Using modern olympus objectives on old olympus

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
onilink_

Using modern olympus objectives on old olympus

#1 Post by onilink_ » Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:07 pm

Hello,

I have an Olympus BH2, with the vertical illuminating system and infinity corrected objectives.

Default objectives are MSPlan objectives. But I also use with success (and a neutral eyepiece) two other objectives.
An Olympus Plan 100x/1.25 oil infinity/-

And a dry Zeiss 80x/0.95 infinity/- objective (I can take/post a picture if required, but I don't have one already taken).

I wanted to try a Olympus UPlanApo 40x/1.00 Oil Iris infinity/- objective, but sadly the results are not good, and I'm not sure why. The seller assures me that the lens is functional, so unless something went wrong during shipping, despite the good packaging, normally the problem does not come from the objective itself.

Here two captures using this objective (with 1.0x mag and 1.5x on the Olympus magnification changer):
capture_full_50p.jpg
capture_full_50p.jpg (170.07 KiB) Viewed 1030 times
capture_zoom1.5x_50p.jpg
capture_zoom1.5x_50p.jpg (165.48 KiB) Viewed 1030 times
I noticed something weird. When I change the focus, the image does not blur in the usual way, but the out of focus image is moving to the bottom right side (instead of being centered).

And for comparison, one with the 100x objective (1.5x magnification):
100x_50p.jpg
100x_50p.jpg (166.74 KiB) Viewed 1030 times

So my main question is: is this the expected behavior?
I know some corrections are also made in the tube lens, but I don't think it explains the difference between my 100x/80x and this 40x.

So maybe it's the illumination system? I use a BH2-MA, and I think it's using Kölher illumination.
The field stop is not in focus when the image is in focus. Do you think the quality issue is just because of the different back focal plane of this objective, comparing to the other ones?

Thank you

Scarodactyl

Re: Using modern olympus objectives on old olympus

#2 Post by Scarodactyl » Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:31 pm

I think your objective is decentered or otherwise borked. Darn shame.
The tube lens in the bh2 illuminators is pretty neutral, the far corners on aps-c seemed to do something when I had one but I didn't test it that well. Either way it is fairly ckmpatible with modern olympus.

onilink_

#3 Post by onilink_ » Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:39 pm

Scarodactyl wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:31 pm
I think your objective is decentered or otherwise borked. Darn shame.
Oh no :(

Any tests I can do to verify this?

Edit:
I made some videos of the focusing, just to be sure:
https://youtu.be/fFSmYJn81VM
https://youtu.be/ASY_i08vNC4

Alexander

#4 Post by Alexander » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:41 pm

onilink_ wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:07 pm

I know some corrections are also made in the tube lens, but I don't think it explains the difference between my 100x/80x and this 40x.
Reconsider that point.

Scarodactyl

#5 Post by Scarodactyl » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:57 pm

Alexander wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:41 pm
Reconsider that point.
The 100x and 40x in this test are made for the same optical system so if that were the issue you would expect both to perform poorly. That's aside from this combination being something of a known quatity from previous testing.

If you can return this objective I'd try that.

onilink_

#6 Post by onilink_ » Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:00 pm

I can return the objective, that's why I want to know for sure.
Alexander wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:41 pm
onilink_ wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:07 pm

Reconsider that point.
Do you think because it is an apochromat it will pose more problem than my other objectives?

I'm thinking about keeping this objective if I'm sure it is functional, and to buy an Olympus BX microscope one day.
But if the objective is defective I can't afford to keep it, given its price (500€).

Note: I will use it for light reflected microscopy only. It's not a problem right?

apochronaut

#7 Post by apochronaut » Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:01 am

Scarodactyl is correct. The objective has most likely been disassembled without observing and marking the original alignment of the lens cells and then reassembled carelessly. The seller is incorrect. The objective can likely be repaired but with considerable effort and time.
I would try to return it, if possible. If it is an ebay purchase, and the seller balks ; even if the listing said no returns, if it was described as fully functional and works as intended, you can start a return request since it is likely covered under buyer protection. If the seller doesn't comply within the alotted time, ebay will refund you.

onilink_

#8 Post by onilink_ » Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:51 am

apochronaut wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:01 am
Scarodactyl is correct. The objective has most likely been disassembled without observing and marking the original alignment of the lens cells and then reassembled carelessly. The seller is incorrect. The objective can likely be repaired but with considerable effort and time.
I would try to return it, if possible. If it is an ebay purchase, and the seller balks ; even if the listing said no returns, if it was described as fully functional and works as intended, you can start a return request since it is likely covered under buyer protection. If the seller doesn't comply within the alotted time, ebay will refund you.
Thank you. I will return it.

Just out of curiosity, is it the quality of the image on my BH2 system or the videos of the change of focus that allow you to say this?

apochronaut

#9 Post by apochronaut » Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:31 pm

Mainly the skewed focus. This can be caused by a slight de-lamination. I have seen an Olympus 160mm 45mm parfocal planapo objective where a bottom element in a cell just ever so slightly dropped out of it's mount. It was air spaced with a tiny gap above the upper lens in the lower cell, and dropped to contact that lens. It gave similar symptoms. The problem is not that hard to repair.

Similar symptoms are caused by the rear lens group being off center. It is often separated from the main lens stack by a lengthy spacer leaving it vulnerable to being splayed off axis if the mechanical tolerances are a bit sloppy or there is ganged shimming . Usually the rear group needs to be rotated a full 360 and checked every 45° or so for axial alignment but some objectives are weaker than others in this regard.
If there is any evidence at all of the objective having been dismantled, that might be the culprit.

onilink_

#10 Post by onilink_ » Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:01 pm

Thank you very much for the detailed answer.

I don't think the objective have been dismantled.
It was a demonstration objective from what the seller told me. So it should be almost new.

Too bad.

apochronaut

#11 Post by apochronaut » Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:06 pm

I wonder what they were demonstrating?