Biolam phase contrast set compatibility?

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
dunk

Biolam phase contrast set compatibility?

#1 Post by dunk » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:13 pm

Advice required please:

I have a Biolam 4 objective phase contrast set inc. telescope.

Is the Lomo phase contrast condenser originally designed for Biolam ‘scopes, compatible with current Zenith Lumax/ Ultra / Microlab series of microscopes?

Thank you.

dunk

PeteM

Re: Biolam phase contrast set compatibility?

#2 Post by PeteM » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:02 pm

Not sure if this helps, but I once adapted a Lomo phase contrast to another microscope (a Fisher MicroMaster). The phase condenser was something like 37mm diameter fitting - don't remember the exact fitting - but it was off enough I had to machine half a mm or something to get a fit. The stage also had to be raised. It was enough of a pain, I wouldn't do that conversion again just to save a few bucks on a phase set - in part because while the Fisher MicroMaster is an OK scope, it has so many fiddly gib adjustments it easily ends up with loose racks.

I mention this because a quick look at a Lumax Microlab and my recollection of the Fisher MicroMaster is that they look fairly similar; maybe out of the same factory?? The MicroMaster I had was made in Japan; later ones were sourced out of China.

One quick check would be to measure the collar diameter of your Biolam phase condenser and ask the seller to do the same for the condenser holder (ID) of the Zeith etc. scope you're considering. It would have to be the type that clamps a collar on the condenser.

I'd suspect Zeiss and Lomo are similar enough the stages might be about the same thickness - not sure about Lumax. Perhaps photos of a Biolam and the Zenith etc. scope stage might provide some info??

dunk

Re: Biolam phase contrast set compatibility?

#3 Post by dunk » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:36 pm

Thank you PeteM … Possible that the Lumax stand might originate from the same factory as Fisher Micromaster. I do not have any machining facilities. My best bet is to find a Biolam instrument … Zeiss, including vintage Zeiss Jena are likely outside my budget.

BW

dunk