Lietz 402a documentation

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
Fred F

Lietz 402a documentation

#1 Post by Fred F » Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:33 am

I have a 402a in use on my primary OP. I acquired another OP that needs some work and it has the phase ccntrast 6 position condenser with 0.90 achromat tilt lens it has a unmarked annuli access plate plate but a Leitz Wetzlar labeled body that has a Dxxxxx marked below the company name.
The issue is that mechanically the seem to be the same body and turret and have all the annuli except that my primary 402a has a bottom lens at the level of the iris handle and the "d" has an open cavity.
The lack of brightness of the "d" as compared to my primary 402a is significant.
searching the web for 402a Lietz I found one ebay model and one from Microscope Central that both had "d" markings plus 402a on access plate and and both have no bottom lens under the iris.
hoping to locate parts list/product literature service manuals that show details. I have Lietz 513-84/513-84 b/513-5-b/513-5-c literature of which none show or discuss whether or not there is a bottom lens
Anyone have knowledge of the purpose of having two devices that are both mechanically and optically different?
hopefully there are others that have gone down this path and can advise.
thanks and best regards
Fred

PeteM

Re: Lietz 402a documentation

#2 Post by PeteM » Mon Jul 24, 2023 4:11 pm

The extra bottom lens on the condenser is needed for the Laborlux and Laborlux-D stands, maybe others. Other Leitz stands won't need it. This link might be of use - and is useful for newer Leitz finite scopes and not just the "excellent black Leitz" microscopes: http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/img ... es7rev.pdf