Reflections of my eyes at higher magnification

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
vgwhite

Reflections of my eyes at higher magnification

#1 Post by vgwhite » Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:54 pm

I had cataract surgery a few years ago and now, I notice that when I use a microscope, I can see an image of the surface of my eyes superimposed on the image being studied. It appears that the imperfections on my corneas are somehow being reflected back from somewhere in the optical path of the scope. I can see a perfect circle which I believe are the implants themselves. The effect is most noticeable at 400x magnification. Can anyone explain what is happening and whether anything can be done? It's quite annoying and detracts from my enjoyment in using a microscope.

GerryR

Re: Reflections of my eyes at higher magnification

#2 Post by GerryR » Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:48 pm

I can't explain why it happens, but one time I sent a microscope in for cleaning because of this odd-shaped artifact in the field of view only to find out it was an image of a small corneal scar I had in my right eye. Now I also see "floaters." I also would like to know the why's and wherefores of this occurence. I understand that many people use cameras to project the image on a video display to avoid this issue. I guess the defects/particles in the eye are such a large portion of the field of view that you can't help but see them.

vgwhite

Re: Reflections of my eyes at higher magnification

#3 Post by vgwhite » Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:13 pm

Thanks. At least I know I'm not the only one. Perhaps using a camera and a computer would be the answer.