Can i retrofit a Zeiss Axiostar to Trinocular

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
Marco68

Can i retrofit a Zeiss Axiostar to Trinocular

#1 Post by Marco68 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:43 pm

Hi All,

I have to decide if to buy a binocular Zeiss Axiostar ( the standard version, not the Axiostar Plus. Not sure of the difference) or alternativelly a trinocular Leica Laborlux S.

I would go for the Zeiss, because more recent, if there is a way to retrofit it to trinocular...i would like to try to play with my Fuji mirrorless camera sooner or later

Do you have any idea ?

Thanks !
Marco from Italy/Torino
Leica DMLS microscope with 4x, 10x, 40x, 100x

einman

Re: Can i retrofit a Zeiss Axiostar to Trinocular

#2 Post by einman » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:03 am

Apparently! Here is one on E-bay with a trinocular head.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Zeiss-Axiostar ... Swt-Bdweun

I have seen several although they were all marked as the axio PLUS. I did a quick google search and found a few but they were marked PLUS as well. Although that does not mean the heads are not interchangeable.

75RR

#3 Post by 75RR » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:08 am

Here is a review of the Axiostar you may want to read:

http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/ind ... ostar.html

Do note that it is an infinity system and that upgrading the objectives will be quite expensive.

I suggest you have a look on ebay at the cost of any upgrade you may be contemplating before you buy.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Marco68

#4 Post by Marco68 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:03 pm

Thanks for reply ! Yes, I am aware of the high cost of any upgrade of Zeiss infinity objective..but i do not think i will ever buy a Apo objective. It may well happen that i have to change an objective because i damage it, but i saw 40x Zeiss infinite objective for 150euro which is reasoneable : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zeiss-Plan-N ... OSwyyZdyde~

About retrofit to Trinocular i have asked to Zeiss directly...let's what/if they answer.
Marco from Italy/Torino
Leica DMLS microscope with 4x, 10x, 40x, 100x

einman

#5 Post by einman » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:56 pm

Hmm..I would be very surprised if Zeiss responded with any useful information,if they do, awesome. Most of the microscope manufacturers have no interest in facilitating the continued use of their older scopes, hoping instead, to lure you into a newer one with a shorter life span.

BramHuntingNematodes

#6 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:59 pm

Here is a question from someone that's only ever used old 'scopes: what would be the limiting factor in the lifespan of a new microscope?
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

Hobbyst46

#7 Post by Hobbyst46 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:04 pm

BramHuntingNematodes wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:59 pm
Here is a question from someone that's only ever used old 'scopes: what would be the limiting factor in the lifespan of a new microscope?
IMHO, the quality of the mechanical controls (specimen focusing mechanism, condenser focusing mechanism, stage motion controls) and the availability of replacement parts for those - provided that self- maintenance is feasible.

If the microscope is of research grade and is operated via dedicated software (or its camera operation depends on dedicated software), then the inter-compatibility between the dedicated software and the operating system can become a limiting factor, too. At least in the MS Windows world.

BramHuntingNematodes

#8 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:11 pm

Oh gosh I didn't even think of a microscope becoming bricked with an OS deprecation. Sounds like a nightmare.
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

einman

#9 Post by einman » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:37 am

I did see a newer brochure for a Zeiss indicating that with proper maintenance etc you could expect the scope to last up to 15 years. Of course they fail to mention they themselves attempt to obsolete models within that time. This is quite the contrary to existing older models in fine condition being many decades old. Construction is just not up to the same standards or materials.

I am sure I will hear from individuals defending the composition of modern scopes and the polymers used to build them, but one only has to look at the bodies of "newer" Zeiss scopes compared to the older metal ones and you can see where knobs crack and fail, bodies become discolored and electronics fail. The older mechanical scopes keep on trucking with help from some lubrication and perhaps a lighting upgrade.

Some new Chinese scopes brag about using metal parts! Really!

sigitask

#10 Post by sigitask » Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:21 pm

I just bought Zeiss Axiostar Plus binocular to. The same question: how to convert it to trinocular? Any ideas what Zeiss heads can pass to Axiostar plus? Also if i understand right this microscope has RMS objective thread? Other more precise Zeiss infinity microscopes has M27 threads? Is it right? I would like to make DF on this microscope, so will look some 100x oil iris objective.