Best microscope objective for Nikon bellows

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
andrewhodgson

Best microscope objective for Nikon bellows

#1 Post by andrewhodgson » Sun Jul 16, 2023 1:40 pm

Hi everyone,
I'm very much a novice, so I apologise if I'm asking an obvious or easy question!
I have a Nikon Optiphot-2 microscope with super optics but it's very difficult to adapt the trinocular port for a DSLR (as I've found out on a previous post).
My other option is to use a set of bellow and attach the objective there.
So far so good...
The slight problem is that my lowest magnification objective has a very short working distance and I'd like to find one that has a longer one.
I have: Plan 2 / 0.05 160/-
I also have a Plan 20 / 0.50 160/0.17 with a similarly short working distance

Is anyone able to suggest a similarly good quality Nikon lens that would do the job of either of these?
For someone like me, there are so many options that it can all seem overwhelming and impossible to see the wood for the trees.

Many, many thanks for any advice at all.
Best wishes,
Andrew

PeteM

Re: Best microscope objective for Nikon bellows

#2 Post by PeteM » Sun Jul 16, 2023 3:47 pm

Andrew, if your DSLR is full-frame (35mm film size), the adaptation should be fairly easy using stock Nikon parts. If it is APS-C, the camera will see a magnified view compared to what you see with the eyepieces, but it will still work.

If you want to use higher magnifications for typical microscope subjects, having the fine focus and stage controls of your Optiphot will be a big plus compared to using an objective on bellows.

As for the best objective, the magnification depends on what you want to see. The needed working distance depends on how you plan to illuminate the subject. For transmitted work (slides), standard working distances are probably fine. For reflected light work on flat subjects you can consider getting an epi-head for your Optiphot and reflected (epi, "no cover," metallurgical . . .) objectives. If you want to try getting light in from the sides or with lumpy subjects, you'll want objectives with a long working distance. The photomicrography.net forum would be a particularly good source of information for this last scenario.

andrewhodgson

#3 Post by andrewhodgson » Sun Jul 16, 2023 3:50 pm

Thanks, Pete
My DSLR is a Nikon D90 (old now, I know!)
Yes, it's for lumpy stuff like mineral specimens, so it's very tricky to light the subjects adequately with all the stage and overhead optics.
I'll see what your suggested link has to say.
I really appreciate your help and taking the time to respond.
Thank you so much,
Andrew

Scarodactyl

#4 Post by Scarodactyl » Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:20 pm

At 2x you really don't want to use a microscope objective on bellows. A reversed enlarger for instance should give better results with longer working distance for less money.

andrewhodgson

#5 Post by andrewhodgson » Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:26 pm

Thanks - are you able to explain how that works and what would be required?

Sure Squintsalot

#6 Post by Sure Squintsalot » Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:17 am

Scarodactyl wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:20 pm
At 2x you really don't want to use a microscope objective on bellows. A reversed enlarger for instance should give better results with longer working distance for less money.
This....

To add: Very high quality enlarger lenses are practically given away these days. Though finagling the reversing might be a little tricky with reversing rings. Reversing rings can be had for conventional 35mm lenses (49mm, 52mm diameters and mounts). Not sure where'd you'd find small diameter rings for Nikon mounts, though. Good luck!

High magnification imaging of small scale minerals is technically very challenging!

Phill Brown

#7 Post by Phill Brown » Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:04 am

I have a Canon 50D aps-c fitted to the trinocular port on a Labophot 2.
Using an NDPL2 type.
It's not costly or particularly challenging.
Modded the existing tube which is only a soft alloy.
IMG-20230718-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20230718-WA0000.jpg (93.09 KiB) Viewed 905 times