Filament Alignment

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
75RR

Filament Alignment

#1 Post by 75RR » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:26 pm

Still fiddling about with the RA.

Was reading up to make sure I had things as they should be when I came across this sentence:

Center the image of the filament, then center the image of the reflection so that the vertical lines of the primary and reflection images are interdigitated.

Got lost on image of the reflection let alone how to center it.

Attaching relevant page.

Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

lorez

Re: Filament Alignment

#2 Post by lorez » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:40 pm

What is RA ?

lorez

75RR

#3 Post by 75RR » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:48 pm

Zeiss RA

lorez

#4 Post by lorez » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:55 pm

OK, now I understand.

There is no mirror in this system, but the lamp is centerable. If there are no diffusers in the light path you should be able to see an image of the filament. When you have an image of the filament all you can do is center it. A little experimenting with the centering screws will show you the differences in light quality. That should yield excellent results.

Can I borrow you microscope ?

lorez

gekko

#5 Post by gekko » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:12 pm

My 2-cents' worth:
Question: does your lamp housing have a concave mirror just behind the bulb? Either way the alignment is quite simple. It sounds complicated when I describe it below, but it is not.
The object is to get the filament image in focus at the back focal plane of the objective and filling (as far as possible) the aperture of the objectives (including the higher NA ones). [Added in Edit]. Of course, this procedure is appropriate only for microscopes equipped with Koehler illumination.

1. If there is no mirror:
a. remove all diffusing filters (if any) from the light path.
b. focus the microscope on a slide using a 10x or 20x objective (stage micrometer is excellent for the purpose, but any slide will do). After you obtain focus, move the slide to a clear area.
c. Adjust the condenser so the edge of the field diaphragm is in focus, then open it all the way.
d. Turn down the lamp voltage so the filament just glows. Remove an eyepiece (or use a phase-centering telescope, or, if your microscope is equipped with one, use your Bertrand lens) and look at the back focal plane of the objective. If you are using a telescope or Bertrand lens, close the condenser iris partially so you can see its edge, then focus the telescope or Bertrand lens on the edge of the condenser iris.
e. Open the condenser iris fully, and, while looking at the back focal plane of the objective, adjust the lamp such that the filament is centered in the field of view and is in focus (filament is sharp).
f. Check the adjustment using higher NA dry objectives that you have installed. The image of the filament in the back focal plane of the objective should be centered, sharp, and should fill the aperture (you may not be able to to have the width of the filament fill the aperture if the lamphouse is not equipped with a mirror).
That is it.
2. If behind the bulb there is a mirror, then in step e above, you look at the image of the filament and the image-of-the-image of the filament thrown by the mirror and adjust the two images to be side-by-side and in focus. The idea is to better fill the back focal plane of the objective with the image of the [filament+its mirror image]. Otherwise the adjustment is the same as in 1 above.

If your lamp housing does not incorporate a mirror, then, if your bulb is rated at 12 V and 50 W (or even 60 W) I think it would be worth using the Zeiss bulbs described in the link below (I bought several and they are excellent and the selling price is low)
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=147
The filament in those bulbs is flat and has a larger width-to-length ratio than the usual ones available, so their larger width fills more of the objective aperture, giving better resolution.
(I just checked, and the seller still lists them for sale). I think that they are worth using even if there is a mirror behind the bulb.

After I finished writing this I saw that lorez indicated that there is no mirror in this lamphouse, but I decided to keep the section concerning adjustment when there is a mirror just to be complete.
Last edited by gekko on Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

75RR

#6 Post by 75RR » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:19 pm

There is no mirror in this system, but the lamp is centerable. If there are no diffusers in the light path you should be able to see an image of the filament. When you have an image of the filament all you can do is center it. A little experimenting with the centering screws will show you the differences in light quality. That should yield excellent results.
Have no problem seeing (after swinging out the diffuser), focusing nor centering the filament.
Have problems with "the image of the reflection of the filament" - not sure what they mean?
Is it on another plane? I can't see it.
Can I borrow you microscope ?
My microscope thanks you for the compliment.

75RR

#7 Post by 75RR » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:26 pm

2. If behind the bulb there is a mirror, then in step e above, you look at the image of the filament and the image-of-the-image of the filament thrown by the mirror and adjust the two images to be side-by-side and in focus. The idea is to better fill the back focal plane of the objective with the image of the [filament+its mirror image]. Otherwise the adjustment is the same as in 1 above.
So "the image of the reflection of the filament" is a product of a mirror?
So no mirror, no "image of the reflection of the filament".
That is what I wanted to know. Thanks. Will stop looking for it as there is no mirror! :)
Last edited by 75RR on Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

lorez

#8 Post by lorez » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:28 pm

I'm glad gekko is doing all the typing. Follow his instructions for the part about NO MIRROR. Since there is no mirror there will be no reflection. Also, get the correct bulb. The good scopes are designed to work with a specific bulb and substitutes are frowned upon...

lorez

75RR

#9 Post by 75RR » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:33 pm

I had focused on the front aperture of the condenser which I believe is the equivalent of focusing on the back focal plane of the objective so all is well. Thanks everyone.

gekko

#10 Post by gekko » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:34 pm

75RR wrote:Have no problem seeing (after swinging out the diffuser), focusing nor centering the filament.
Have problems with "the image of the reflection of the filament" - not sure what they mean?
Is it on another plane? I can't see it.
No, it is in the same plane (both the filament and its mirror image are imaged at the back focal plane of the objective).
However, if there is no mirror in the lamphouse immediately behind the bulb, then there is no mirror image to worry about.
If the lamphouse is equipped with a concave mirror, then you may not be able to see the image of the filament if the adjustment that controls the position of the mirrored image is such that it is throwing the image out of the field of view.

gekko

#11 Post by gekko » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:37 pm

75RR wrote:I had focused on the front aperture of the condenser which I believe is the equivalent of focusing on the back focal plane of the objective so all is well. Thanks everyone.
Yes, if what you are saying is that, with the microscope focused on a slide and the condenser properly adjusted, you focused the filament on the condenser's iris diaphragm.

75RR

#12 Post by 75RR » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:50 pm

Yes, if what you are saying is that, with the microscope focused on a slide and the condenser properly adjusted, you focused the filament on the condenser's iris diaphragm.
Had set up for Köhler. Will run though it again to make sure all is as it should be and cross check with the back focal plane of the objective as well.

gekko

#13 Post by gekko » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:58 pm

gekko wrote:
75RR wrote:I had focused on the front aperture of the condenser which I believe is the equivalent of focusing on the back focal plane of the objective so all is well. Thanks everyone.
The reason I didn't suggest focusing the filament on the front focal plane of the condenser was that the back focal plane of the objective is easier to get at, especially when your microscope is equipped with a Bertrand lens, but both are conjugate planes**, so one can use whichever is more convenient.