New guy -- new microspope -- purchasing experience -- AmScope

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
mich_al

New guy -- new microspope -- purchasing experience -- AmScope

#1 Post by mich_al » Sat May 07, 2016 1:15 am

After some research and consideration, new scope arrived, much excitement.
Amscope B490B compound beginners scope

On arrival initial inspection reveals the condenser adjustment (moves it up and down) is sloppy. While talking to tech support it fails completely and fails to move at all. They offer to send repair parts, I decline since I am not qualified to repair their equipment. They suggest I submit a grumble report. I do and request an RMA and full refund.

Can't believe something this out of whack could ever get thru any quality control.

FYI for those interested.

I'll update as things progress.

zzffnn

Re: New guy -- new microspope -- purchasing experience -- AmScope

#2 Post by zzffnn » Sat May 07, 2016 2:01 am

Could it be that you pushed the condenser rack too high up, so much so that it disengaged from its rack and pinion gear? You may push it back with some force.

On some scopes, such as my LOMO Biolam, that would happen if one pushes the condenser too high up. But then, for that to happen, I think one has to remove the stage first (as stage blocks the condenser from rising too much to point of disengagement).

lorez

#3 Post by lorez » Sat May 07, 2016 2:06 am

Can't believe something this out of whack could ever get thru any quality control
i'm going out on a limb to suggest that there is no quality control at AmScope.

In my mind's eye I see a container / carton operation...

My humble opinions are based on several phone visits with AmScope telephone representatives.

lorez

75RR

#4 Post by 75RR » Sat May 07, 2016 2:08 am

Agree it is best to return it. Not the first time we have heard of this problem with Amscope.
Not quite sure how they conclude that a lack of quality control works in their favor, though I suppose it must.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

lorez

#5 Post by lorez » Sat May 07, 2016 2:10 am

Could it be that you pushed the condenser rack too high up, so much so that it disengaged from its rack and pinion gear?
Under normal operating conditions this will not happen and even if you forced it the design of the rack would prevent the pinion from going off the top.

lorez

mich_al

#6 Post by mich_al » Sat May 07, 2016 3:24 am

zzffnn wrote:Could it be that you pushed the condenser rack too high up, so much so that it disengaged from its rack and pinion gear? You may push it back with some force.

Yea, turns out that's it. If I push it back down all is good. Should not go that hi. Pre-disposed to crap that is crap. Next issue-- screws for the stage are too short. Very difficult to mount anyway and they don't reach. Why am I assembling this anyway? Off to try and find small metric cap screws tomorrow. WTF??? Not really sure these are the right screws anyway seems 4 are needed and 2 rolled out from somewhere that are the right diameter and thread. THIS is the picture of low cost stuff!!! Do I need this?

zzffnn

#7 Post by zzffnn » Sat May 07, 2016 3:32 am

The condenser thing is odd, but some basic scopes, like my LOMO Biolam, have it that way. Many better scopes, as Lorez said, should have mechanism to prevent that from happening.

The stage screws are even more strange. Are you sure you put on the right screws (have you tried other screws that came with the scope)? If so, AmScope really screwed up there.

mich_al

#8 Post by mich_al » Sat May 07, 2016 4:43 am

zzffnn wrote:The condenser thing is odd, but some basic scopes, like my LOMO Biolam, have it that way. Many better scopes, as Lorez said, should have mechanism to prevent that from happening.

The stage screws are even more strange. Are you sure you put on the right screws (have you tried other screws that came with the scope)? If so, AmScope really screwed up there.

75RR

#9 Post by 75RR » Sat May 07, 2016 9:47 am

If you bought it at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/AmScope-B490B-Mag ... B004UI5QT8 it should be relatively simple to get your money back. That will give you $250 to put towards an AO (American Optical), if you can scrape up another $50 you will be much happier with the result.

If I were you I would post a "AO wanted" in the Suppliers, buying and selling section.

See link: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2535

zzffnn

#10 Post by zzffnn » Sat May 07, 2016 1:44 pm

Note AO has infinity line (modern) and 160 tube length line (older). Infinity line can only accept AO's own (and modern Reichert) infinity optics. Both AO's infinity and 160TL line have some limitations.
Last edited by zzffnn on Sat May 07, 2016 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

wmodavis

#11 Post by wmodavis » Sat May 07, 2016 1:53 pm

mich_al - I feel for your difficulties which it seems should not come from a brand new purchased unit of any sort.

Thank you though for posting your experience. It is a reminder of how close I came to possibly a similar experience because that is almost exactly what I originally considered doing - purchasing an off the shelf, ready to go, brand new, shiney, spiffy (did I say 'ready-to-go) microscope.

I discovered this forum before I made the plunge and then stuck my neck out with questions from the fine folks here and that altered my path to microscopy. Now I'm sort of a build my own, do-it-myself kind of guy and like the challenge of short, missing screws etc but sort of don't expect that when buying new. And boy have I been blessed with patience building while trying to get up and running? Certainly have! And will I likely know more about the internal operation of my chosen scope? Certainly will! And am I enjoying the learning process along the way? Yup, as always!

Wish I could be more encouraging to you in your plight. Certainly don't give up. My guess is that there are many squiggly critters begging for your voyeristic peeping into their private affairs. You sound like you might have come to this place with more experience or bent toward microscopy than I did cuz I came from a 'less than scratch' knowledge - only a desire to go for it.

Please continue to update us on your experiences along the way. That's a big part of what makes this a great place to learn and share.
Bill Davis
Olympus BH-2/BHS and BH-2/BHT both with trinoc head.

75RR

#12 Post by 75RR » Sat May 07, 2016 2:34 pm

Note AO has infinity line (modern) and 160 tube length line (older). Infinity line can only accept AO's own (and modern Reichert) infinity optics. Both AO's infinity and 160TL line have some limitations.
Still an excellent first microscope no matter which you go with. Note that unlike many Chinese microscopes, it has a resale value.

mich_al

#13 Post by mich_al » Sat May 07, 2016 3:17 pm

The two issues are related it seems. The condenser can go too high because the stage is not mounted. It appears the stage may have been mounted when the unit was boxed but came loose some time after. That would explain why no assembly screws where provided but 2 where loose in the packing. It may have been mounted with 2 of the needed 4. It might also explain why they appear to be too short, because they stripped out the first 1/8" of threads in the hole. Longer screws solved the stage mounting problem.

zzffnn

#14 Post by zzffnn » Sat May 07, 2016 4:50 pm

That sounds like the case of my LOMO Biolam (in which stage blocks condenser from rising too high to disengagement).

Is the condenser mount 37 mm in diameter?

mich_al

#15 Post by mich_al » Sun May 08, 2016 1:21 am

zzffnn wrote:That sounds like the case of my LOMO Biolam (in which stage blocks condenser from rising too high to disengagement).

Is the condenser mount 37 mm in diameter?

Yes, 37mm condenser.

JimT

#16 Post by JimT » Sun May 08, 2016 11:39 pm

Mich_al, I purchased an Amcope B120-C over a year ago from Amazon and also had a problem with the condenser. Since it was from Amazon it was no trouble to return it but I also found the American distributor of these scopes to be more than willing to help.

I returned the scope, got a replacement, and am quite happy with it.

JimT

mich_al

#17 Post by mich_al » Thu May 12, 2016 6:52 pm

So, I'm attempting to get a new part to replace the part that arrived with stripped out threads.

The situation is simple. The scope arrived with the stage unattached because the screws stripped out of the stage.

I started out with phone support and they quickly switched me to email support. 4 business days in and 4 emails total and it's not real clear they are actually reading mine. I've carefully explained the situation, sent pictures with circles and arrows. They just aren't getting it, or maybe they are and are stalling, I don't know.

Today I called again since the email thing was going nowhere and was gonna take forever to get there.

Not real impressed with the level of concern shown by AmScopes tech support. Don't know that they even have replacement parts. Don't know that I'll be returning to push the button on that stereo scope that's in my cart there. One thing I am sure of is that I do not like this business model.

Al

einman

#18 Post by einman » Thu May 12, 2016 7:06 pm

My limited experience is that they do not carry separate parts and will ultimately have you send it back so they can replace the whole stand. I will say that their service has a LOT to be desired. I have tried to purchase parts in the past and been ignored and/or told the parts are not available so if your scope breaks down outside the warranty forget it.

I do not mean to be negative but these scopes are not really intended to be used heavily and commercially (schools etc) it is cheaper for them to purchase a replacement scope then repair an old one.

I will not repeat past comments about purchasing older big 5 scopes instead of new Amscope stands.

Peter

#19 Post by Peter » Thu May 12, 2016 7:12 pm

mich_al wrote:Can't believe something this out of whack could ever get thru any quality control.

It didn't; you are the quality control!!
Peter.

Dale

#20 Post by Dale » Fri May 13, 2016 1:25 am

I came so close to going the Amscope route, instead I was lucky to get an AO from a forum member.
That scope is for sale on ebay, but I am lowering the price for any forum members.
Dale
B&L Stereozoom 4. Nikon E600. AO Biostar 1820.

mich_al

#21 Post by mich_al » Fri May 13, 2016 3:55 am

Dale wrote:I came so close to going the Amscope route, instead I was lucky to get an AO from a forum member.
That scope is for sale on ebay, but I am lowering the price for any forum members.
Dale

Link?

I went to ebay and searched AO microscope, got 503 hits.

Dale

#22 Post by Dale » Fri May 13, 2016 4:19 am

Here is the link Mich_al
http://www.ebay.com/itm/262424483921?ss ... 1436.l2649
That is for ebay buyers, for the forum my ad is 14th topic under Buying and selling.
It is an American Optical Phasestar.
Dale
B&L Stereozoom 4. Nikon E600. AO Biostar 1820.

einman

#23 Post by einman » Fri May 13, 2016 12:53 pm

I currently own quite a few AO scopes including an AO10 and Ao 120 phasestar. They are built like tanks. Easily fixed and parts are abundant on E-bay. The quality easily exceeds that of any current Amscope for build and the optics are still phenomenal.

Dale's price is right in the ballpark for a phasestar.

If you try and upgrade your Amscope to phase it will set you back about what Dale is asking for his entire scope. And...the comparison is not even close.

mich_al

#24 Post by mich_al » Thu May 19, 2016 1:10 am

Well, to AmScopes credit they replaced my entire stage sub assembly. At first they wanted me to return the whole scope for a replacement but I was concerned I would have the same or similar issue with a replacement and have to start the whole process over from scratch. Today it arrived, I'm satisfied.

EnPassant

#25 Post by EnPassant » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:29 am

mich_al wrote:Well, to AmScopes credit they replaced my entire stage sub assembly. At first they wanted me to return the whole scope for a replacement but I was concerned I would have the same or similar issue with a replacement and have to start the whole process over from scratch. Today it arrived, I'm satisfied.
Who is.. AO, or American Optical/Spenser? Seems their online presence isn't there. Did they actually make those ones in the US? /chuckle.