objective parfocality to 45mm, three of the planfl apos were just marked planfl and offered for the Microstar IV and Diastar.

Additionally, there were phase objectives with higher colour correction and I believe anoptral versions in planachromat format too, although those may have been limited to the early days of Reichert's infinity corrected program. I have not seen anoptral objectives for the Univar or Polyvar, just heard about them. There is a forum member who knows something about that. Perhaps he will chip in.

The higher colour corrected phase objectives I know of are.

40X .70 planfluor phase. Odd objective with a very small, thin annulus. I have been told that it did not produce phase in a Univar but I was able to get DF/phase by pairing it with the 100X diaphragm in a Diastar. DF/phase/oblique even. I am using Reichert Austria phase objectives otherwise successfully in a Diastar, so it seems there is optical continuity between it and the Polyvar mostly.
40X 1.0 planapo oil phase
100X 1.30 planfl apo oil phase
100X 1.32 planapo oil phase
Presumahly there are 10X and 25X planapo phase versions too. Not seen them.

That fleshes out the objective options for it mostly.

The f.o.v. is 24mm. There was also a 16X W.P.K. eyepiece too.
I will certainly try to find the 2X .08 plan fl apo as I will want a high quality low power objective for transmitted light. Could this one possibly be also able to do IK and also let UV pass through (for epifluorescence)? I already learned from a member here that some of the Polyvar objectives (at least for reflected light) are actually able to do fine with IK, even though they have no 'IK' marking on them.

Alternatively, I may look for one of those Nikon NIS objective that you mention, a low power one that is. Edit: would they pass UV through?

einman

#80 Post by einman » Sun May 07, 2023 11:20 pm

If I didn't know better I would think apochronaut is actually just AI? Seriously-- simply astounding.

Rorschach

#81 Post by Rorschach » Mon May 08, 2023 6:29 am

einman wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 11:20 pm
If I didn't know better I would think apochronaut is actually just AI? Seriously-- simply astounding.
Yes...he seems to be a sentient tome of knowledge :D Along with a few others here.

Rorschach

#82 Post by Rorschach » Wed May 10, 2023 5:47 am

Bad news :( The aperture-iris diaphragm of the condenser appears to be stuck. I also noticed that the iris blades are not positioned normally. The knurled disc that operates the diaphram does budge a little both ways but that's it. For some reason I didn't check this the first thing when it arrived. Maybe because the other mechanics of the condenser worked perfectly. That was very stupid of me...

I am not sure how big a hurdle this will be and whether this is something I can try to repair myself.
20230510_084325.jpg
20230510_084325.jpg (78.9 KiB) Viewed 530657 times

Phill Brown

#83 Post by Phill Brown » Wed May 10, 2023 6:11 am

Iris diaphragm can be quite testy to reassemble, probably will take several attempts and test your resolve and patience.
They do stick, I also got lucky with a very nice scope that was given up on by a hospital, it's only fault was the diaphragm had been incorrectly assembled, made it virtually useless.

Hobbyst46

#84 Post by Hobbyst46 » Wed May 10, 2023 8:04 am

Dried oil and dust/dirt on the leaves are a common cause of this fault.
I would suggest, prior to taking the diaphragm apart, to clean it with a solvent. Heptane, octane, petrol ether, light fluid. Not acetone, not alcohol.
Start by applying the solvent drop-wise from within the aperture outwards. So it will penetrate in between the leaves. After 1-2 drops, try to work it, open and close, very gently. Patience is the key. Do not force anything. Add a few more drops according to the results. These solvents evaporate quickly. Just position the unit such that liquid will not flow directly to any nearby glass element.
When the leaves are closed (even not fully), wipe them with a piece of solvent-saturated Kimwipe, then with a dry wipe. When the diaphragm is fully restored, the leaves should be bone-dry.

Scarodactyl

#85 Post by Scarodactyl » Wed May 10, 2023 8:55 am

It is usually not hard. Just tedious and frustrating because you will have to start over a few times. You might be able to get one of the same dimensions to replace it, definitely worth measuring to see, that is if you can take it out.

Rorschach

#86 Post by Rorschach » Wed May 10, 2023 9:40 am

Thanks people for the valuable tips and insights on the iris problem! I have Ronsonol lighter fluid - I guess that would be suitable for cleaning the iris?

imkap

#87 Post by imkap » Wed May 10, 2023 10:16 am

Probably, I use 100% ethanol. Just don't force anything now, first disassemble then clean... Wipe each leaf carefully to remove residue. I use a wooden toothpick to help with assembly.
It is hard to do with anything metal (magnetic).

Not hard, you just need some time and calmness :mrgreen:

Rorschach

#88 Post by Rorschach » Wed May 10, 2023 11:55 am

imkap wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 10:16 am
Probably, I use 100% ethanol. Just don't force anything now, first disassemble then clean... Wipe each leaf carefully to remove residue. I use a wooden toothpick to help with assembly.

Ok, that is reassuring to read :) Although I am not exactly known for calmness :oops: But I will certainly restrain myself on this one. The iris assembly can't be reached without first opening the whole condenser. So that in itself will be nerve-wrecking.

Rorschach

#89 Post by Rorschach » Wed May 10, 2023 1:06 pm

Rorschach wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 11:55 am
imkap wrote:

Ok, that is reassuring to read :) Although I am not exactly known for calmness :oops: But I will certainly restrain myself on this one. The iris assembly can't be reached without first opening the whole condenser. So that in itself will be nerve-wrecking.

Edit: has anyone here opened up one of these condensers? Is there something to worry about, like small parts suddenly falling out if it is opened "wrong side up" or other similar things that Reichert maintenance people would know but a hobbyist not? Alignment things or similar to worry about?

imkap

#90 Post by imkap » Wed May 10, 2023 1:37 pm

Rorschach wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 1:06 pm
Rorschach wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 11:55 am
imkap wrote:

Edit: has anyone here opened up one of these condensers? Is there something to worry about, like small parts suddenly falling out if it is opened "wrong side up" or other similar things that Reichert maintenance people would know but a hobbyist not? Alignment things or similar to worry about?
I'd say that alignment is always something you'll have to think about when assembling microscope parts...
Nothing too complicated in a condenser, just after assembly one should be able to properly align different annuli or prisms...
Probably nothing will fall out, maybe there is a ball bearing inside.

Just go for it and take notes and/or pictures, take care not to scratch the optics. And clean the working place, desk from dust...