What brand of traditional objectives do Chinese objectives mimic?

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
Scoper

What brand of traditional objectives do Chinese objectives mimic?

#1 Post by Scoper » Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:39 pm

With the current crop of Chinese objectives, what traditional objective brands are they similar to?

If one wants to mix Chinese objectives with other objectives from the Big 4, which brands are compatible with the same common eyepieces?

Thanks

apochronaut

Re: What brand of traditional objectives do Chinese objectives mimic?

#2 Post by apochronaut » Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:54 am

This is relavent to Chinese infinity microscopes only. Their 160mm focal length microscopes were somewhat unique snd based on either a 185mm or 195mm conjugate tube length, which includes the objective parfocal length and measures up to the eyepiece pickup point.

When the Chinese mfgs. switched over to infinity correction models, it was at the behest of primarily the Japanese companies because they needed to overcome spiralling labour costs in Japan and maintain their price competetive edge. So primarily, the bulk of infinity production is built around what they call the 180mm system and the N.I.S.45 and N.I.S.60 systems. These evolved because Chinese factories were contracted to produce lower priced parts and even entire microscope systems for Olympus and Nikon. They made their own knockoffs of some of them. In some cases the objectives used in Olympus and Nikon microscopes are the same objectives used in Chinese microscopes. India is involved too and there is some cross border trade between India and China with each country selling the same instrument ; one made in China and one made in India. India also produced an infinity corrected microscope to the AO/ Reichert pattern.
The 180mm system is Olympus compatible and the N.I.S. system stands for Nikon Infinity System and is available in a 45mm parfocal version and a 60mm parfocal version, each of a reference length of 200mm.
I have not seen a Zeiss knockoff system from China , nor Leica but I suspect that Leica clones are out there.
Last edited by apochronaut on Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

MichaelG.

#3 Post by MichaelG. » Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:27 am

apochronaut wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:54 am
This is relavent to Chinese infinity microscopes only. […]

I have not seen a Zeiss knockoff system from China […]
That said … am I not right in believing that the affordable range of Zeiss microscopes is made by Motic ??

MichaelG.

Ref. viewtopic.php?f=14&t=11468&p=94904
Too many 'projects'

Scarodactyl

#4 Post by Scarodactyl » Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:24 am

That's a Zeiss-branded Chinese Olympus knockoff though. It iwn't related to any of Zeiss's other in house systems.

MichaelG.

#5 Post by MichaelG. » Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:39 am

Yes, I realise that … but it doesn’t stop it being a Zeiss product.
the affordable range of Zeiss microscopes
MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

Scarodactyl

#6 Post by Scarodactyl » Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:28 am

I think for something to qualify as a 'Zeiss knockoff' it would need to copy an optical system that Zeiss developed, not just be another company whiteboxing from the same optical pool. I guess some do attempt to look like the Primostar line which kind of counts though.

apochronaut

#7 Post by apochronaut » Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:00 am

Zeiss is just purchasing basically an off the shelf Motic instrument, which is based on a 180mm reference length, Olympus 45mm parfocal system. You cannot integrate any of it with a legitimate Zeiss microscope. It's a cheap ploy really, designed to rope in customers based on a name , then upsell them later on a 164.5mm reference length system. They should have just been honest and called it a Zeisch Pwimoschtaa.

MichaelG.

#8 Post by MichaelG. » Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:39 am

Thanks … I accept all the opinions

My point [badly made] was that there is a “Zeiss” microscope for which cheaper compatible Chinese objectives might be available.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

thomasfrank

#9 Post by thomasfrank » Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:14 am

Not all Chinese targets are created equal: Quality varies widely, so research specific models before comparing.
Performance depends on the specific product line: Some Chinese lines, like Planapochromat, can compete with high-end brands, while others can be closer to budget options.
Combines Chinese objective lens with Big 4 eyepiece
Eyepiece compatibility is generally not an issue. Most Chinese objectives use standard RMS threads (1-inch diameter, 32 threads per inch), compatible with eyepieces from all major brands, including the Big 4 (Leica, Nikon, Olympus, Zeiss).
fnaf

Scarodactyl

#10 Post by Scarodactyl » Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:16 am

Report isn't working. Oliver is it possible to remove the ability to change text size and color, these spambots are the only ones using it.

apochronaut

#11 Post by apochronaut » Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:04 am

I think they must drink a lot of coffee because apparently they live in city of Seattle.