Bausch & Lomb Galen II - Seeking Compatible Trinocular Head

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
magnifiedworld

Bausch & Lomb Galen II - Seeking Compatible Trinocular Head

#1 Post by magnifiedworld » Sat May 25, 2024 5:22 pm

Hello everyone,

I recently acquired a Bausch and Lomb Galen II microscope and I'm looking to upgrade it with a trinocular head. However, I'm finding it difficult to identify which trinocular heads from other Bausch and Lomb models, as well as non-B&L options, would be compatible with my Galen II.

Thank you.

apochronaut

Re: Bausch & Lomb Galen II - Seeking Compatible Trinocular Head

#2 Post by apochronaut » Sun May 26, 2024 3:38 pm

Beginning in the 1960's Bausch & Lomb evolved 2 streams of compound microscopes. Those made in Rochester that evolved out of their unique Flat Field optics program and a kind of tier 2 group based on imported microscopes. The imported biological ones had 160mm optics. The most common of the latter were the Galen series. The Galen II was actually a slightly modified Kyowa Unilux. Trino heads for the Unilux, Biolux or Medilux and others should work. If you come across one, you might want to make sure the dovetail is the same but I can't think of any sane reason that it would have been modified for the Galen II.
Last edited by apochronaut on Sat Jun 01, 2024 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Scarodactyl

#3 Post by Scarodactyl » Fri May 31, 2024 5:03 pm

Even past that Kyowa was copying the Olympus BH2 in broad strokes, and might have even used the same dovetail. I think 42mm is a sort of pseudo-standard and there might be a variety of heads that could fit (from olympus or other makers copying them). Or it might not--it would be a good idea to measure the dovetail's outer diameter.

apochronaut

#4 Post by apochronaut » Sat Jun 01, 2024 11:37 am

Scarodactyl wrote:
Fri May 31, 2024 5:03 pm
Even past that Kyowa was copying the Olympus BH2 in broad strokes, and might have even used the same dovetail. I think 42mm is a sort of pseudo-standard and there might be a variety of heads that could fit (from olympus or other makers copying them). Or it might not--it would be a good idea to measure the dovetail's outer diameter.
If it turns out to be 42mm and you can look for options other than Kyowa, you still need to be fairly close to the 160mm tube length to the top of the ocular tubes, measured through the prism fold. Some heads might be too long. It is difficult to shorten but easier to lengthen. There are Indian and Chinese aftermarket trinocular heads, which are o.k. They work. Fairly short and there is extension on the trinocular tube. Search trinocular head, new.

magnifiedworld

#5 Post by magnifiedworld » Tue Jun 04, 2024 1:07 pm

Thanks to all members for their valuable info responses. I am presently searching for one of these recommendations.