Olympus CK2 binocular schematic needed

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
yippyfingers

Olympus CK2 binocular schematic needed

#1 Post by yippyfingers » Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:43 am

Does anybody have documentation for teardown of the CK2 binocular head? I would like to adjust the collimation, but after removing much of the front end, I cannot figure out how to proceed, and I don't want to cause damage. I don't understand how to remove the left and right sliders that are for interpupillary adjustment. I believe that screws for collimation lie underneath those sliders. I called the company and they could not find the documentation, which would be under the number CH-B145W. Thanks for any help.

PeteM

Re: Olympus CK2 binocular schematic needed

#2 Post by PeteM » Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:00 am

Assuming there isn't a detached prism inside and the collimation errors are minor, you can often adjust the eyetubes to get the same view in both eyes. The general procedure, which I think (if memory serves) applies to the CH, BH, and CK2 heads, is to remove the black plastic cosmetic covers to reveal the screws securing the eyetubes. There's typically room to loosen the screws and nudge the eyetubes into agreement. If you're lucky, you might see where one of them has been knocked slightly off target.

Note that if you have widely different diopter adjustments for your eyes, the field sizes and, thus, the location of features at the edges of the fields will be a bit different.

yippyfingers

#3 Post by yippyfingers » Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:10 am

Thanks, petm, for your reply. I also have a CH2 that I successfully worked on to adjust collimation, but the CK2 is different. I don't understand how to remove the plastic sliders. I want to get to those screws underneath. I also learned that it is possible to adjust and lubricate the "rails" that the plastic sliders rest upon, thus taking some slop out of the system. But how to get those sliders off?

PeteM

#4 Post by PeteM » Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:14 am

Have you tried opening up the interpupillary adjustment all the way - to reveal screws from the back side securing the covers? That, along with removing some other small screws from the front and the middle cover, works for some Olympus heads.

The sliders are typically secured by gibs with screws accessible once the covers are off.

yippyfingers

#5 Post by yippyfingers » Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:24 am

Thanks, petem. I did try all of that. The CK2 isn't like the CH2.

deBult

#6 Post by deBult » Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:56 am

Check the repair guides on the Alan Wood website: their may be a similar one.

e.g. https://www.alanwood.net/downloads/olym ... manual.pdf

yippyfingers

#7 Post by yippyfingers » Fri Feb 02, 2024 5:21 am

Thanks for the link, but that binocular system is the other variety (Siedentoph?). I have done a fairly thorough search online for a schematic, but no love.