Olympus CK2 won't power on

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
SnowyNW

Olympus CK2 won't power on

#1 Post by SnowyNW » Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:32 am

I've tried using a good bulb, but no dice, so I opened it up and see the white wire connecting from the power supply to the light regulation knob has a very black and burnt terminal. Is this the culprit for my microscope not powering on? Image

If so, would it be as simple as replacing this wire or is everything cooked? All the rest seems to look good, also, what's this little glass tube?Image
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-04-06 at 6.31.18 PM Small.jpeg
Screenshot 2024-04-06 at 6.31.18 PM Small.jpeg (41.15 KiB) Viewed 1204 times
Screenshot 2024-04-06 at 6.30.16 PM Small.jpeg
Screenshot 2024-04-06 at 6.30.16 PM Small.jpeg (36.73 KiB) Viewed 1204 times

bkt

Re: Olympus CK2 won't power on

#2 Post by bkt » Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:09 pm

Images are not so good, don't allow to see things closer...

That wire was probably just a little bit burned by the soldering process. Shouldn't be an issue.

The little glass tube is a fuse. Do you see a small wire inside of it? If that tube is empty, it could have blown. You will then have to replace it, with a fuse of the exact same value, which should be written on it.

bkt

Re: Olympus CK2 won't power on

#3 Post by bkt » Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:35 pm

Additionally, please, define, what this "good bulb" is.

I've found not much about CK2 models. They seem to work with 6V 20W bulbs. What is adequate for yours should be written on a sticker, at the scope rear panel.

On the rear panel, you shall also see an indication about the fuse rating or this "glass tube".

If you had fitted in an inappropriate bulb (more than 20W), the fuse has blown. You would then have to replace both the bulb and the fuse, for the adequate models (the fuse rating should be written on the tube itself).

If it isn't the fuse or the bulb, It would be a bit more complex. Could then be a switch or bulb socket, any bad contact issue...

Anyway, the first things to be checked, before wirings or any other parts: the bulb, is it really Ok and adequate, and the fuse. Look on the bulb, and via the bulb; are its ratings fine, and do you see the intact filament inside? And via the glass tube; do you still see a little wire inside?