How to use the AO10 Teaching Head

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
BadDog

How to use the AO10 Teaching Head

#1 Post by BadDog » Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:20 am

Hi,
I have an AO10 setup that came with teaching head adapter and teaching head.
The adapter has a power cord and a long screw that looks like it adjusts something. When I plug the cord in I don't see a light come on. I can't find info on how that mechanism (plug and adjustment screw) is supposed to work . I am supposing there is a bulb that has burned out?
The teaching head seems to be right in sync in focus and field when I focus in on the main head.
I would be grateful if I can be directed to the right documents or if you can share your own experience.

Thank you!!

Bruce

PeteM

Re: How to use the AO10 Teaching Head

#2 Post by PeteM » Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:31 am

Bruce, you're likely referring to the pointer available in some AO teaching heads. It allows an instructor to place an arrow at some point of interest in the visual field; and requires a cord and an external power supply to light it up. P.S. Neeley's "Xmission" website will likely have documentation.

apochronaut

#3 Post by apochronaut » Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:02 pm

The little I think 3 watt bulb backlights it onto the field. You can remove it. There are caps to put over the hole. The halogen transformer has to be equipped with a Y on the output line with an extra socket. With the incandescent illuminator, there is another line and socket shunted off of the line to the illuminator, I think.

BadDog

#4 Post by BadDog » Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:56 pm

Thanks both - A lit pointer makes sense. The illuminator has the Y connector. Just need a lit pointer on the Xmission website (always learning new things from that site).

wabutter

#5 Post by wabutter » Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:38 pm

If you unscrew the end of the pointer control, it looks like it has a flat headed screw slot on the very end, but that is for rotating the bulb inside the shaft for maximum intensity and homogeneity. You will gain access to the base of the pointer bulb. Take care not to lose the spring that contacts the bulb and negative side of the electrical circuit. About half way between the end of the pointer shaft is a small hole on top of the pointer control shaft. , it the bulb is lit, you should be able to confirm it is on by looking at the hole. BTW, the pointer bulb will discolor and lose intensity as it ages, not unlike a conventional incandescent bulb.

BadDog

#6 Post by BadDog » Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:08 pm

Thanks @wabutter, I don't seem to be able to download the manual ( AO 10 Dual Viewing Adapter Manual) at the moment http://webmight.com/~psneeley/downloads ... %20Man.zip
So your instructions are very helpful!!!

BadDog

#7 Post by BadDog » Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:43 pm

With a bit more digging, the patent linked below seems to explain and show the parts or at least the concept quite nicely (altho this suggests an arrow reticle, and some reports by eBay sellers describe a green dot)
https://patents.google.com/patent/US3582178A/en.

I am not sure exactly how to remove the bulb, if I just grab and pull?
The Dual viewing adapter is Part 1039 and the bulb is Part 1021. Per Xmission the GE 328 is a replacement bulb.https://user.xmission.com/~psneeley/Personal/Bulbs.htm
(edited to add the info from Xmission)

apochronaut

#8 Post by apochronaut » Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:11 am

There is a little flange on the bottom of the bulb that it pushes up to yo install. If you can grip that, it should just pull out.

wabutter

#9 Post by wabutter » Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:30 am

Once the cap is removed, just tap on the shaft for the pointer and it will fall out.

BadDog

#10 Post by BadDog » Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:07 pm

Thanks, tapping worked great, the bulb slid right out and filaments looked good. I tested the bulb separately and it lit up fine. The Y plug is also fine, so it is a wire connection somewhere from the Y to the bulb. I am a bit reluctant to take the adaptor ring apart to access the switch and test continuity (it is a Leviton and mechanically works fine; click, click, etc.). Will that cause alignment problems later?
thanks!!