LOMO Biolam microscopes - availability

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
IanW

LOMO Biolam microscopes - availability

#1 Post by IanW » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:29 pm

I own an MBU-4, basic student rig from the seventies, and was looking to build a trinocular scope with Biolam parts but have discovered that new LOMO scopes are no longer available in the USA - They were up until last year though. Furthermore, there is very little of quality available on Ebay at the moment - just dregs at silly prices.

Has anyone any pointers?

Thanks.
Zeiss Jena NF, Zeiss Standard 18 and WL

Crater Eddie

Re: LOMO Biolam microscopes - availability

#2 Post by Crater Eddie » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:12 pm

Hello IanW.
I hope you find some sources and share them with us.
It was my understanding that LOMO PLC quit importing LOMO scopes into the US in 2006 because of some shift in Russian policy. It was also my understanding that nobody else was importing them either, was I mistaken?
Optics Planet has had some miscellaneous parts left over that they have been selling off at high prices, but their stock is almost gone now... might be all gone by now as I haven't talked with them in a while. From time to time American Science & Surplus has a few LOMO parts available, but their stock is dwindling also.
That's all I know about, sorry I'm not much help.
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)
Cameras: Canon T3i, Olympus E-P1 MFT, Amscope 3mp USB

IanW

#3 Post by IanW » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:17 pm

Thank you for your reply. What a shame. I remember a time when you could buy all things Russian from Technical and Optical in London 30 + years ago. I was sure the US still stocked LOMO last year.

I'll have to rethink. I've spotted a 1980s Carl Zeiss standard research trinocular for 400. Might be the way to go.

Thanks
Zeiss Jena NF, Zeiss Standard 18 and WL

einman

#4 Post by einman » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:08 pm

What parts are you looking for? There is a seller from Armenia. If you tell them what you are looking for they will try to find it for you.

That is how I obtained some of my WI objectives. QELEVASO I believe is their E-bay name. I have a Biolam for sale but it is not one of the later more advanced models so would probably not meet your needs.