Oly double DIC scope + epi-fluorescence other questions. What items can I combine?

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
erikwetterskog

Oly double DIC scope + epi-fluorescence other questions. What items can I combine?

#1 Post by erikwetterskog » Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:42 pm

Hello,

I'm working on my setup, some of you may have become tired of my WTB posts in the forum. It turns out that playing the long game is finally paying off, I managed to find quite a few parts for an intended Oly DIC setup. The idea would be to be able to work with DIC in both epi and transmission modes, as well as a fluorescence scope. If there is space, I would like to include phase contrast annuli at perhaps 20x and 40x. One beast to rule them all. This is not a WTB post, but since I have not yet bought a stand nor any illuminators (except for CX-RFL), I'm weighing my options.

What I have so far:

1. Universal condenser with the U-DPA40 prism
2. 1x,2x, 10x and 40x PlanApo UIS1, 20x PlanAPOs
3. U-DICT + U-ANT
4. U-DICR
5. A CX-RFL fluorescence illuminator + Cool LED p300 (also have the mercury burner)
6. A 6-slot nosepiece, without the holder
7. A bunch of achromatic phase-contrast objectives

Right now I only have the CX40 stand, which I will replace with a BX50 or 60, but looking for a good deal (I can wait a while). Before stacking up more parts in this mad spending spree I need to actually take a step back, think some things through. And ask some top-of-mind questions: (more will probably follow)

1. Can you use a conventional reflected light illuminator BX-RLA in conjuction with an fluorescence epi-illuminator (i.e. stack them). I understand that you need to remove any cubes from the beam path and that you cannot run a mercury beam trough the DIC-filter?

Ideally I want to upgrade the CX-RFL to a more serious vertical illuminator, so I can run more than the standard green cube. Can you stack a BX-RFA with a vertical illuminator like BX-RLA (I'm guessing not)? I know it sounds like absolute madness, but now I bought stuff for both DICR and fluorescence, so I wonder if this is actually 2 different microscopes that I need to assemble (in that case I have to get rid of my Nikon)? The CX-RFL that I have now has a dovetail mount.

2a. I found the DICR a little by chance, but I'm not exactly what other parts i need to make it work. From what I gather from various links you only need one Wollaston prism (not two as in transmission) and two polarizers. Is that it (seems a lot less complicated than T-DIC)? Looking at the BX-RFA manual, it has several filter slots in different parts of the beam (analyzer + "excitation"). Anyone knows of the part numbers for these filters? Are they identical. Are there cheaper replacements?

b) Can I use any of the LMPLFL or LMPLAPO objectives with this prism? Any suggestions? I'm looking to get perhaps 2 objectives at most. I guess Plan APO is out of the question, but... Is there a compatibility list somewhere?

3) Is there anything special about the really expensive PH1-PH3 phase annuli for the universal condensor? Can't you just copy them somehow, mount them in a ring and pop them into the condensor?

Sorry for this really long and convoluted post.
Nikon S-Ke - Old goodie
Olympus CX40 - Fluorescence [Selling]
Olympus BX61 - Phase contrast, DIC, fluorescence [Work-in-progress]

PeteM

Re: Oly double DIC scope + epi-fluorescence other questions. What items can I combine?

#2 Post by PeteM » Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:34 pm

1) As far as I know, they aren't meant to be stacked. It might work since you're in infinity space, with some loss of field number. It shouldn't take more than a minute or two to pull off the epi-dic intermediate and replace it with the fluorescence version. Similarly, to pull either one off for transmitted work. You'll need some storage space for various parts, but not an extra stand.

2) Just a single prism is needed for reflected DIC, plus the polarizer and analyzer. Somewhere on the Web, I've seen documentation on various Olympus fluorescence filters.

3) Any Olympus BX phase annuli should work (e.g. from a BX phase-only condenser) as long as you have the right size apertures available in your universal condenser. If you run out of space, the cheaper solution is to just get an infinity phase condenser and swap it in as needed.

erikwetterskog

Re: Oly double DIC scope + epi-fluorescence other questions. What items can I combine?

#3 Post by erikwetterskog » Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:19 pm

Thanks Pete.

The filters are called U-AN and U-PO and command quite a price on eBay. At least for the needy buyer.

What I do wonder about the phase annuli. Are they simply just not mad from sheet metal? What if you cut copies of them and mounted them in a frame?
Nikon S-Ke - Old goodie
Olympus CX40 - Fluorescence [Selling]
Olympus BX61 - Phase contrast, DIC, fluorescence [Work-in-progress]

PeteM

#4 Post by PeteM » Tue Oct 17, 2023 12:49 am

Erik, There's an eBay seller who laser-cuts phase annuli from (I believe) black Delrin sheet stock. They're a bit fuzzy around the edges, especially in smaller and finer annuli sizes, but work OK. One might fit. Anyone with a laser cutter and a rudimentary CAD system could do the same. I've glued them into brass, plastic, or aluminum rings as needed.

You'll find many other workable approaches discussed on the Web - scribed from sheet metal, machined and brazed up from tube stock, inked on acetate, ink-jet printed on transparency stock, etc. Sometimes phase annuli from other makers will match up closely enough. Easiest, though, is to find a complete OEM phase condenser for $300 or so.

There are similar DIY options for polarizers and analyzers. DIC really does benefit, though, from polarizers with good transmission uncrossed and near-complete extinction crossed.