interchangeable microscope parts

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
MWC

interchangeable microscope parts

#1 Post by MWC » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:52 pm

Hello everyone!
I won a Leitz Laborlux S at a surplus auction and have purchased a Olympus BH2 from Ebay. Both have good optics, but what I really need is polarizing capability and a circular stage. The poor man's crossed polarization has been obtained by strategically fitting a couple of lenses from the camera shop. The circular stage problem is not so easy to solve on the cheap. How interchangeable are stages from different manufacturers? Can I fit a Zeiss rotating stage onto the olympus etc.? I know someone out there has tried it. Thanks for your help!
MWC

PeteM

Re: interchangeable microscope parts

#2 Post by PeteM » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:59 pm

Nikon Labophot/Optiphot and Olymus BH2/BHS stages will interchange; but with a height distance. They are not quite the same diameter of dovetail mount; but close enough that the fixing screw can take up the slack.

Zeiss Standard stages are different and typically screw to their carrier rather than be placed over a large circular dovetail.

If you have access to machining facilities it is often possible to adapt a stage; with a common problem to avoid being the condenser not raising high enough or interfering (flip top types etc.) with the stage.

If you don't need a silky smooth rotating stage and precise centering, it's possible to machine one from scratch and have it rotate on the turret of your Olympus.

MWC

Re: interchangeable microscope parts

#3 Post by MWC » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:21 pm

Thank you so much Pete M,
You kept me from wasting money that could have been saved for the correct stage.
MWC