Reichert objectives differences?

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
AleksandarK

Reichert objectives differences?

#1 Post by AleksandarK » Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:23 pm

Hello, my first post here! :)

I just got these two Reichert objectives.

As far as I can see, both are oil immersion with 1.25 NA and 100x magnification.

The “Austria” version has tube length and glass cover thickness markings, while the “Wien” version has none.

Can you tell me more about them? “Austria” vs. “Wien”?

I don't need both of them, which one should I keep?

The optics also seem different.

In the “Wien” version, the front lens is flush with the front of the lens,
in the “Austria” version, the front lens appears to be recessed.

To better illustrate the differences, I have attached some photos that I took with different camera angles and lighting.
If you are viewing this on a smaller screen, please right-click to open them in a new tab and zoom in to see the details and differences of the front lenses.

Is the “Austria” version faulty?
Is the front lens missing or collapsed into the lens body, or it is like this by design?
When I shake it there is no loose lens rattling inside.
The lenses on both objectives are clean and clear, with no haze, delamination or fungus.

Thanks in advance,
Aleksandar
4xa.jpg
4xa.jpg (163.23 KiB) Viewed 1788 times
4xb.jpg
4xb.jpg (197.69 KiB) Viewed 1788 times
Last edited by AleksandarK on Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

deBult

Re: Reichert objectives differences?

#2 Post by deBult » Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:36 pm

Think your “austria” lens may have lost its front lens?

The proof of the pudding is in the imaging.

AleksandarK

#3 Post by AleksandarK » Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:53 pm

Yes, "Austria" looks suspicious! :)
I don't have any immersion oil, do you think that the "dry" comparison between the two will work?

wabutter

#4 Post by wabutter » Thu Sep 14, 2023 1:39 am

The mounting area on the objective labelled Austria shows some severe scratching damage to the metal near the lens interface. If it has not leaked any oil it is quite possible through use that it could leak

PeteM

#5 Post by PeteM » Thu Sep 14, 2023 2:28 am

Mount them and see which one provides the better image.

Judging by appearances, the Wien has older style markings, an earlier serial number, and (as others have already noted) some possible damage. Thus, the "Austria" one is likely to be the keeper, once you've confirmed it provides a good image.

apochronaut

#6 Post by apochronaut » Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:54 pm

You can use household vegetable oil or glycerin if you have some, to do a comparison. They aren't very good for actual use but much better than a dry test to determine the relative performance of the two. If you had flax or castor oil, they are the closest more commonly found oils in the house, in refractive index to immersion oil.

The front lens on those is installed by crimping a small amount of the front bezel around the rear hemisphere of the front lens. If the lens dislodges by being pushed on too hard, it can't go very far due to the lens close behind it. I am suspicious that the front lens on Austria may have been pushed in.

charlie g

#7 Post by charlie g » Fri Sep 15, 2023 5:37 am

Hi aleksander and all....I have a wonderful : Reichert/Austria trinocular microscope..love it!!!this was my .my workhorse stand for years.. until I upgraded to a Nikon trinoc :bf/ df/ phase microscope.

My Reichert/Austria 100X oel objective totally suggests your 100X Reichert/Austria objective is defective...I hope the seller of this optic to you was honest about it's defects.

BTW...any one, and all...I wish to sell...very low cost... this dear: Reichert/Austria..."Biozet" trinocular microscope...I observed for years with this trinoc-stand..until I upgraded.

all the best to forum, and to you,aleksander...charlie g
Attachments
DSCN2115.JPG
DSCN2115.JPG (118.86 KiB) Viewed 1632 times
DSCN2113.JPG
DSCN2113.JPG (141.04 KiB) Viewed 1632 times
DSCN2107 - Copy.JPG
DSCN2107 - Copy.JPG (43.97 KiB) Viewed 1632 times
DSCN2104 - Copy.JPG
DSCN2104 - Copy.JPG (41.9 KiB) Viewed 1632 times

PeteM

#8 Post by PeteM » Fri Sep 15, 2023 6:42 am

That's an elegant looking microscope, Charlie, and likely wonderfully made.

AleksandarK

#9 Post by AleksandarK » Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:28 pm

Thank you all! :)

I tested both and the result from the “Austria” version looks strange, the magnification is closer to 40x or 50x with some chromatic aberration.