measuring reticle for my eyepiece

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
mintakax

measuring reticle for my eyepiece

#1 Post by mintakax » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:07 pm

The eyepieces that came with my BHS/BH2 scope are SWHK 10XL. They are 30mm OD and I can see no way to fit any kind of reticle to them. At the bottom there is a "lens" that is flush with the bottom and no portion of the eyepiece appears to be able to unscrew. Any suggestions ?

MichaelG.

Re: measuring reticle for my eyepiece

#2 Post by MichaelG. » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:20 pm

Too many 'projects'

MicroBob

#3 Post by MicroBob » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:08 pm

From other, mostly simpler eyepieces I can remember tht there often was a stop inside that just was a perfect place for a reticule. I had to transform most on my eyepieces into measuring eyepieces for a group meeting a couple of years ago. A basic reticule can be printed on OHP foil with a laser printer. Not perfect but ok.

Bob

mintakax

#4 Post by mintakax » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:14 am

MichaelG. wrote:I think this might help

http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/ind ... piece.html

MichaelG.
Oh my ! Quite a comprehensive tear down of those eyepieces.

Thanks Michael

mintakax

#5 Post by mintakax » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:15 am

MicroBob wrote:From other, mostly simpler eyepieces I can remember tht there often was a stop inside that just was a perfect place for a reticule. I had to transform most on my eyepieces into measuring eyepieces for a group meeting a couple of years ago. A basic reticule can be printed on OHP foil with a laser printer. Not perfect but ok.

Bob
Thanks Bob !

microcosmos

#6 Post by microcosmos » Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:56 am

MichaelG. wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:20 pm
I think this might help

http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/ind ... piece.html

MichaelG.
Interestingly, my SWHK 10X L eyepiece is different from the one described by Greg McHone in the linked article above.

It does not have the separate tube section in the lower part of the tube that is detachable by loosening three setscrews. It is just a one-piece tube. But it does have the three setscrews at the top where you can unscrew the helicoid.

This photo (looking down into the eyepiece from the top after the eye lens helicoid assembly was removed) shows the reticle inside my SWHK eyepiece. It doesn't have the collar that Greg McHone has in his eyepiece. My reticle is just glued on with three dabs of glue.

My eyepiece isn't marked with the boxed letter that indicates what kind of reticle is inside; maybe it is a reticle-less version of the SWHK eyepiece, but someone added a reticle himself? It seems to work. The eyepiece does have the protruding screw head at the side for slotting into the notch in the head tube.

I will measure the exact diameter of the reticle when the appropriate tools arrive.

Hope this is useful in case someone has a similar situation.
Last edited by microcosmos on Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

microcosmos

#7 Post by microcosmos » Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:10 am

After some digging I found the Olympus micrometer discs specification sheet - see page 3.

It appears that the eyepiece that Greg McHone was working on in his article was a special version incorporating a photo mask reticle (called the SWHK10x field-of-view eyepiece), not the normal SWHK eyepiece, although the two are almost identical.

Olympus says in the document that "it is very difficult to position a reticle in the front focal plane" of the normal SWHK eyepieces, and that you should buy the field-of-view eyepiece and replace its photo mask reticle instead.

But a previous owner of my normal SWHK eyepiece managed to do it. You just have to access the reticle shelf by disassembling the helicoid at the top, instead of getting in from the bottom, and glue on the reticle as shown in the image in the previous post.

[edit: I misread the document and mistook the SWH on page 4 for the SWHK, which is on page 3. I have corrected the information above.]
Last edited by microcosmos on Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Greg Howald

#8 Post by Greg Howald » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:23 am

Amscope Eyepiece EP10XPOR. 46.00 dollars.
30mm, 10x eyepiece with Reticule.
The only one I found.
Greg