Question about Zeiss PM3 field diaphragm

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
tlansing

Question about Zeiss PM3 field diaphragm

#1 Post by tlansing » Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:11 pm

I recently acquired a Zeiss Photomicroscope III stand and while it had the metal coarse and fine focus knobs, it had the plastic field diaphragm. One of the leaves in the iris has something attached to it (see first photo) that needs to be removed. To remove this piece of junk on the iris, can the field diaphragm be opened by removing the screws shown in the second photo (arrow points to one of them)? Anything to be cautious about in doing this, other than losing the screws? Thanks for any help.
Diaphragm-1.JPG
Diaphragm-1.JPG (20.09 KiB) Viewed 1018 times
Diaphragm-2.jpg
Diaphragm-2.jpg (63.81 KiB) Viewed 1018 times
If I replace the plastic diaphragm assembly with a metal one, do I need to re-collimate the entire optical train of the microscope and if so how to do this.

Tim

Hobbyst46

Re: Question about Zeiss PM3 field diaphragm

#2 Post by Hobbyst46 » Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:26 pm

The plastic diaphragms are somewhat of a later generation. The very first ones on the standard were all metal. Moreover they had more leaves (11 I think) than the plastic ones.
The three screws are tiny and one needs a screwdriver that exactly fits the slots, otherwise they are easily stripped and deformed.
Under the plastic envelope, there is a flat glass circle. Once removed, the leaves are exposed.
The whole unit can be removed from the base of the microscope. Often (not always) it is anchored in place by means of two small screws that are accessible from below (the "inside" of the base).
Replacement does not involve any adjustment AFAIK. There should be a small notch that fixes the front-back orientation of the unit within the base. Aligns it towards the light source.

Years ago I posted a detailed description of taking it apart and cleaning - will try and find. The leaves should be clean and dry - not lubricated with anything.