inverted suggestions ?

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
mete

inverted suggestions ?

#1 Post by mete » Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:02 am

Not sure if I want one yet (I have a good stereo and a good upright with kohler and DF, PH etc. but without FL and DIC), but I would like to keep an eye on second hand market of inverted microscopes. I only checked Axiovert 40 C/CFL until now, and have almost no idea about the models. What would be your suggestions ? My use will be fresh water samples, and I hope to have one with ability to do DIC or similar (plasdic etc), and camera port and proper image quality is a must.

macnmotion

Re: inverted suggestions ?

#2 Post by macnmotion » Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:11 am

A friend runs a university research lab that uses Nikon and Olympus inverted scopes. I use one of their decommissioned Nikon TMD Diaphots from the mid 80s for water samples. Mine came with phase contrast condenser and objectives, but they did make a DIC set for the scope. I've seen some good prices for the scope in the USA but the dic is definitely a pricey add on. It has a Nikon f-mount built in, as well as a separate video port. I use a Nikon D750 on mine without the need for adapters or tubes. I've made a couple modifications to the scope, which I describe on the page below.

You can see my scope here, as well as videos from the scope on the site:

https://www.thaimicrocosmos.com/about/

PeteM

#3 Post by PeteM » Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:13 am

Olympus, like Nikon, has made a wide variety of inverted microscopes. Even the old and massive IMT with short barrel objectives and phase contrast has very good optics. The IMT2 even better. More recent (and smaller) ones of various "CK" incarnations are quite good, with LWD objectives fairly commonly available.

I'd add Hoffman Modulation Contrast to your wish list as an alternative contrast method to DIC. You might luck into a complete scope, affordably priced.

mete

#4 Post by mete » Sun Aug 27, 2023 6:19 am

Thanks for the suggestions. Is there a compiled list of all microscopes models of the big 4 somewhere ? I am having trouble figuring out which model is before or after which one and their launch date or active years.

macnmotion

#5 Post by macnmotion » Sun Aug 27, 2023 6:23 am

mete wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 6:19 am
Thanks for the suggestions. Is there a compiled list of all microscopes models of the big 4 somewhere ? I am having trouble figuring out which model is before or after which one and their launch date or active years.
This should help you with Nikon.
https://www.microscopyu.com/museum

PeteM

#6 Post by PeteM » Sun Aug 27, 2023 6:30 am

Both Nikon and Olympus maintain online histories detailing when various models appeared.

The important thing, in my opinion, is the generation of optics. Depending on your budget, you'll be looking at various short barrel versions, then DIN finite, then two generations of infinite objectives -- and each generation with different classes of objectives (achromat, plan achromat, plan fluor, plan apo . . .).

mete

#7 Post by mete » Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:44 pm

OK, I learned a bit more about Olympus and Nikon models. I am always looking at infinite optics (and plan achromat or flour). At minimum something like Zeiss Axiovert 40, Olympus CKX41 or Nikon TS100. It seems to me after these models the prices jump because of DIC, FL etc.

TEM-Fanatic

#8 Post by TEM-Fanatic » Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:14 am

I have a Leitz Diavert which is an inverted microscope.
It is a nice solid microscope with minimal plastic components and has good optics.
It might be worth looking into this model. As far as I know it can't do DIC however.
Located in Australia.
Interested in a TEM or related equipment such as coating equipment, grids, ultramicrotome accessories etc. Please send me a PM if you can assist.

Alexander

#9 Post by Alexander » Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:22 am

The Leitz Diavert can do DIC. The components needed are rare and ridiculously expensive if found for sale. Last year I was offered a full set consisting of the condenser, analyzer and 3 objectives at 2.000 Euros. I was silly enough not to buy it immediately. Then it was gone. :(

TEM-Fanatic

#10 Post by TEM-Fanatic » Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:17 pm

Alexander I didn't know that it was DIC capable. Can you share a screenshot of information on what components I should look for?
I have a Diavert and using it for DIC would be amazing!
Located in Australia.
Interested in a TEM or related equipment such as coating equipment, grids, ultramicrotome accessories etc. Please send me a PM if you can assist.

Alexander

#11 Post by Alexander » Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:09 am

This is an example of what you need:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/155733144620?ha ... R56L6P3HYg

While this set is in poor condition and priced high, it shows the components needed.

A polarizing DIC condenser with top lens suitable for an inverted scope. It must have DIC prisms matching the top lens and objectives installed. There is typically a Phaco 1 annulus present as well.

A proper DIC-Pol analyzer slider.

Matching objectives.

Those components are rare and expensive. In most cases you are better off looking for a Leica DM IL with DIC already installed. They go from about 3.000 USD if you are patient enough to wait for a good offer.

mete

#12 Post by mete » Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:14 am

Not only related to this topic; is Nikon or Olympus objectives and optional parts like prisms cheaper compared to Zeiss and Leica ? Is it only due to availability ?