American Optical 1040 monocular tube dimensions?

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
jorymil

American Optical 1040 monocular tube dimensions?

#1 Post by jorymil » Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:31 pm

Hello all, I acquired an AO 1040 vertical monocular head by accident the other day along with a teaching adaptor. The 1040 came without the tube; does anyone know its dimensions so I can fabricate a replacement? Alternatively if anyone has a spare floating around, happy to purchase it from you.

John

apochronaut

Re: American Optical 1040 monocular tube dimensions?

#2 Post by apochronaut » Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:10 pm

Those can convert a binocular into a trinocular on a short teaching bridge. The tube is vertically adjustable but when shipped it stuck out of the casting about 3 and 1/4".
AO did just about everything in inches but this is one part that makes more sense measuring at least some of it in mm.

Total length. 4 5/8" ( 117.36 mm)
Bottom outside diameter to fit the 29mm bore : 28.93mm
Bottom i.d. 23mm
Top i.d. 23.3mm to receive a standard 23.2mm eyepiece.
There is a chamfer down to a 25.33 mm o.d. at the top, which runs the last 34mm at the top.This serves no practical purpose except that it narrows the tube o.d. sufficiently that a clamp on camera adapter can be easily mounted on it. Many of those older 35mm adapters are about as good and sturdy as you can get and easily adaptable to a modern digital camera. They are designed to fit on an eyepiece tube that has a smaller o.d. than this tube would provide without being reduced at the top.
The inside is flat black but there is small amount of glare at the entrance when looking down the tube. If I were making one, I would cut the i.d. at the bottom a little bigger and flock the lower 1/2". Aluminum.

jorymil

#3 Post by jorymil » Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:33 am

Thanks for the quick response, apochronaut! Sounds like a standard trinocular tube will be a little easier to come by, though this one sounds like a possible machining project for me down the road. The 1040 heads are pretty rare from what I can tell, so I'll definitely hang onto it.

I'll also start looking at the older camera mount adapters: my camera is a small Lumix LX-7, but you never know when a DSLR might become a thing.

apochronaut

#4 Post by apochronaut » Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:37 am

The factory standard tubes aren't that common anymore. The aftermarket one being sold on ebay looks good but was poorly designed and provides an internal reflection, solvable by flocking or redesigning to include an internal baffle. I corresponded with the seller about 3 years ago about it. I don't know whether it has been redesigned.