More bad Russian glass

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
Crater Eddie

More bad Russian glass

#1 Post by Crater Eddie » Thu May 21, 2015 5:55 pm

The LOMO 20x APO objective arrived today from Belarus, after taking a leisurely detour to Malta. Preliminary looking through the objective with the unaided eye was very promising, but looking through it with my inspection scope revealed what you see above. This must be delamination, yes?
The bottom photo is with the objective rotated about 90 degrees, you see the misshapen blob of light in the middle follows the hairline near the edge.
If I didn't have access to the inspection scope at work I would not have spotted this. I'll try out this objective in my compound scope at home tonight to see how bad the image is.
Am I being too critical?
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)
Cameras: Canon T3i, Olympus E-P1 MFT, Amscope 3mp USB

75RR

Re: More bad Russian glass

#2 Post by 75RR » Thu May 21, 2015 7:09 pm

You would appear to have delamination in at least two of the lenses.
If I didn't have access to the inspection scope at work I would not have spotted this.
Part of the problem is that many times the sellers do not know how to check for it.

see link: http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/art ... delam.html
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

gekko

#3 Post by gekko » Thu May 21, 2015 7:18 pm

Sorry about that. It certainly doesn't look good.

apochronaut

#4 Post by apochronaut » Thu May 21, 2015 7:39 pm

Did you say, Belarus? I would have thought it came from Delami . You know, the Delami nation. It's very small but has graced the world with it's most famous export for over a century.................... looks like a synthetic cement to me. Lomo probably got offered many liters for few rubles , of the rejected supply from whoever it was that B&L got euchred by, in the 1980's.
If your Lomo had Canada Balsam( Siberian Balsam?), it would likely be crazed and removeable and fixable, even re-settable in situ, with not too much effort but some of that synthetic stuff is tenacious. I have been told that gentle heating will reset it( the B&L version) but I have never been able to do it and the solvents needed are sometimes acetonitrile or other peculiar substances that also melt your fingernails. It's a secret formula, you know...a secret formula for making romantic soft focus lenses. Usually they all go to Hollywood but the market for films about amorous amoebas is flat.
One thought always rises to the surface , when faced with this. Perhaps, the other lens has a different hazy element , and you can get in on a 2 for 1 sale?

Crater Eddie

#5 Post by Crater Eddie » Fri May 22, 2015 12:24 am

I have done a little quick observing with the Apo and compared it with the 20x Achro, and it just makes me sick. In the exact center of the field, the Apo is just as sweet as it can be, far superior to the Achro, as one would expect. Just out from the center though it gets muddy.
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)

apochronaut

#6 Post by apochronaut » Fri May 22, 2015 12:08 pm

So your other is an achro; I thought you had 2 the same. Is it not returnable? You have photographic evidence of it's defect.

Many of the Lomo objectives are actually older Jena designs. Some, if you line them up side by side are identical, except for the name. I'm pretty sure the 20x apo is one of them. Sometimes you see those around for very little. Perhaps it might be a more reliable option, if you can get a refund on this one, although I have several examples of Jena objectives( 2x 60x apos with iris), that have the same problem, only worse..

Crater Eddie

#7 Post by Crater Eddie » Fri May 22, 2015 12:43 pm

I liked your "Delami Nation" bit, I might have to borrow that!
Yes, my other 20x is an Achromat, the original was covered in fungus and I had to get it replaced. You might be thinking of my recently acquired 40x, which is an Apo.
I was actually quite pleased with the 20x Achromat until I looked through this 20x Apo... the good spots are very good.
The seller is apologetic and has offered a refund, so it will work out in the end. Eventually. I just hate having to try and find a replacement... a GOOD replacement.
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)

charlie g

#8 Post by charlie g » Fri May 22, 2015 3:58 pm

Sorry for your optics let down, Crater Eddie. I'm con-US and always 'chickened out' of purchase from Belarus..often I see optics from there which I would like to aquire...I just worried about return policy. I am glad to learn the seller will refund to you..it's still a loss for everyone around the purchase though. I wonder if prior to the apo sale...I wonder if the items were described as:'optically performs excellent'...'optically with no flaws'...or was it: 'as is'...'untested'? We do 'drop duckets' for apo objectives...so I always am worried by a sour apochromatic objective sale. charlie guevara

Crater Eddie

#9 Post by Crater Eddie » Fri May 22, 2015 4:27 pm

Hi Charlie, thanks for chiming in.
It was listed as "mint condition". I asked the seller if there was any fungus or delamination and he replied No, the lens is clear, so I took a chance.
I am now a bit wiser in the realization that some sellers apparently really don't know how to properly check objectives for these flaws.
After I get this settled I think I will be finished with buying optics from unknown sources, no matter how good their reputation. (twice bit thrice shy)
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)

apochronaut

#10 Post by apochronaut » Sun May 24, 2015 12:50 pm

Crater Eddie wrote:I liked your "Delami Nation" bit, I might have to borrow that!
Yes, my other 20x is an Achromat, the original was covered in fungus and I had to get it replaced. You might be thinking of my recently acquired 40x, which is an Apo.
I was actually quite pleased with the 20x Achromat until I looked through this 20x Apo... the good spots are very good.
The seller is apologetic and has offered a refund, so it will work out in the end. Eventually. I just hate having to try and find a replacement... a GOOD replacement.
CE
I have a box of older European 160 and 170mm objectives, mostly stuff made in Wetzlar but there are some others too. I will look and see what I have. Should I P.M. you, if I find something that looks promising?

Crater Eddie

#11 Post by Crater Eddie » Tue May 26, 2015 10:00 pm

Sure, that might be interesting. Thanks.
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)

billbillt

#12 Post by billbillt » Sun May 31, 2015 10:34 pm

I have seen these objectives from Russia, and had been poised to purchase some, but I guess I will have second thoughts now.. Sorry you had a bad experience here...

Crater Eddie

#13 Post by Crater Eddie » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:49 pm

If I am ever again tempted to buy any objectives from that part of the world, I will make very sure that the seller understands what fungus and delamination are and how to properly check for them.
I think good deals can still be had, but be persistent about checking for flaws.
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)