Is my head broken/misaligned?

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
AmerigoMicroscopy

Is my head broken/misaligned?

#1 Post by AmerigoMicroscopy » Tue Dec 26, 2023 1:02 am

https://www.reddit.com/r/microscopy/com ... is_broken/ - For the image, it wouldn't let me attach it.

I have a new Amscope B120C that is functioning normally. However, lining up images has been difficult. When no eyepieces are attatched the left side here seems to not be aligned. On the right side the lens fits perfectly in the circle, but not here. Can this be fixed? Or is it not even broken?

Please ask for any other info to help with this situation, I really don't want to use a binocular lense as a monocular.
- Anthony :D

apochronaut

Re: Is my head broken/misaligned?

#2 Post by apochronaut » Tue Dec 26, 2023 1:18 am

You have to be careful looking down the eyepiece tubes because your eye or camera lens must be dead center . If not the illuminated circle can look off center.
To determine if there is mis-alignment it is much better to actually use the microscope. So, you are saying that you have to cross your eyes in order to not get a double image?
Put a slide on the stage that has very discernible small details and center one of them while looking through the left eyepiece. Then without moving anything look through the right eyepiece wiyh the same eye. The detail should still be centered.

AmerigoMicroscopy

#3 Post by AmerigoMicroscopy » Tue Dec 26, 2023 1:34 am

Yes, @apochronaut, I do have to cross eyes to get a single image. Still, at that point if I don't super concentrate my eyes an offset overlay will appear. When I put a slide and look at it I can also still see a curved notch in the bottom corner, same as what is in the image.

apochronaut

#4 Post by apochronaut » Tue Dec 26, 2023 1:49 am

How difficult is it to return the microscope? It seems as if it is out of alignment and should be under warranty, if you just received it. I presume you have used other microscopes with no difficulty?

AmerigoMicroscopy

#5 Post by AmerigoMicroscopy » Tue Dec 26, 2023 1:50 am

I have never used a proper microscope, so I don't have a reference.

imkap

#6 Post by imkap » Tue Dec 26, 2023 2:25 am

Micrometer is helpful in these situations, if you don't have one you can print or draw a quasi micrometer on paper or transparent foil. Not as precise as micrometer but still with the lowest mag objective you'll be able to see if the view is different in 2 tubes... If it is the same then the head is good. Perpendicular lines with rulers should be good. There is an article about aligning heads somewhere on the Internet, with some useful info. I think on UK microscopy site.

Rotation can be a problem too

I learned to live with small misalignment on my old Zeiss.

apochronaut

#7 Post by apochronaut » Tue Dec 26, 2023 3:01 am

The member has never used a microscope, so overcomplicating an assessment might not be the best thing. Just center a small detail while looking through the 10X objective in the left eyepiece and look to see if it is still centered in the right eyepiece.
If it is off, then return it if the microscope is new. Amscope should cover shipping for a defective product.

AmerigoMicroscopy

#8 Post by AmerigoMicroscopy » Tue Dec 26, 2023 3:32 am

I have removed the side and found this. https://www.reddit.com/r/microscopy/s/EvTx1qqGNV
Could I fix this myself?

MichaelG.

#9 Post by MichaelG. » Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:32 am

Ron Green’s brilliant paper is available here, in several formats: https://archive.org/details/APracticalG ... ollimation

I suggest you skim through it, for an appreciation of the problem, and then return the Amscope.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

imkap

#10 Post by imkap » Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:29 am

Yeah, just return if it's bad. If you want to fiddle buy an old microscope :)

apochronaut

#11 Post by apochronaut » Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:43 am

Put the cover back on and don't mention what you found. Most companies won't honour a warranty after tampering.. The assembler must have run out of screws. You work with whwt you have eh?
Proof positive that Amscope neither tests nor does any set up on their stuff. It comes straight ftom the factory as is.