In search of a first microscope.

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
FramedLink

In search of a first microscope.

#1 Post by FramedLink » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:42 pm

Hey guys, as the title says, I want to get into microscopy so I'm looking into buying my first microscope and I would like some help. This is not connected to work or anything it's strictly a hobby thing.

My budget is something like 500-800eu(maybe a 1000eu), and It will probably take till sometime next year to save that kind of cash(I always do research a year before I do stuff because 1. I'm exited 2. I'm on a site called Microbe Hunter), and I also did some research of my own on what kind I want, and the main thing I want right now is High Powered, I don't know if Digital and Stereoscope will fit in the budget but those things do sound awesome to have. But if there is a good reason, then I can be patient and save an extra 200eu.

So yeah any kind of tips, suggestions, anything will help really. Including a good site for purchase, because I'm not sure I will find a nearby Microscope store(I live in Europe).

JimT

Re: In search of a first microscope.

#2 Post by JimT » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:55 pm

FramedLink, first advice is do not get too enamored with “High Power”. There is a limit to useful power that can be achieved with a compound microscope- up to 1000x with an oil immersion objective. Beyond that and you begin to experience larger images but less detail. What is known as “Empty magnification”.
Continue to do your research but I hope you won't wait until next year to make your purchase. I subscribe to the 80/20 axiom; you can get 80% of the quality of a high priced microscope for 20% of the cost. Plus as you learn more about this hobby you can invest in upgrades that will improve the capability of the scope.
As for a source I bought my scope from Amazon. You don't say where in Europe you are but they might be a source to consider.

gekko

#3 Post by gekko » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:25 pm

FramedLink, welcome to the forum. I agree fully with JimT's advice. As far as a stereo microscope, personally I would wait on that until I've had some experience with the "compound" microscope, to see if whatever I'm doing would be helped by having also a stereo scope. Best of luck on your quest.

mrsonchus

#4 Post by mrsonchus » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:21 am

Hi, as has been said - don't take any notice of magnification above 100x - they're simply
blow-ups not actual optical magnifications.
Stereo-microscopes I think are mainly for looking at larger objects under lower power
such as for dissection of say a flower or to look at perhaps a whole insect.

Buy a budget (say <200 euro) entry-level scope from someone such as Brunel Microscopes in the UK
with a view to buying a more expensive and capable scope after you've 'had a go' at microscopy
and started to prepare samples etc. You'll learn very quickly what you are particularly
interested in (with me it is botany, pollen etc) and perfect the basic skills of preparing,
staining and mounting samples.

You'll soon know exactly what kit you want and what it all means....

Best of luck

JB
John B

FramedLink

#5 Post by FramedLink » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:59 pm

Thank you for the support.

First a couple of things I forgot to mention. I live in Latvia but things like amazon uk or any eu online store is probably fine. I also forgot to mention the purpose of the microscope, the thing that I'm focused on right now is living micro organisms and seeing how they interact with each other, blood cells(probably not just blood cells) sound cool so I assume that these would be the smallest of things and require the max amount of magnification. But I also find the idea of collecting visible things, like insects(buying them in slides, or making my own) and examining them sounds fun as well. I kind of love nature in general I guess. Is it possible to have a MS that can do both things or is it a "Jack of all trades is a master of none" kind of thing?

The idea of first getting familiar with one microscope and then buying a second is probably not for me, I live in an apartment that doesn't have a ton of free space but the idea of upgrading sounds awesome, but I still would like a descent base and not immediately think about upgrading.

JimT: So 1000x is max and if I have the oil that will help make the image more clearer.
mrsonchus: Do you mean 1000x?

So generally people don't use stereo Microscopes for things like micro organisms but isn't it still allot more comfortable to use then a compound microscope?
Also what about the ability to hook up a MS to the monitor or a PC and watch it like that?
Is that a up-gradable thing even if I wont initially have it?

mrsonchus

#6 Post by mrsonchus » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:58 pm

FramedLink wrote:Thank you for the support.

First a couple of things I forgot to mention. I live in Latvia but things like amazon uk or any eu online store is probably fine. I also forgot to mention the purpose of the microscope, the thing that I'm focused on right now is living micro organisms and seeing how they interact with each other, blood cells(probably not just blood cells) sound cool so I assume that these would be the smallest of things and require the max amount of magnification. But I also find the idea of collecting visible things, like insects(buying them in slides, or making my own) and examining them sounds fun as well. I kind of love nature in general I guess. Is it possible to have a MS that can do both things or is it a "Jack of all trades is a master of none" kind of thing?

The idea of first getting familiar with one microscope and then buying a second is probably not for me, I live in an apartment that doesn't have a ton of free space but the idea of upgrading sounds awesome, but I still would like a descent base and not immediately think about upgrading.

JimT: So 1000x is max and if I have the oil that will help make the image more clearer.
mrsonchus: Do you mean 1000x?

So generally people don't use stereo Microscopes for things like micro organisms but isn't it still allot more comfortable to use then a compound microscope?
Also what about the ability to hook up a MS to the monitor or a PC and watch it like that?
Is that a up-gradable thing even if I wont initially have it?
Sorry about that - yes I did mean 1000x! oops...
The basic compound 'scopes usually have one eyepiece, but you can get one with 'binoculars' i.e. two eyepieces
and yes it's very comfortable, especially if you get 'high eyepoint' eyepieces that often have a graphic of a pair
of spectacles on them - they give a very comfortable viewing position indeed, with or without spectacles.
'Stereo' microscopes actually have 2 sets of optics pointing at the same spot, giving a view with depth
to facilitate dissection etc in lower power applications, say up to about 100x (one hundred times) magnification.

Oil is used with a 100x objective because light coming from the subject has to be 'bent' (refracted) to fill the objective
with light and therefore to achieve the 1000x (100x objective x 10x eyepiece) level with full resolution. You can opt for a 60x
objective that doesn't use oil and is therefore a lot easier to use - this can be a more convenient upper limit
(i.e. 600x magnification = 60x objective x 10x eyepiece) allowing rapid movement of slide position and changes to different
objectives.

Hope this helps a little.. JB
John B