Microscope storage/portability options

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
Scoper

Microscope storage/portability options

#1 Post by Scoper » Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:42 am

I would like to see and hear what others use to store and transport their various microscopes…both commercial and homemade options.

Thanks

Macro_Cosmos

Re: Microscope storage/portability options

#2 Post by Macro_Cosmos » Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:24 am

I transported half a dozen with a commercial removalist, no damage.

All scopes broken down.
I sourced original boxes from Evident, when possible.
For critical parts such as objectives and condensers, I did it myself with a Pelican case.

Key is complete removal of all user-removable parts, otherwise, the thing will disassemble itself and you have a box of damaged parts.

woyjwjl

#3 Post by woyjwjl » Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:37 am

If he is young enough, there is no need to consider :D
for example:viewtopic.php?f=24&t=18684
Micrographers from China, thanks to the forum for providing a platform for exchange

sreynolds

#4 Post by sreynolds » Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:57 pm

I made a box for my Wild M3B which I am reasonably comfortable using for transport in the car - box is made from 1/4" hardwood plywood on a hardwood frame, hardware is from Penn-Elcom fastened with 3/16" pop rivets. The base has a full 1" layer of foam with a second layer cut out to capture the base of the microscope. The top has a recess, padded above, to capture the focusing rail. With the Motic photobridge installed, I have to drop the focus adjustment down to a little above the stage.
CAM16055.JPG
CAM16055.JPG (255.56 KiB) Viewed 426 times
CAM16056.JPG
CAM16056.JPG (128.68 KiB) Viewed 426 times
CAM16057.JPG
CAM16057.JPG (223.47 KiB) Viewed 426 times
CAM16058.JPG
CAM16058.JPG (251.26 KiB) Viewed 426 times
Steve

PeteM

#5 Post by PeteM » Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:14 am

A lot depends on whether you will be carrying this about by yourself (and avoid dropping or tossing it from, say, a truck liftgate) -- or intend to hand it off to Fed Ex Ground paid-by-the-second drivers, airport baggage handlers, and the like.

There are dozens of affordable alternatives in the first case, many of them documented in previous posts. Parco or Walter ballistic nylon microscope cases, plastic totes partitioned, carry-on suitcases partitioned, bespoke cases of the sort for taking musical instruments and electronic gear on the road, and things like Respironics cases and wine totes re-purposed. Various robust plastic cases (think Tupperware) are often good for packing things like heads, condensers, lamp housings, and objective turrets separately. You buy one that fits, cushion it inside, seal it up from moisture, and then cushion it again in a larger case along with the bare stand. Bubble wrap and sheets of medium-density foam can be your friend. The latter is easily cut to make custom partitions.

I use extra deep Akro-Mils flip-top boxes (the heavier gray color ones) to hold up to six stereo scopes at a time - each in a little partioned box inside. McMaster-Carr and Zoro are among the US sources.

Less frequently used scopes destined for mentors get packed six-high like this (partitions and cushioning inside). Zeiss Standard scopes are small enough that two will fit. These containers are waterproof and able to absorb a bit of shock - and sometimes get carted into events:
Scope storage.jpg
Scope storage.jpg (103.2 KiB) Viewed 362 times

A simple but robust case can be fine for a quick move, particularly if you don't mind if a tip or jar rubs a bit of paint. I've bought half a dozen of these and both the cases and scopes have held up OK. These are large enough to hold an Olympus BHT or BHTU, a Nikon Labophot or Optiphot, most Leitz models with a 20-watt illuminator, and most any Zeiss Standard with less than a 50 or 100-watt illuminator having out the back: https://www.amazon.com/Walter-Products- ... B00TJ2KEEW You'll typically want to add some padded storage inside for slides, eyepieces, etc.

If it's going to a commercial carrier, you'll want something closer to OEM disassembly and foam packing (Macro-Cosmos' solution) - or sreynold's custom case (nicely done!) PLUS more padding inside and a protective box and bubble wrap around it to protect the 1/4 ply from things like drops and forklift forks.