How many microscopes are enough? :<)

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
Scoper

How many microscopes are enough? :<)

#1 Post by Scoper » Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:12 pm

In the past I have had several scopes (meaning a lot of them)..different brands for the different techniques. Now as I reenter the hobby I am attempting have a single upright scope equipped for different techniques (bf,df, phase, pol), a stereo microscope for low magnifications and an inverted scope.

Getting there is harder than one would expect.

I am interested in hearing how others in the hobby have approached this.

Thanks for responses.

PeteM

Re: How many microscopes are enough? :<)

#2 Post by PeteM » Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:44 pm

Depending on what you want to do, and the space available, it seems you can justify having more than three microscopes:

1) A good stereo microscope, as you say.

2) A high-quality upright "system" scope equipped for BF, DF, phase, polarization, maybe DIC.

3) An inverted scope if you're interested in pond critters.

4) Plus - maybe a field or portable travel scope.

5) Plus - a scope set up for epi-illumination if you do much of it - so you don't have to continually break down and reassemble #2.

6) If you do optical experiments or high-quality photo work, something more like an optical erector set - a good stand, a support for cameras and side lighting, some LWD objectives, etc.

Sure Squintsalot

#3 Post by Sure Squintsalot » Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:19 pm

PeteM wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:44 pm
Depending on what you want to do, and the space available, it seems you can justify having more than three microscopes:

2) A high-quality upright "system" scope equipped for BF, DF, phase, polarization, maybe DIC.

5) Plus - a scope set up for epi-illumination if you do much of it - so you don't have to continually break down and reassemble #2.

6) If you do optical experiments or high-quality photo work, something more like an optical erector set - a good stand, a support for cameras and side lighting, some LWD objectives, etc.
That's a good selection of scopes for most microscopy. A bare bones setup for those with limited resources includes a stereoscope for sample prep, a beater travel scope, and a good chassis on which to throw all the other stuff (epi, DF, DIC, BF, POL, etc...). Permanently set up microscopes also take up quite a bit of bench space!

BramHuntingNematodes

#4 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:45 pm

Gonna want a stain scope for doing your stains it gets messy and chemically so good to have a separate scope
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

shutterbug

#5 Post by shutterbug » Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:21 am

Depending on what you need...or rather want - and how much money you can spend... between 1 and infinity.

I once bought a used record player from a guy and his whole flat was full of various record players.
He explained it like this: "I have the first one I bought and then I upgraded to another one. Then I got one for old shellack records and another one for various speeds. Then this one here is exclusively for modern records but with a nude stylus, this one too but it has a built-in amplifier. Oh a that one I bought for spares and fixed it myself. I got that one for playing scratched records and that one next to it is fully automatic - but I have two of those because they keep breaking and I need spare parts."
And he kept on going. Another smaller closet was full of amplifiers.

When I asked him why he sold the player I was about to buy it was because he needed space for...guess what.. another record player.

So yeah, 'enough' is not really the same as 'enough'.

dtsh

#6 Post by dtsh » Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:47 pm

For me, "enough" is 3-4; a stereo, phase contrast, and one for brightfield/darkfield/etc. That said, my current count is 12, but I'd like to get down to about 4.

An AO10 with phase contrast
An AO10 for darkfield/brightfield/etc as I have some of the advanced plan achromats
My Cycloptic (stereo)
An AO 150 phase as a loaner.
And lastly a Series 15 (older black body 160mm) because I think it is neat.

I think if I could find phase for the 15 at a reasonable price I'd part with the 150, but without that I'll probably eventually unload the 15 as well and just consolidate on AO's 34mm infinity.

The bigger question for me is how many tubs of spare parts, heads, objectives, etc does one need? :P

Rorschach

#7 Post by Rorschach » Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:10 pm

It's starting to look like my number will be five :D

There's already two Wild stereos that are being used on a weekly basis. Two are needed because I was never able to find that elusive Wild M10 at a reasonable cost. Had I found it, the M8 would have been sold and an objective slider bought for the M10 (giving a "zoom range" from 8x to 160x or even 5x to 160x, depending on objectives).

The Polyvar will be the high-power heart of the system, accompanied by an Orthoplan which probably will be set up for water immersion and DF. The last one will be an inverted scope, most likely a Diavert but it remains to be seen what I will run into later on and it could also be a Labovert or a Fluovert. Maybe even a Reichert inverted if they have good ones.

...yeah, I don't think I'm quite right in the head :D

Rorschach

#8 Post by Rorschach » Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:15 pm

Sure Squintsalot wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:19 pm
PeteM wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:44 pm

That's a good selection of scopes for most microscopy. A bare bones setup for those with limited resources includes a stereoscope for sample prep, a beater travel scope, and a good chassis on which to throw all the other stuff (epi, DF, DIC, BF, POL, etc...). Permanently set up microscopes also take up quite a bit of bench space!
Stereoscope for sample prep? Whaaat? :D They are the real workhorse around here, doing most of the heavy lifting like critter ID work, fluorescence of otoliths (age det.).

Scarodactyl

#9 Post by Scarodactyl » Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:32 pm

The m10 is worth it imo. One came up for just over 1k a coupke weeks ago or so.
As to how many, hmm. One upright epi lwd metallurgical scope for high res reflected light work, one biological scope just to have one, one petrographic scope so I won't look like a chump to other geologists, one photomacroscope for lower mag photography work with more flexible lighting, one higher res stereo on a gemological base for gem examination and one lwd stereo on a boom for working under and removing splinters. So.....6.
How many do I actually have? I am choosing to invoke my 5th amendment right against self incrimination.

Alexander

#10 Post by Alexander » Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:44 pm

The answer is simple: one could never have enough microscopes!

PeteM

#11 Post by PeteM » Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:32 pm

Carl Hunsinger (author of oustanding Olympus BH2 fix-it guides) has the right idea. Page six of his Olympus "musings" has a bit about "now selling a bunch of stuff."

https://www.slideshare.net/AntonioFranc ... es-olympus

apochronaut

#12 Post by apochronaut » Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:39 am

Me too. Most of what I have acquired over the past 50 + years is going. I'm still keeping too much : 7 biological, 1 epi and 3 stereos but those will go eventually.
Basically it is all for sale, I guess.
I would be happy with one multiple nosepiece 100 watt stand and a high end stereo, so in my case it would be s 3 nosepiece Diastar and a BS-3090.

Phill Brown

#13 Post by Phill Brown » Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:19 am

When you don't want any more even as a gift.

Adam Long

#14 Post by Adam Long » Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:33 pm

I accumulated four Zeiss standards before making room for a Universal. It has a big footprint but is now truly worthy of the name with all the lighting options I want plus easy switching between, as well an Optovar and Trino head built-in. Stage and condenser are easily adjusted or removed as required. I usually use 7 different objectives on the Epi head via quick change rings, giving BF, DF, Pol and Epi-DIC. For trans I have three nosepieces, inc one widefield, using one for a general dry set, one for phase, and one for high mags with oil. Different condensers give BF, DF, Pol, Phase, Ultra-DF or DIC. Along with a decent stereo it does anything and I've little desire for anything else, although I'll admit to being curious about the bigger fields and higher contrast modern objectives might bring.

I also have an Invertscope-D which gets used occasionally for pond life in petri dishes. With the 0.8x tube factor, a 2.5x objective gives a pretty big true field, and a long distance 20x gets it up to 160x before you need to switch to an inverted slide or typically, the Universal.

Crater Eddie

#15 Post by Crater Eddie » Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:21 pm

I have one that I use most often, 3 more that I use occasionally, and 6 more that I am working on.
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)
Cameras: Canon T3i, Olympus E-P1 MFT, Amscope 3mp USB

AntoniScott

#16 Post by AntoniScott » Sun May 14, 2023 4:05 pm

Microscopes to me are fascinating and precision instruments. How many microscopes is enough depends on what you want them for.

I collect vintage microscopes. One is a highly prized Seibert Wetzlar that is at least 125 years old. The level of precision for the late 1800's to early 1900's is remarkable.

Other vintage microscopes that I have are low level amateur to mid-high professional microscopes from Lafayette Radio and Electronics from the 1958-era. I am attracted to these microscopes because of their sentimental value. I have two 1200x , one 900x and a semi-professional 1500x that uses a 100x oil immersion. All these scopes are of marginal quality and the optical quality has degraded over time due to glass degradation, etc.
I have a more modern binocular microscope by Bristoline using the "short" objectives familiar on scopes from decades ago. The optical quality is outstanding. I also have four Olympus microscopes, two CH2's and two BH2's. One of the BH2's is unique in that the objective turret is quickly removable. Microscope enthusiasts or specialty microscope users could swap out the objective turret in seconds. Perhaps the user would have a set of normal objectives and swap them out for phase contrast objectives.

The Olympus CH2 is an entry level scope with excellent optics. The objective turret had four objectives only and was not removable.
The BH2 was a slightly more advanced body design and had better optics. They came with four or five objective turrets. They were fixed and not removable. The BH2-BHT is similar to the BH2. The objective turrets were available in four, five and six objective options, all easily able to be changed in seconds. All these scopes use the long type objective that are not of the infinity design. I upgraded two of my scopes with trinocular heads so that I could take pictures. I also have 5x,10x,15x, 20x and 25x eyepieces but use the 10x most of the time.

I consider myself as a microscope hobbyist and use my microscopes constantly. My hobby is to make professional microscope slides and sometimes take photographs.
The reality is that 99.9% of my use would only require one microscope with three objectives (5x,10x and 20x) but I realized years ago that my interest went far beyond just owning any microscope. I guess I'm obsessed with them. Someone told me that if something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing. Regarding the use of a six objective turret, I guess that three is OK, four is better, five is even better than four and six is just enough. I just like looking at a microscope with its turret bristling with objectives. The question "how many microscopes is enough?" depends.
Attachments
IMG_5709 (2)aaa.jpg
IMG_5709 (2)aaa.jpg (155.97 KiB) Viewed 7031 times

einman

#17 Post by einman » Mon May 15, 2023 4:49 pm

Ahhh..the age old question. I have been as high as 30 stands and am currently at my lowest with 20. However, I am going to be selling off stands and objectives shortly given my lab has shrunk considerably. My primary focus will be entomology so will retain the 3 stereos. Trying to pare down the biological stands will be the most difficult, as I do not have a single stand that is currently equipped to do it all. Primarily hindered by the fact that both Diaplans only have a condenser with a 0.9 na top and the only high na Leitz top I have is fitted to the condenser on the Dialux 20 EB. It will not fit the condenser of the Diaplan. The Dialux 20 EB is set-up for phase contrast/oil immersion. All my Leitz stands are 160 TL. The Bestscope 2080 and AO 110 are the only infinity stands I have and rarely use the AO these days, so it will most likely go as well as any extra objectives. I have multiple B&L stands including several dynazooms equipped with standard and APO objectives. Those will go.

Decisions decisions..
I could sell of some stands and try and complete one stand to do it all. Although despite years of watching E-bay I have never seen a Leitz 1.4 oel condenser top listed. I do not own a DIC stand. I should never have sold my AO 21 with DIC. Would love to equip the Diaplan with DIC but the cost is prohibitive.

Oh well...

Rorschach

#18 Post by Rorschach » Mon May 15, 2023 5:08 pm

einman wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 4:49 pm
Ahhh..the age old question. I have been as high as 30 stands and am currently at my lowest with 20. However, I am going to be selling off stands and objectives shortly given my lab has shrunk considerably. My primary focus will be entomology so will retain the 3 stereos. Trying to pare down the biological stands will be the most difficult, as I do not have a single stand that is currently equipped to do it all. Primarily hindered by the fact that both Diaplans only have a condenser with a 0.9 na top and the only high na Leitz top I have is fitted to the condenser on the Dialux 20 EB. It will not fit the condenser of the Diaplan. The Dialux 20 EB is set-up for phase contrast/oil immersion. All my Leitz stands are 160 TL. The Bestscope 2080 and AO 110 are the only infinity stands I have and rarely use the AO these days, so it will most likely go as well as any extra objectives. I have multiple B&L stands including several dynazooms equipped with standard and APO objectives. Those will go.

Decisions decisions..
I could sell of some stands and try and complete one stand to do it all. Although despite years of watching E-bay I have never seen a Leitz 1.4 oel condenser top listed. I do not own a DIC stand. I should never have sold my AO 21 with DIC. Would love to equip the Diaplan with DIC but the cost is prohibitive.

Oh well...
You should hunt for a biological Polyvar ;-) Only need the stereos to accompany it.

einman

#19 Post by einman » Mon May 15, 2023 5:24 pm

Rorschach wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 5:08 pm
einman wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 4:49 pm

Decisions decisions..

Oh well...
You should hunt for a biological Polyvar ;-) Only need the stereos to accompany it.
I lied when I said the only infinitys stands I have are the Bestscope and the AO110. I have a Biostar inverted as well as a Zeiss inverted which are both infinity...

Polyvar..hmmm...

apochronaut

#20 Post by apochronaut » Tue May 16, 2023 11:01 am

The best option I came across in economical upright stands is something in the series 400/420 family. I was lucky enough to snag a Diastar cheaply which is pretty broad spectrum in capability. DIC is possible but rare. Phase is pretty easy to find and set up, even planapo phase but those objectives take some searching.The condenser is the same as the 110. DF condenser the same as 110 too. You can option for the Reichert U.S.A. objectives or search out the Polyvar/Univar objectives. The Austrian objectives offer planapo imaging possibilities, so in total there are excellent planachros, planfluor and planapo options. You just need an eyepiece swap to AO #145 for the Austrian objectives, although if the objectives are mixed ( U.S. and Austrian) in a stand, that really isn't much of a hardship. Using the #145 doesn't seem to affect the U.S.A. objectives as much as using the stock #181 eyepieces affects the Austrian objectives. .
The nice thing is that they can be set up as a kind of mini-Polyvar, using 6 objectives, 2 or 2.5x to 100. The fluorescence system is similar to that of the Poly, if one is into that. Smaller footprint and a 20mm f.o.v.
Even the 5 objective Microstar IV can be set up similarly. Those stands are really cheap but you lose the nosepiece swap feature. Phase capability is the same but you would lose the high illumination for hi-magnification DF and fluor. There was DIC for it too but again, rare. With it's smaller footprint the series 400 might be a good project to base a good led system on in order to get the lumens up for 1000X DF.

I am experimenting with fitting the Polyvar 24mm f.o.v. eyepieces on a series 400 head. The data for AO objective designs shows that 24mm was the f.o.v. on all that I could find data on, so it may have been a standardized target f.o.v. Obviously the Reichert Austria objectives achieve that.

Scoper

#21 Post by Scoper » Tue May 23, 2023 6:41 pm

In the past I have had the privilege of using many older scopes of different brands.

At this point in my life, I am attempting to practice restraint in having too many scopes and trying to limit myself to a stereomicroscope, an upright frame with various capabilities, a portable Mcarthur scope and finally an inverted scope for study of pond life.

We’ll see how successful I am in this endeavor..LOL.

Any other suggestions that have worked for you?

BramHuntingNematodes

#22 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Wed May 24, 2023 4:47 pm

The difference in hoarding and collecting is organization and storage

Scoper

#23 Post by Scoper » Wed May 24, 2023 7:26 pm

It’s a beautiful sight!

When the time to downsize comes, what one scope will you keep?

BramHuntingNematodes

#24 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Wed May 24, 2023 7:40 pm

The 1942 B&L

Scarodactyl

#25 Post by Scarodactyl » Wed May 24, 2023 7:47 pm

That's a nice lineup! The sz7 with uwf eyepieces is a very powerful scope.

AntoniScott

#26 Post by AntoniScott » Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:27 am

Wow, what a wonderful collection.
My goal is to acquire some vintage American made microscopes (Spencer, American Optical, Bausch & Lomb) from the early 1900's to the 1940's.
The pictured Seibert Wetzlar is vintage, probably from 1895 to 1910, not sure. When delivered is was badly damaged during shipping due to poor packaging. The Base was broken, the coarse focus knob was badly bent and the condenser rack and pinion was also bent. I was able to straighten the Coarse focus knob so it worked, but the condenser rack would not move due to a bent frame. I was able to find a used base from an old Bausch and Lomb scope being sold for parts. The base was similar but required extra drilling to make the upper frame fit the base. The scope looks original, but it is not because of the replaced base. Fortunately the optics are surprisingly in good condition.
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg (134.9 KiB) Viewed 6353 times
s-l1600 (4).jpg
s-l1600 (4).jpg (174.65 KiB) Viewed 6353 times
s-l1600 (3).jpg
s-l1600 (3).jpg (123.33 KiB) Viewed 6353 times
s-l1600 (2).jpg
s-l1600 (2).jpg (144.5 KiB) Viewed 6353 times

josmann

#27 Post by josmann » Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:02 am

BramHuntingNematodes wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 4:47 pm
The difference in hoarding and collecting is organization and storage
Very classy - I love it.

I'm on 17 with one in the mail. I bought a couple storage cabinets but they quickly filled up. As a bachelor, I don't find much use in eating at my dining table - it's better as a microscope storage space :)
The highest quality live-streamed microscopy in the world.
Sundays around 8PST: https://www.youtube.com/@diettoms/streams
Occasionally (for now): https://www.twitch.tv/diettoms

Join the Discord: https://discord.gg/FgpUUnJaSE

Polymerase

#28 Post by Polymerase » Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:47 pm

I think one should have either a 160 microscopes or an infinite number…

On the serious side, I do not consider the number of instruments the important question, but rather how your posessions acommodate your needs. I own 10 microscopes, of which three are antiquities.
On a daily basis, I am using only two of them, namely two olympus BH2 scopes on the BHS stand. These are highly versatile, and can be modified in a number of ways. As such, I do not need many microscopes, but rather equipment to change modalities. Working mainly with human tissue samples, most work is done in brightfield. I’ve aquired a full set (4x, 10x, 20x, 40x and 100x oil) of splan apochromats, a full set of dplans and some splans. I can change them via swapping nosepieces in a few seconds.
Each BH2 has its own aplanat achromat condenser (0.10 to 1.40), and I can swap one of these for a plain abbe (0.10 - 1.25).

Occasionally, I need darkfield. I use a condenser insert with prefabricated stops. I’ve little use for high power DF, but I would like to get a DF condenser.

One of the scopes is set up for phase contrast. The other has a vertical fluorescence illuminator (the BH2 RFCA) with a 100W mercury burner (and ridiculously large and heavy power supply). I am not well trained in fluorescence, and have little use for it, but I have certain plans when having spent some time learning how to use it.

Both scopes can be equipped for polarizing. This is not an everyday need, but certain procedures require it (i.e. looking for amyloid plaques in tissues).

To me, the important thing is having versatile instruments, that can be easily modified into what you need, not a defined number of scopes. At present I do not have the option for DIC, but I do not really need it. Some day, I may want to experiment with this modality, but it is not of importance as of today. I believe both of my BH2s can meet this need when it presents itself.

I take pictures with a PMTVC and an NFK 2.5x. This is not quite satisfactory, but the NFK 1.67x is so rare and expensive….The 2.5x gives good pictures, but the crop factor is a little too high. Getting an overview image of a specimen is not easy, unless I acquire a camera with a bigger sensor.

What I do not have, is a stereo microscope. It is not something I would use much, but I would like to have one someday.

In sum, 2 - 3 scopes is probably sufficient for me. But I like exploring new instruments, and could easily own all the scopes in the world, just for having them. And old brass scopes is somewhat a passion. At present, I prioritize add-ons and modifications for my BHS scopes.

The lady of the house has different opinions on the correct number of microscopes. Just mentioning.

einman

#29 Post by einman » Sun Jul 23, 2023 1:56 am

Polymerase wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:47 pm

The lady of the house has different opinions on the correct number of microscopes. Just mentioning.
This statement no doubts applies to many of us! Despite saying I am going to trim down I find myself looking at new scopes .....still! I am a Greedy (insert your choice of any colorful word)!

Scarodactyl

#30 Post by Scarodactyl » Sun Jul 23, 2023 2:52 am

einman wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 1:56 am
Polymerase wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:47 pm

This statement no doubts applies to many of us! Despite saying I am going to trim down I find myself looking at new scopes .....still! I am a Greedy (insert your choice of any colorful word)!
What's left? I'll admit I've been feeling less motivation to buy anything recently, kind of feel like I'm sufficiently kitted.