Reichert Plan 1,25x

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
Rorschach

Reichert Plan 1,25x

#1 Post by Rorschach » Mon May 08, 2023 11:04 am

Hi fellow microscopists!

I bumped into a rather rare (at least to me) Reichert lens; an infinity 1,25x a= 0,0375
What was it for? I guess it must work on the Polyvar, being an infinity objective.

Here's pics:
Reichert_Plan1_25x1.jpg
Reichert_Plan1_25x1.jpg (26.68 KiB) Viewed 11270 times
Reichert_Plan1_25x2.jpg
Reichert_Plan1_25x2.jpg (30.74 KiB) Viewed 11270 times
Reichert_Plan1_25x3.jpg
Reichert_Plan1_25x3.jpg (29.71 KiB) Viewed 11270 times

apochronaut

Re: Reichert Plan 1,25x

#2 Post by apochronaut » Mon May 08, 2023 3:45 pm

I have never seen one of those. It isn't listed in the 1972 Univar brochure or manual but has the dated objective design going back to the 70's. It probably came along later in the objective development program. It seems that the Polyvar used the same objectives initially as the Univar so a Polyvar objective brochure might show that one.As time went on it probably became too expensive to mfg. all objectives over .75 N.A.with iris diaphragms and other models like the Polycon and Polylite came along, so objectives with phase annuli started being made as well as objectives with N.A.'s over .75 not fitted with iris diaphragms.
For instance in the objective listings for the Univar and presumably for the first Polyvars too, the 63X 1.0 plan glycerin immersion objective has an iris. I own one with a painted barrel, so 1980's or later that does not have an iris.

Rorschach

#3 Post by Rorschach » Mon May 08, 2023 4:39 pm

Yep, a rarity it seems. I tried to go through all available Reichert literature, brochures etc. that are available on the web but couldn't find this lens in any of those. In fact the lowest magnification in general was 2x so this is truly a peculiar one. Well, I got it for 85 euros including shipping and it's on the way to me now. I wonder what it's use was as low mag objectives aren't common in general with any brand.

It seems that comprehensive Reichert objective catalogues haven't been scanned and put online, especially those from the last 20 years or so. I am sure those catalogues have existed and most likely still do, gathering dust in attics and university storage rooms.

I also found several Reichert infinity objectives for infrared work. Now that is something peculiar as well and I haven't seen those in any literature either. Alas, I can't afford them as the asking price was pretty steep.

wabutter

#4 Post by wabutter » Mon May 08, 2023 8:15 pm

I finally dug into my Reichert catalog to try and find this objective. I recall it in the program for the Polyvar, but can't realize the details. I have reference materials for the Life Science Polyvar, and Polyvar 2 as well as the Polyvar Met, Polylites up to the 88 with literature from 1983 to 1990. There is no reference to the 1.25x objective in any lit that I have. The lowest mag listed is the 2.5x. There was also a 2x produced for the Univar and the early Polyvars, but my lit does not show any reference for that objective either. As Apochronaut mentioned, there is a good chance it was part of the Univar program. I know I used to have Univar brochure and order guide, but can't put my hands on for the moment.
I'll keep looking.

apochronaut

#5 Post by apochronaut » Tue May 09, 2023 12:21 am

It is so good to have your input on these irregularities as well as anything else, Wayne. Looks like the systems evolved but unfortunately not a lot of documentation was kept. I remember that E.Leitz Wetzlar issued a memorandum in the early 90's sometime that support for E.Leitz Wetzlar and Wild Heerbrugg was to be discontinued on a certain date and that henceforward, the company would be called Leica Microsystems split off into Leica Geosystems too.I really didn't understand the implications at the time.
Maybe it was recommended to destroy older documentation for older microscope systems ? After all they were competitors all of a sudden.

Rorschach

#6 Post by Rorschach » Tue May 09, 2023 6:07 am

wabutter wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 8:15 pm
I finally dug into my Reichert catalog to try and find this objective. I recall it in the program for the Polyvar, but can't realize the details. I have reference materials for the Life Science Polyvar, and Polyvar 2 as well as the Polyvar Met, Polylites up to the 88 with literature from 1983 to 1990. There is no reference to the 1.25x objective in any lit that I have. The lowest mag listed is the 2.5x. There was also a 2x produced for the Univar and the early Polyvars, but my lit does not show any reference for that objective either. As Apochronaut mentioned, there is a good chance it was part of the Univar program. I know I used to have Univar brochure and order guide, but can't put my hands on for the moment.
I'll keep looking.
Great if you can find the time to do that!

Wayne, since you seem to have a collection of Reichert literature seldom found anywhere, it occurred to me that would it make sense to scan them or have someone scan them for you? The files could then be archived here and other places too, free to use by everyone. I could volunteer for the scanning job and also pay overseas shipping expenses both ways.

apochronaut

#7 Post by apochronaut » Tue May 09, 2023 8:09 am

I would want to archive them in more than one place. One service oriented, such as here and one more permanent. The Reichert factory in Buffalo continued to do microscope service, more than 10 years after it became a dedicated opthalmic company but Reichert Microscope Service ceased in 2015 or so. They used to have a lot of manuals on line even up to 2020 but I cannot find them anymore. I had a link bookmarked but the harddrive died.
Perhaps there is a facility in Austria that could archive them. It would be in the Austrian national interest. In the U.S. , the Smithsonian and Hathi Trust maintain quite a few historical scientific documents. Many microscope manuals and brochures. Some just listed but being digitized for public download over time.

There is this. https://www.scribd.com/document/3464404 ... var-Manual

and Neeley's site. https://user.xmission.com/~psneeley/Per ... oscope.htm, where there is a Univar manual translated and uploaded to the site by a forum member.

also available here. https://www.manualslib.com/manual/12894 ... nivar.html

Rorschach

#8 Post by Rorschach » Tue May 09, 2023 10:34 am

Yes, definitely in more than one place, to be on the safe side. After all, that kind of literature is extremely valuable to hobbyists.

I have a 75 page Leica 1991/1992 catalog/brochure in German which I am going to scan next week. Unfortunately it doesn't have objective lists or other useful details and only has a short snippet on each of the scopes but it does serve other interests. It is probably the only catalog that has all these simultaneously on it's pages: Cambridge Instruments Microzoom, Photozoom, Galen III, Wild M3, M8, M10, M420, Reichert Polyvar 2, Polyvar 2 Met, Polylite 88, Polyvar SC, Epistar, Diastar, Biostar, Microstar IV, Leitz Orthoplan, Aristoplan, Diaplan, Ergolux, Ergoplan, Ergoplan XL, Biomed, Labovert, Fluovert, Metallovert, Aristomet and Metallux 3.

Plus a huge number of other instruments, of course.

Almost all of the scopes in the catalog still carry the original name, not Leica. So this catalog was really at the high water mark, right before everything was named Leica.

Edit: corrected some typos and added font color.
Edit2: The catalog came with a Leica brochure "Das Mikroskop Leitz DMRX/E" in German. There is talk about Delta Optics in it. Am I correct to assume that Delta Optics objectives might work on a Polyvar? If I have understood correctly from other thread on here, the "new" family of Leica diascopic microscopes in the early 90ies was largely based on Reichert infinity optics?

apochronaut

eRe: Reichert Plan 1,25x

#9 Post by apochronaut » Tue May 09, 2023 1:27 pm

There were 3 infinity systems in the family prior to Delta. Possibly that is why it is called Delta? or maybe due to it being the 4th system to come out of Wetzlar. Or maybe both.
The infinity corrected timeline is thus. All dates are approximate because they are circumstantial evidence based on stuff I have seen and some catalogue info. I have few sequential catalogues to base them on.. Wayne might be able to refine them.
1 ) 1961-1985 AO and 1978 to 1988 Reichert Austria. This is a 182mm focal length 34mm parfocal infinity corrected system.
2) 1972-1992 Reichert Austria. Maybe Leica. This is a 182mm focal length 45mm parfocal infinity corrected system.
3) 1985- 2002 AO/Reichert U.S.A. and Leica. This is a 182mm focal length 45mm parfocal infinity corrected system, with slightly different chromatic parameters than the ones used in Austria.The main difference is a tiny percentage of lateral ca, which can easily be accomodated for by changing eyepieces.
4) 1991-1997 Leica Delta. This is a 200mm focal length infinity corrected system.
I am thinking the Delta objectives were all 45mm parfocal but since you have a reference , were they also later 60mm?

It is hard to know exactly, which of the 182mm systems they based Delta on but it was most likely one of the 45mm parfocal systems. There would be a slight magnification loss using Delta objectives in a Polyvar ( a little under 10%) and you might have to use Leica 30mm bore eyepieces to effect slight corrections.
That is in fact what I have to do using Univar or Polyvar objectives in a Diastar. There seems to be a small degree of overcorrection by the 45mm parfocal AO/Reichert objectives, so when using Reichert Austria objectives I have to use slightly compensating eyepieces. It turns out that AO #145 eyepieces are perfect.

Rorschach

#10 Post by Rorschach » Tue May 09, 2023 3:17 pm

What you say about Delta Optics on Polyvar certainly sounds encouraging. I would definitely not mind a slight loss of magnification like that - especially as the Polyvar has the high quality magnification change turret on it which can be used to compensate. Do you think Delta Optics IK objectives would also work with Polyvar IK?

I can maybe take photos of those few pages where Delta Optics are being discussed and put them here. Perhaps someone here with better German skills than myself can do a translation.

P.S. Einman, as you can see, apochronaut and wabutter just keep delivering :D No matter what I ask or bring forward, not before long there is a detailed answer by one or both of them :)

wabutter

#11 Post by wabutter » Wed May 10, 2023 8:18 pm

Lots going on since my last post, I agree scanning the lit will be helpful.
Regarding Delta optics. Objective thread size is different from the DMR and the Polyvar and the reference focal length is different as well as lateral color correction in the tube lens. An image could be formed, but would not be an improvement over the original platform.

In you look in the foot not area of your brochures, there will be the month and year the brochure was produces, you might gain some insight on the vintage of the literature. More to follow. I have a scanner, but the process is labor intensive. Where would be want to archive this information to?

Rorschach

#12 Post by Rorschach » Thu May 11, 2023 7:11 am

wabutter wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 8:18 pm
Lots going on since my last post, I agree scanning the lit will be helpful.
Regarding Delta optics. Objective thread size is different from the DMR and the Polyvar and the reference focal length is different as well as lateral color correction in the tube lens. An image could be formed, but would not be an improvement over the original platform.

In you look in the foot not area of your brochures, there will be the month and year the brochure was produces, you might gain some insight on the vintage of the literature. More to follow. I have a scanner, but the process is labor intensive. Where would be want to archive this information to?
Okay, no Delta Optics for the Polyvar then I guess. With time, I am sure I will manage to find a couple of the original Polyvar/Univar Plan Apos that are compatible and which I don't have now.

The print date on the big 75 page catalog is 1991. The print date on the "Das Mikroskop Leitz DMRX/E" is 1992.

The scanning is quite tedious, yes. Are you sure you don't need help with that?

I think the scans probably should be on here (if the owner/moderator elaborates on this a bit) and other microscope sites as well. I will try to find whether a more formal depository in Austria could also be found, like apochronaut suggested.

Rorschach

#13 Post by Rorschach » Fri May 12, 2023 6:04 am

Here's pics of the two pages in the Leitz DMRX/E brochure that deal with Delta Optics. Perhaps someone with skills in German can summarize the main points.
20230512_085808.jpg
20230512_085808.jpg (151.52 KiB) Viewed 10958 times
20230512_085830.jpg
20230512_085830.jpg (115.78 KiB) Viewed 10958 times

apochronaut

#14 Post by apochronaut » Fri May 12, 2023 11:32 am

From what Wayne says about Delta optics, it sounds like they may have built the system around the AO/Reichert 45mm system because there was a difference in lateral colour correction of something like .6% between it and the Reichert Austria system. My reading of the Reichert Austria system is that it was fully corrected, then for some reason when the AO designers extended their parfocal length in order to get more room in the barrel, they opted to leave some fine adjusting of the ca corrections for the eyepiece. Leica mentions using eyepiece corrections in their literature too, so maybe there is some correction outside of ca, spherical or astigmatism that was better handled in the objective barrel, so a little ca overcorrection resulted. I don't think it is possible or maybe I should say was possible to correct for all aberrations in a smaller barrel. If you correct completely for ca, then that leaves another needing trimming in the tube lens or eyepiece.

Irregardless, if a super deal came along on a very desirable Delta objective or a set, it should be possible to use other eyepieces to effect the necessary corrections for lateral ca because the Reichert eyepieces are in the neutral range of corrective capacity but then you would need a 25mm adapter and adapters to lengthen the parfocality of existing objectives. Might not be worth the hassle.
My Diastar is in a similar situation. I have one 6 place nosepiece with Reichert Austria objectives another 6 place nosepiece with AO/Reichert phase objectives. Each nosepiece when changed also requires an eyepiece change due to the .6% lateral ca difference. The Reichert Austria objectives when used in the Diastar are slightly over corrrcted, so eyepieces with a little more compensation are required to quell that little bit of ca.The objectives are all 45mm R.M.S., so it is pretty essy.

I could see it being done in your case using the epi 27mm (?) nosepiece with adapters for the 25mm objectives. I would want to try one objective first in order to try out eyepiece correction/compensation. Maybe the Leica eyepieces, maybe not. I wouldn't toss the idea of using Delta optics out the window yet but there also may be no major advantage. The Reichert system did lack certain objectives that may exist as Delta. Sixty X planapo for instance but the 40X 1.0 oil would be as good with 16X eyepieces but then you are stuck with oil. There was no 40X dry planapo that I know of but there was a really nice 40X .70 planfluor ( DIC capable) for the U.S.A. program. Same reference length but .6% lateral ca difference, so an eyepiece change might be in order. Since you are jnterested in IK objectives, there may be more latitude in the Delta offerings too. The Reichert U.S.A. offerings work well with an eyepiece swap. 7 Planachros ( excellent but not any better than Reichert Austria plan achros) and most easily and cheaply found. 5 Neoplans easily and cheaply found. 4 planfluors, hard to find. I believe the latter are duplicated by Reichert Austria planapo fluors and the latter possibly easier to find.

wabutter

#15 Post by wabutter » Fri May 12, 2023 11:32 pm

As I pointed out earlier, the Leica Delta optics are a reference 200mm focal length w/ M25 objective threads. vs 180mm RMS for the Vienna based objectives.(Bio) As Apochronaut pointed out the US based objectives with the US eyepieces for the 45mm Reichert objectives had a different ca from the Vienna based objectives. The eyepieces for the Polyvar with 30mm diameter were compensated, while the US eyepieces were uncompensated and the ca corrections were handled in the tube lens. Not unlike the CF objective program from Nikon. This philosophy was originated by AO in the 60's.

This was not the case for the Delta and HC class optics produced in Wetzlar. They used some compensation in the tube lens as well as in the eyepieces.

With regards to the gap in magnification offering from the Reichert Vienna. All Polyvars had a 4 position mag changer, that included 0.8x, 1.0x, 1.25x and 2.0x, Some Met versions subbed a 2.5x in place of the 2.0.
This allowed the Polyvar to fill gaps in the mag range with while maintaining often time higher N.A.s. When the 0.8x magnification changer was employed the FOV was 30mm. I believe still the largest in the industry.

Scarodactyl

#16 Post by Scarodactyl » Sat May 13, 2023 12:26 am

Tied with mitutoyo at 30mm, though they can deliver it at 1x (with gigantic oversized eyepieces).

Rorschach

#17 Post by Rorschach » Sat May 13, 2023 4:33 am

Thanks again, these are fascinating to read! That's what I thought as well: the Polyvar magnification changer is a real game changer (pun intended) as it in my scope's case basically triples the number of available magnifications. From what I have read, the optics are extremely high quality so there's no real trade-off in terms of image quality. Almost like a zoom but without the negative aspects of it.

My scope has a Bertrand lens at the fourth position of the magnification changer. I remember reading somewhere that a Bertrand lens can also be used to inspect an objective's internal lenses for fungus, delamination or other problems. But I do not know how that is actually done on a scope? Edit: maybe not possible to do with the Polyvar Bertrand lens as a way to focus it would be required.

MichaelG.

#18 Post by MichaelG. » Sat May 13, 2023 6:44 am

Rorschach wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 6:04 am
Here's pics of the two pages in the Leitz DMRX/E brochure that deal with Delta Optics. Perhaps someone with skills in German can summarize the main points.
If you could kindly provide flatter-field, higher resolution, photos of the text pages … I will try using an image translation App

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

apochronaut

#19 Post by apochronaut » Sun May 14, 2023 2:11 pm

Rorschach wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 4:33 am
Thanks again, these are fascinating to read! That's what I thought as well: the Polyvar magnification changer is a real game changer (pun intended) as it in my scope's case basically triples the number of available magnifications. From what I have read, the optics are extremely high quality so there's no real trade-off in terms of image quality. Almost like a zoom but without the negative aspects of it.

My scope has a Bertrand lens at the fourth position of the magnification changer. I remember reading somewhere that a Bertrand lens can also be used to inspect an objective's internal lenses for fungus, delamination or other problems. But I do not know how that is actually done on a scope? Edit: maybe not possible to do with the Polyvar Bertrand lens as a way to focus it would be required.
The Bertrand lens IS basically a mag. changer but adjusted to focus on the rear focal plane of the objective and with limited focus travel. You couldn't really use it to inspect a modern complex objective all the way through due to their extreme length and the fact that in many cases the rear focal plane is near the rear diaphragm , so you would need to focus down through between 34 and 60mm of glass with many plan objectives. You might be able to on an older achromat where the total length of the lens pack in the objective might be only 1/2 cm. or so.
In the Polyvar, the Bertrand lens in that location is likely used mostly for aligning the phase rings.

Rorschach

#20 Post by Rorschach » Sun May 14, 2023 7:22 pm

apochronaut wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 2:11 pm
Rorschach wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 4:33 am

The Bertrand lens IS basically a mag. changer but adjusted to focus on the rear focal plane of the objective and with limited focus travel. You couldn't really use it to inspect a modern complex objective all the way through due to their extreme length and the fact that in many cases the rear focal plane is near the rear diaphragm , so you would need to focus down through between 34 and 60mm of glass with many plan objectives. You might be able to on an older achromat where the total length of the lens pack in the objective might be only 1/2 cm. or so.
In the Polyvar, the Bertrand lens in that location is likely used mostly for aligning the phase rings.
This is what I thought but you put it much more eloquently and with detailed information. So I will use my stereo with DF/oblique light from below to inspect my lenses.

wabutter

#21 Post by wabutter » Sun May 14, 2023 10:56 pm

Thanks for jarring my memory, On the Bio platform the 4th mag changer position included the bertrand lens, The 2x and or 2.5x was used on the Met and SC versions. The primary function of the bertrand lens was to view the back aperture of the objective for phase ring alighment.

Rorschach

#22 Post by Rorschach » Mon May 15, 2023 5:30 am

wabutter wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 10:56 pm
Thanks for jarring my memory, On the Bio platform the 4th mag changer position included the bertrand lens, The 2x and or 2.5x was used on the Met and SC versions. The primary function of the bertrand lens was to view the back aperture of the objective for phase ring alighment.
Thanks Wayne. Ok, so it is very limited use for me as I don't see much need for using phase contrast when DIC is available. Then again, the 2x position sounds like a bit of overkill. Wouldn't it be reaching for the territory of empty magnification, even when using the best plan apos? The 2.5x even more so.

apochronaut

#23 Post by apochronaut » Tue May 16, 2023 11:52 am

2X would be o.k. with the planapos up to 40X, even 2.5X.
You might be surprised at the capability of phase, especially at the planapo level. A big part of the popularity of DIC is the gaga-wow mentality associated with 3-D. The relief imaged, is in fact artificial. It is not just a better phase contrast but DIC and excellent phase complement each other with unique abilities. I doubt that phase would still be made if DIC had eclipsed it.
Each contrast method does in fact offer unique imaging possibilities and can provide additional information, showing some heretofor unseen features, not less or more than the information provided by another system.
I was happily surprised by two objectives I acquired in the past. One was an ancient AO Dark H 43X .66 achromat for the series 4. I have never seen one such catalogued, no magnification of Dark H at all. The objective came with a derelict 65.00 series 4 stand from a surplus dealer that I could tell was phase but had no idea what it was comprised of. The objective was a surprise and even though it had a compatible diaphragm # stamped on it, with any sample I used it with there was too much glare and the image was poor. So much so that I initially thought it to be defective, yet could find no cause. The glare turned out to be an artifact of the high contrast annulus I am pretty sure. By manipulating the illumination and diaphragm I was able to get a very sharp phase-DF combination image unlike any possible with either technique alone. It shows features typical of phase but with the dark background and brilliant contrast typical of DF.
Similarly, a forum member sold me an unusual 40X .70 planfluor objective that seems to be for a Reichert Poly instrument. It has a very tiny phase annulus atypical of that for a 40X objective and when used with the 40X phase diaphragm gives no real phase, just a not very well resolved dull image. Similar in fact to what I have seen when the objective phase ring and diaphragm are mis-matched. With it's very tiny annulus, used with the 100X diaphragm it also gives a kind of phase-DF, similar to the above.
Both provide unique imaging possibilities.

Rorschach

#24 Post by Rorschach » Tue May 16, 2023 3:07 pm

Hmm, okay, maybe I was too quick to dismiss phase completely.

Regarding the 2x or 2.5f mag changer lens, would it be possible to replace my existing Bertrand lens with either one of those? The attachment method of the lenses on the changer looks to pretty simple (see the pic below, seems that just an allen key would be needed) but would there be alignment issues afterwards? Of course, I would need to get a mag changer from a Polyvar Met first, to be a donor of a 2x or a 2.5x. Those are available from silo at least, though their asking price is way too high (surprise!).
Polyvar_mag_changer.jpg
Polyvar_mag_changer.jpg (20.04 KiB) Viewed 10636 times
Edit: added the forgotten pic!

apochronaut

#25 Post by apochronaut » Tue May 16, 2023 8:05 pm

I have many times been able to bring the price down at silo 1/3 to 1/2 of the asking but then on some items they won't budge. I have to buy 5 items to justify the shipping, since it is the same to me for up to 5 .Canada. Other foreign buyers would likely be the same. I think, if they know there will be 5 sales they might be more flexible on the prices, which are maxed out knowing there will be offers.

You will probably need to aign some.

Rorschach

#26 Post by Rorschach » Tue May 23, 2023 11:53 am

Apochronaut, ok that sounds quite reasonable. I actually asked silo about one item several days ago but there was no reply.

The 1.25x objective arrived today in the mail. Boy, it's big and heavy, a real big whopper! Serious chunk of glass, maybe even close to the weight of a Leica/Reichert 150x Epi IK Plan Apo. I will need to weigh it when I have some spare time.

apochronaut

#27 Post by apochronaut » Tue May 23, 2023 12:33 pm

apochronaut wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 8:05 pm
I have many times been able to bring the price down at silo 1/3 to 1/2 of the asking but then on some items they won't budge. I have to buy 5 items to justify the shipping, since it is the same to me for up to 5 .Canada. Other foreign buyers would likely be the same. I think, if they know there will be 5 sales they might be more flexible on the prices, which are maxed out knowing there will be offers.

You will probably need to aim for some other parts as well, to get a good price.
The last sentence should read as the above.
I would like to add that they don't seem to have very good inventory control. Listed parts are simply not there anymore sometimes and when they list multiple singles of eyepieces, sometimes it is the same eyepiece listed more than once. They leave old listings up to repeat, then list things again.
However, with all those evils, I have found them a valuable parts source as long as you ask questions and verify stock by email.

Rorschach

#28 Post by Rorschach » Tue May 23, 2023 2:13 pm

apochronaut wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 12:33 pm
apochronaut wrote:

You will probably need to aim for some other parts as well, to get a good price.
I would like to add that they don't seem to have very good inventory control. Listed parts are simply not there anymore sometimes and when they list multiple singles of eyepieces, sometimes it is the same eyepiece listed more than once. They leave old listings up to repeat, then list things again.
However, with all those evils, I have found them a valuable parts source as long as you ask questions and verify stock by email.
Yes, interest in several items probably is a good incentive for them to budge on the prices. However, I wasn't asking to lower the price on the item the other day. I tried to find out whether the optics are ok or not. Pretty much a necessary first step with items that will cost around 100-150 USD even if they give a 70% discount.

Rorschach

#29 Post by Rorschach » Tue May 23, 2023 2:33 pm

Rorschach wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 2:13 pm
apochronaut wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 12:33 pm
apochronaut wrote:

Yes, interest in several items probably is a good incentive for them to budge on the prices. However, I wasn't asking to lower the price on the item the other day. I tried to find out whether the optics are ok or not. Pretty much a necessary first step with items that will cost around 100-150 USD even if they give a 70% discount.
Edit: I should add that it was absolutely impossible to see anything about the condition of the optics with the part in question. They had it wrapped in a plastic bag....kind of counter-intuitive if the idea of the photos is to give at least a rough idea of condition to potential buyers :roll:

And yes, they seem to very often have the same part listed multiple times. Sometimes with a little variation in the price.

apochronaut

#30 Post by apochronaut » Tue May 23, 2023 3:22 pm

They are difficult to be sure but useful when little other option prevails. They are like a hermit that has spent years scurrying nuts and dried beries into a cave, then posting a for sale sign when the famine arrives. No guarantees that the kernels haven't dried up, though.