Good but affordable microscope brand?

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
barmart

Good but affordable microscope brand?

#1 Post by barmart » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:42 pm

Hi all. I open this thread because I want to get myself a new microscope and retire the one I have, I’ve spent a few days looking for information on brands, models and more, and the truth is that the generally considered "bests” are out of my budget, which is around 400€.

I’ve been told that the best brands are mainly: Zeiss, Leica, Olympus and Nikon, but they are way too expensive… :roll:

In mid-range brands I’ve found many that would fit my budget, the problem is that they all look very similar and I have no idea what brand/model would be better. The features that I want are basically: binocular, at least 4 objectives and LED light. With these specs and looking for around 400€ microscopes I found many, I'll copy here some of them so you can help me to clear my dilemma up:

- Konus Campus (325€)

- BMS 037 led pro 75940 (260€)
- BMS binicular eduled FLArQ (400€)

- Bresser Bino Researcher (315€)
- Bresser BioScience Binocular (400€)

- Euromex Microblue (300€)
- Euromex Ecoblue (380€)
- Euromex Bioblue (440€)

- Optika biológico XLED (480€)

- Omano OM88 1,600x (350€)

- Celestron Labs CB2000C (350€)

- Zuzi 128/22 (400€)

- Ura Technic 107 (480€)

Are any of these good brands? Is any of these models worth buying? Of course, every seller that I ask tells me that the best one is the brand wich he sells (obvious...), so if you could guide me a bit it would be great. Thank you in advance!

kkokkolis

Re: Good but affordable microscope brand?

#2 Post by kkokkolis » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:48 pm

You live in Europe O assume, right?

barmart

#3 Post by barmart » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:49 pm

kkokkolis wrote:You live in Europe O assume, right?
Yes, Spain :D

Anyway the dollar/euro conversion is pretty much the same, so with prices in euros you can make an idea as well

JimT

#4 Post by JimT » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:41 am

You might want to look at the Amscope models with plan objectives. They are all made in China and are good scopes for the price.

Good luck.

barmart

#5 Post by barmart » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:54 am

JimT wrote:You might want to look at the Amscope models with plan objectives. They are all made in China and are good scopes for the price.

Good luck.
Thank you, I didn't know that brand and I'm reading really good reviews

kkokkolis

#6 Post by kkokkolis » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:36 am

That's why I ask. All microscopes you mention are Chinese in fact and Amscopes are Chinese too, but it seems they have the widest product selection with the best prices but are unavailable in Europe, so you must count shipping and perhaps customs too.
Some microscopes are sold under different brand names but are virtually identical.
Add Telescope Express to the options http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/ind ... gical.html
I've seen Konus and Bresser microscopes and they are good, all metallic. Konus are more expensive while they are of comparable quality. The upper layer German and Japanese microscopes are professional or semiprofessional and, while marvelous, not needed in the amateur level.

barmart

#7 Post by barmart » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:49 am

kkokkolis wrote:That's why I ask. All microscopes you mention are Chinese in fact and Amscopes are Chinese too, but it seems they have the widest product selection with the best prices but are unavailable in Europe, so you must count shipping and perhaps customs too.
Some microscopes are sold under different brand names but are virtually identical.
Add Telescope Express to the options http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/ind ... gical.html
I've seen Konus and Bresser microscopes and they are good, all metallic. Konus are more expensive while they are of comparable quality. The upper layer German and Japanese microscopes are professional or semiprofessional and, while marvelous, not needed in the amateur level.
I think I'll be buying one Amscope, they look great.

Nevertheless, I just read one user of the forum saying that in mid-range brands he would only buy IMO, Accu-scope or Labomed. The more I read the more confused I am :x

75RR

#8 Post by 75RR » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:40 am

I open this thread because I want to get myself a new microscope and retire the one I have...
Which microscope do you have at the moment?
The more I read the more confused I am
I do not think you will find a complete consensus on any one brand.

One of the nice things about the "My microscope" section is that you can see what people have and ask them for their opinion.
It avoids hearsay!

You should also have a look at what they are achieving with their microscope in the "Pictures and Videos" section.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

JimT

#9 Post by JimT » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:22 pm

Good advice from 75RR. For what it's worth, I have the Amscope B120. I upgraded to Plan objectives, the 3MP USB camera (wish I had gone to the 5MP), and added a 60x obj in place of the 100x oil and a 20x obj for those times when the 10x is not enough and the 40x is too much.

Amscope allows the buyer to build their own so you can pick the configuration you want. If you plan to do a lot of photography with a DSLR you might consider the trinocular models. They also offer a broad array of accessories so you can always add more as you progress.

I am pleased with it. You can see some of my photos under JimT. Good luck.

barmart

#10 Post by barmart » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:43 am

It seems that finally I made a decision and I'm probably going to get this one: Omano OM139-TL LED Infinity Corrected Plan Optics

Do you think is a good choice?

mrsonchus

#11 Post by mrsonchus » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:16 pm

Looks a beauty to me! You're going to have a fantastic time getting to grips with this beast! Enjoy and post!
John B

gekko

#12 Post by gekko » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:43 pm

I agree with John. But forgive me for raising the point again, and I only do that because of your expressed interest in examining bacteria: can this particular brand/model be equipped with phase-contrast capability from the supplier that you will be buying it from? You may not need that capability right away, but you never know how your needs might develop. My 2-cents' worth.

barmart

#13 Post by barmart » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:47 pm

mrsonchus wrote:Looks a beauty to me! You're going to have a fantastic time getting to grips with this beast! Enjoy and post!
Thanks! I'll be uploading pictures :D

gekko wrote:I agree with John. But forgive me for raising the point again, and I only do that because of your expressed interest in examining bacteria: can this particular brand/model be equipped with phase-contrast capability from the supplier that you will be buying it from? You may not need that capability right away, but you never know how your needs might develop. My 2-cents' worth.
I'm not really sure about that point, but it seems that it can actually be equipped with phase-contrast because some stores are offering the kit, for example here: http://www.robert-lavigne.com/PageWeb/W ... _OM139.htm

"Optional Features for the Omano OM139 Research Microscope

99 Series, 30mm, 20x eyepieces - magnifications to 2000x
99 Series, 30 mm 25x eyepieces - magnifications to 2500x
Dry Darkfield Condenser (please call)
Immersion Darkfield Condenser (please call)
Fine Aluminum Carrying/Storage case with sculpted hard foam interior. (please call)
Eyepiece reticle - at 100x - 1mm grid, XY cross, or 1mm linear scale 100 divisions
50 Animal tissue slides + wooden case
43 Non-animal tissue slides + wooden case.
50 Mixed animal/non-animal tissue slides + wooden case.
50 slides, 50 cover slips, two vials of immersion oil and cleaning cloth
Well or depression slides

Phase Contrast kit
Molded Rubber Eyecups"

gekko

#14 Post by gekko » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:01 am

Looks good!

barmart

#15 Post by barmart » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:41 am

gekko wrote:Looks good!
I've been looking again about the phase-contrast upgrade for this model and I'm not really sure, in fact I think is not upgradable, in the webpage I posted before there's no link to click on that accessory, and on the Omano's official webpage I don't find it either, I only see a 'phase contrast kit' compatible with another model, the OMFL400, and that's not mine... I just asked directly to the seller to clear it out, thank you for the advice!

Meanwhile, I've been looking for other microscopes contrast-phase upgradable, and I've found this one: MOTIC B1-223 ASC Trinocular http://www.amazon.com/Motic-11001005003 ... B00C2FFEVQ

I know that Motic is better brand, the thing is that its specs are worse than the Omano:
- Achromatic objectives (Omano has plan)
- Halogen illumination (Omano has LED),
- 18mm eyepieces (Omano has 30mm)

Would you recommend going to better specs with Omano without phase-contrast? Or worse specs with Motic but having phase-contrast?

mrsonchus

#16 Post by mrsonchus » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:10 am

Hi, just looked at the Motic and I also notice it has no field iris - without it no Kohler..
To me the Motic doesn't look very impressive for the price, plan lenses are a significant improvement over std achromats - much larger flat (i.e. focused) FOV - I know this as I've recently upgraded too.
It looks like a basic 'scope both in terms of it's specification and construction - it even looks like it has a simple rotating series of holes beneath the condenser rather than a proper adjustable condenser iris...
Now I'm no expert but I have recently bought a new 'scope. For the $1000 price tag I think you may be looking at a $500 'scope with a $1000 name attached.
Just my two cents, sorry to interrupt your thread, thought I may be able to help a little.

Oh - if you're able to buy from the UK we have an excellent supplier called 'Brunel Microscopes' (I recently bought a superb 'scope from them) - they have a model very similar to the Omano called the 'SP150' and it definitely does take a phase contrast rig. Here's the link http://www.brunelmicroscopes.co.uk/infinity.html
Last edited by mrsonchus on Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John B

gekko

#17 Post by gekko » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:32 pm

gekko wrote:I agree with John. But forgive me for raising the point again, and I only do that because of your expressed interest in examining bacteria: can this particular brand/model be equipped with phase-contrast capability from the supplier that you will be buying it from? You may not need that capability right away, but you never know how your needs might develop. My 2-cents' worth.
barmart, please forgive me! I got your microscope requirements confused with those of iBeta who is interested in looking at bacteria, where having phase contrast capability would be quite useful I think. Although having phase contrast capability is useful, you may or may not want to plan for adding in the future, and it certainly doesn't hurt to have it, but I was specifically thinking of iBeta's interests as I said, and I was confused. I apologize!

barmart

#18 Post by barmart » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:54 pm

gekko wrote:barmart, please forgive me! I got your microscope requirements confused with those of iBeta who is interested in looking at bacteria, where having phase contrast capability would be quite useful I think. Although having phase contrast capability is useful, you may or may not want to plan for adding in the future, and it certainly doesn't hurt to have it, but I was specifically thinking of iBeta's interests as I said, and I was confused. I apologize!
No apologies! Quite the reverse, your post was very useful, I'm interested in looking at bacteria too, so I discarded the Omano and started looking for phase-contrast upgradable microscopes :D

mrsonchus wrote:Hi, just looked at the Motic and I also notice it has no field iris - without it no Kohler..
To me the Motic doesn't look very impressive for the price, plan lenses are a significant improvement over std achromats - much larger flat (i.e. focused) FOV - I know this as I've recently upgraded too.
It looks like a basic 'scope both in terms of it's specification and construction - it even looks like it has a simple rotating series of holes beneath the condenser rather than a proper adjustable condenser iris...
Now I'm no expert but I have recently bought a new 'scope. For the $1000 price tag I think you may be looking at a $500 'scope with a $1000 name attached.
Just my two cents, sorry to interrupt your thread, thought I may be able to help a little.

Oh - if you're able to buy from the UK we have an excellent supplier called 'Brunel Microscopes' (I recently bought a superb 'scope from them) - they have a model very similar to the Omano called the 'SP150' and it definitely does take a phase contrast rig. Here's the link http://www.brunelmicroscopes.co.uk/infinity.html
Thank you for the information, I didn't know that brand, but the SP150 looks like a real nice option, furthermore, being in the UK means affordable shippings costs and no fees or customs duty. I have been looking for other alternatives too, and I have found an interesting Motic, the BA210. It has infinity optics, plan objectives... and of course, phase contrast upgradable. Here it is: http://www.motic.com/As_LifeSciences_UM ... t_241.html

The BA210 is a bit more expensive than the SP150, but I think the optics are slightly better, and the model seems to be newer too. What do you think?

mrsonchus

#19 Post by mrsonchus » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:37 am

Mmmm - the BA210 looks very nice! It has 'only' 4 objectives as opposed to the 5 of the P150 and it doesn't appear to have a field-iris. The Motic brand is definitely one associated with quality without a doubt. Personally having had the experience I've had with Brunel as a company and with the SP200 'scope - I would definitely go for the SP150. BUT - Motic is a very well-thought-of brand and that doesn't happen by accident! I suspect quality-wise that they are on a par with each other - I can vouch for the build and image quality of a Brunel 'scope without hesitation.
I suppose ultimately you have to go with which one you would rather own - assuming they are functional equivalents which they appear virtually to be...
My advice to you is this: buying a microscope as a hobbyist such as ourselves is not the same as a professional purchase and comes with a whole different set of needs and wants. This 'scope (speaking from my own experience) will be a real treat that starts the moment you decide you're going to buy 'a new 'scope'! You're looking pretty safe with either 'scope from the technical and 'supplier' aspect so choose the one that you simply like the most. Liking your choice isn't trivial or silly - the 'scope will be yours to enjoy and take pleasure from using and owning - go with the one you really fancy owning! They are both delicious instruments of high quality I'd say.

Very best wishes for your purchase - either way you're in for an exciting time! :D
John B

barmart

#20 Post by barmart » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:40 am

mrsonchus wrote:Mmmm - the BA210 looks very nice! It has 'only' 4 objectives as opposed to the 5 of the P150 and it doesn't appear to have a field-iris. The Motic brand is definitely one associated with quality without a doubt. Personally having had the experience I've had with Brunel as a company and with the SP200 'scope - I would definitely go for the SP150. BUT - Motic is a very well-thought-of brand and that doesn't happen by accident! I suspect quality-wise that they are on a par with each other - I can vouch for the build and image quality of a Brunel 'scope without hesitation.
I suppose ultimately you have to go with which one you would rather own - assuming they are functional equivalents which they appear virtually to be...
My advice to you is this: buying a microscope as a hobbyist such as ourselves is not the same as a professional purchase and comes with a whole different set of needs and wants. This 'scope (speaking from my own experience) will be a real treat that starts the moment you decide you're going to buy 'a new 'scope'! You're looking pretty safe with either 'scope from the technical and 'supplier' aspect so choose the one that you simply like the most. Liking your choice isn't trivial or silly - the 'scope will be yours to enjoy and take pleasure from using and owning - go with the one you really fancy owning! They are both delicious instruments of high quality I'd say.
Very best wishes for your purchase - either way you're in for an exciting time! :D
Yes, I noticed the lack of the extra 20x objective on the BA210, it's a pity, but well, we can't have it all I guess :lol:

On the other hand I found disconcerting the field-iris issue you mentioned. I'm really a neophyte on microscope's technical terminology so... is field-iris some kind of different iris diaphragm? The BA210 has iris diaphragm, as seen on its specification sheet: 'focusable Abbe Condenser N.A. 1.25 with iris diaphragm'... so, you didn't notice the specification? or 'iris diaphragm' and 'field iris' are different things? :?

I totally agree with your final statement, ultimately choosing the one you like is the wisest decision you can make, because you are the one who is going to use it and enjoy it, certainly right on that. I think I will probably be buying a Motic because they sell them here in Spain, and I found a seller whose shipping is free in national territory, that's an important aspect too, not increasing the final cost with shipping.

75RR

#21 Post by 75RR » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:52 am

Hi bartmart,
a word of caution. Reading through the specs of the BA210 LED Trinocular I noticed this ominous phrase: Student proof features ...
This effectively means that some parts are fixed or at the very least can not easily be removed.
This could make upgrades difficult or even impossible. You should contact Motic about this!
The BA210 has iris diaphragm, as seen on its specification sheet: 'focusable Abbe Condenser N.A. 1.25 with iris diaphragm'... so, you didn't notice the specification? or 'iris diaphragm' and 'field iris' are different things? :?

For Köhler you need both! The iris diaphragm is part of the condenser and the field diaphragm is part of the light source.

P.S. If you are in the UK and are able to visit Brunel I would recommend that you do so.
There is no substitute for actually trying out a microscope.

gekko

#22 Post by gekko » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:46 am

My 2-cents' worth: I agree with 75RR. If you cannot go to Brunel as 75RR suggested, perhaps you could call call them up. They have a good reputation of offering knowledgeable advice. If you want Koehler illumination, then the specs should state specifically that the microscope is so equipped. I don't really know if LED-illuminated microscopes, even higher end ones, are or need Koehler illumination. To my way of thinking (but I don't know that-- perhaps someone can set me straight) if a single LED is used for illumination with no diffuser, then critical illumination might well give excellent results. What I'm trying to say is that it may well be that Koehler is not available on LED scopes, even very high end ones because, as I see it, there is no filament and the light source is very uniform so there would be no need for Koehler. But this is just guessing on my part as I've not actually checked this out.

mrsonchus

#23 Post by mrsonchus » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:43 pm

Hi, I agree with 75RR and gekko - the 'student-proof' design is potentially limiting - another thought is that the 'scope may not have a condenser that can be centered - adjusted slightly in it's position (side-to-side-back-and-forth) to ensure perfect alignment.
For Kohler you will need:
A field (light-source) diaphragm
A condenser that can be centered (often not found on 'student-proof' 'scopes)

The biggest factor in my opinion (and expensive experience..) is as others have said - versatility - the ability to augment your 'scope with things such as dark-field, phase-contrast, photography (I wouldn't even think about a 'scope without a trinoc-tube) etc - microscopy can take you into many different fascinating areas! Think adaptability and versatility.

You've got a hard decision to make next - don't worry though, neither 'scope is likely to disappoint you.
very best wishes :D
John B

barmart

#24 Post by barmart » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:02 pm

75RR wrote:Hi bartmart,
a word of caution. Reading through the specs of the BA210 LED Trinocular I noticed this ominous phrase: Student proof features ...
This effectively means that some parts are fixed or at the very least can not easily be removed.
This could make upgrades difficult or even impossible. You should contact Motic about this!
The BA210 has iris diaphragm, as seen on its specification sheet: 'focusable Abbe Condenser N.A. 1.25 with iris diaphragm'... so, you didn't notice the specification? or 'iris diaphragm' and 'field iris' are different things? :?

For Köhler you need both! The iris diaphragm is part of the condenser and the field diaphragm is part of the light source.

P.S. If you are in the UK and are able to visit Brunel I would recommend that you do so.
There is no substitute for actually trying out a microscope.
Interesting remark, I didn't know that "student-proof" could be an euphemism for less-versatile. In this respect, a few days ago I contacted Motic asking for upgrading possibilities (mainly darkfield and phase-contrast), and it seems to be easy, in fact I saw a video about this and all you have to do is to fit an accessory on the bottom, here you can see it at 02:58

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJuhJM_W9k0

gekko wrote:My 2-cents' worth: I agree with 75RR. If you cannot go to Brunel as 75RR suggested, perhaps you could call call them up. They have a good reputation of offering knowledgeable advice. If you want Koehler illumination, then the specs should state specifically that the microscope is so equipped. I don't really know if LED-illuminated microscopes, even higher end ones, are or need Koehler illumination. To my way of thinking (but I don't know that-- perhaps someone can set me straight) if a single LED is used for illumination with no diffuser, then critical illumination might well give excellent results. What I'm trying to say is that it may well be that Koehler is not available on LED scopes, even very high end ones because, as I see it, there is no filament and the light source is very uniform so there would be no need for Koehler. But this is just guessing on my part as I've not actually checked this out.
I really could go to the Brunel, shipping to Spain is just 33€, and in fact, the Brunel scope is more affordable than the Motic. Since the Motic costs 1200€, the Brunel would cost 1004€, shipping included.

Regarding the kohler illumination, if you're right and LED illumination means no kohler, then the SP150 shouldn't have it either, because although in their webpage they indicate 'illumination is based on the Kohler" they told me via email that they are not selling halogen anymore, they have changed the halogen for the LED on their models...

mrsonchus wrote:Hi, I agree with 75RR and gekko - the 'student-proof' design is potentially limiting - another thought is that the 'scope may not have a condenser that can be centered - adjusted slightly in it's position (side-to-side-back-and-forth) to ensure perfect alignment.
For Kohler you will need:
A field (light-source) diaphragm
A condenser that can be centered (often not found on 'student-proof' 'scopes)

The biggest factor in my opinion (and expensive experience..) is as others have said - versatility - the ability to augment your 'scope with things such as dark-field, phase-contrast, photography (I wouldn't even think about a 'scope without a trinoc-tube) etc - microscopy can take you into many different fascinating areas! Think adaptability and versatility.

You've got a hard decision to make next - don't worry though, neither 'scope is likely to disappoint you.
very best wishes :D
Useful point there, I will be asking if the condenser can be centered or not, I had no idea of that detail.

On the other hand, as I answered above, the BA210 is easy upgradable to darkfield and phase-contrast, also is fine for photography because is a trino. Is there anything else in terms of versatility to consider which I'm overlooking?

75RR

#25 Post by 75RR » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:08 pm

Interesting remark there, I didn't know that "student-proof" could be an euphemism for less-versatile. In this respect, a few days ago I contacted Motic asking for upgrading possibilities (mainly darkfield and phase-contrast), and it seems to be easy, in fact I saw a video about this and all you have to do is to fit an accessory on the bottom, here you can see it at 02:58

Ok saw the video. A couple of things.

1) It would be useful to know the difference between the Elite versions and the normal ones.
2) The Motic BA210 only provides for 10x and 40x Phase. (Says so in the pdf download) Something around the 20x is actually quite useful.
3) Connecting a camera to a trinocular tube (depending on the method) can require additional parts. You should find out what it would cost.

Thought you might be in the UK - visiting Brunel from Spain is obviously not an option. Sorry.

One more thing... You are now talking about spending much more money than your original post indicated.
You did not mention what your previous microscope was - but an option would be to stick to your original spending plan i.e. €350 - €400 and upgrade to a new microscope say in a year or so when you know exactly what you want. Experience is the best adviser.

I would also suggest that during that time you join a local microscope club - if there is one in your area.

gekko

#26 Post by gekko » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:13 pm

I echo 75RR's suggestion of joining a local microscope club if there is one close to you. I would even suggest that you do that before buying your microscope, as you will get much useful advice from experienced hobbyists. I agree completely with the advice and comments of mrsonchus and of 75RR. I looked again at the scopes in question. Brunel are honest in saying that the illumination is based on Koehler, meaning it is not strictly Koehler, but I don't think that is a big deal. The LED scopes do not use Koehler (but my earlier statement that even high end microscopes with LED illumination do not use Koehler is demonstrably wrong: http://www.olympus-lifescience.com/en/m ... ight/bx43/). Regardless, I agree strongly with everyone about avoiding microscopes made specifically for student use. Centering of the condenser is only needed, I think, when the microscope is equipped with Koehler illumination. For micrsocopes not so equipped, the condenser is pre-centered at the factory and is not usually provided with a centering mechanism as far as I know. One limitation (which may or may not be important to you) is that all of the microscopes discussed have a 4-position turret; I personally would prefer a 5-position one as otherwise if you want to use your 20x or 60x objective, you'll have to exchange it for one on the microscope. I think 75RR's recommendation has merit: to get an inexpensive one then in a couple of years, when you will know exactly what features are important to you and how much you want to spend, you can upgrade to a better scope.

barmart

#27 Post by barmart » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:25 am

75RR wrote:Ok saw the video. A couple of things.

1) It would be useful to know the difference between the Elite versions and the normal ones.
2) The Motic BA210 only provides for 10x and 40x Phase. (Says so in the pdf download) Something around the 20x is actually quite useful.
3) Connecting a camera to a trinocular tube (depending on the method) can require additional parts. You should find out what it would cost.

Thought you might be in the UK - visiting Brunel from Spain is obviously not an option. Sorry.

One more thing... You are now talking about spending much more money than your original post indicated.
You did not mention what your previous microscope was - but an option would be to stick to your original spending plan i.e. €350 - €400 and upgrade to a new microscope say in a year or so when you know exactly what you want. Experience is the best adviser.

I would also suggest that during that time you join a local microscope club - if there is one in your area.
When I asked Motic for information they also told me the differences between BA210 and BA120E (elite), it seems that the BA120E has basically four advantages, I will transcribe them here:
- Objectives optics have 30% more contrast
- Easily interchangeable LED and halogen illumination
- Bigger stage
- Steel construction of the movement system

About connecting the camera to the trinocular tube, well... I already have an adapter that I use for a telescope, so the part that fits to the camera will work, I would only need the part that fits in the microscope's tube.

You're right in your observation, now I'm thinking about spending more money in the scope. Well, as you can see my original post was opened more than one week ago, on these days I have been making a lot of 'research'... when I opened the post I didn't really know what money would be worth spending, so I said 400€ because I thought that would be ok, now I have read a lot of information and microscope specifications, and I think that it would be better to go directly to a nice microscope, with plan infinity optics, upgradable, etc., so I won't have the need to buy another one in the near future :D

The microscope that I currently have is a very very very basic one, a monocular Starblitz, so I think this decision of moving from a low-end 150€ to a 1000€ one fits with my personality of 'all or nothing' :lol:

With regard to the microscope clubs you mention, I didn't think about that, but unfortunately I don't think that it will be easy to find something like that here, I'm from Spain... and even more I do not live in the capital so... in any case I'll take a look but I don't I will find anything like that here.

gekko wrote:I echo 75RR's suggestion of joining a local microscope club if there is one close to you. I would even suggest that you do that before buying your microscope, as you will get much useful advice from experienced hobbyists. I agree completely with the advice and comments of mrsonchus and of 75RR. I looked again at the scopes in question. Brunel are honest in saying that the illumination is based on Koehler, meaning it is not strictly Koehler, but I don't think that is a big deal. The LED scopes do not use Koehler (but my earlier statement that even high end microscopes with LED illumination do not use Koehler is demonstrably wrong: http://www.olympus-lifescience.com/en/m ... ight/bx43/). Regardless, I agree strongly with everyone about avoiding microscopes made specifically for student use. Centering of the condenser is only needed, I think, when the microscope is equipped with Koehler illumination. For micrsocopes not so equipped, the condenser is pre-centered at the factory and is not usually provided with a centering mechanism as far as I know. One limitation (which may or may not be important to you) is that all of the microscopes discussed have a 4-position turret; I personally would prefer a 5-position one as otherwise if you want to use your 20x or 60x objective, you'll have to exchange it for one on the microscope. I think 75RR's recommendation has merit: to get an inexpensive one then in a couple of years, when you will know exactly what features are important to you and how much you want to spend, you can upgrade to a better scope.
Well, as I answered to 75RR above, I don't think I can find here a microscope club, the more similar thing, and I have already done it, is going to stores and personally take a look to the microscopes they have, and asking for some advices.

Returning to the subject of the "student-proof" detail, as I asked previously, if student-proof is an euphemism for 'less-versatile', and keeping in mind that the BA210 admits photography (trino), phase-contrast and darkfield...: is there anything else remarkable in terms of versatility to consider which I'm overlooking apart from the 4-5 objectives issue? :?

I know what you and 75RR mean with going for an inexpensive microscope first, and I really agree with that, maybe it would be better having experience and practice first with a 400€ microscope and then buying a bigger one, but well... I think I would be spending more money that way, and also as I said, I like investing heavily, the kind of all or nothing :D

mrsonchus

#28 Post by mrsonchus » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:24 pm

Buy the Motic!
John B

barmart

#29 Post by barmart » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:38 pm

I think I'm changing my mind again :lol:
I've seen a Zeiss for a similar price (1200€), the Zeiss Primo Star, it has all the specs I was looking for (plan, infinite, upgrades...), plus being fluorescence upgradable. I think is a good purchase.

My concern is that with the same budget (1200€) I'm moving in the low-end Zeiss models, while with those 1200€ I think I was moving in the mid-range of Motic. Also, the Zeiss is a binocular, while the Motic is trinocular. Which one do you think is the best choice?

This is the microscope: https://www.micro-shop.zeiss.com/?s=170 ... &p=us&l=en
Last edited by barmart on Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

75RR

#30 Post by 75RR » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:06 pm

The choice has be yours. You will after all have to "live" with it.
All we should really do is point out things that you might want to take into account.

Speaking of which - you should think not only about upgrade-ability but also the true cost of doing so.
i.e. Phase Contrast not only requires a Phase Condenser but Phase Objectives as well.