Zeiss standard expansion/ upgrades

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
Adam Long

Re: Zeiss standard expansion/ upgrades

#61 Post by Adam Long » Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:53 am

Thanks - I've had a look at the links and I'm following the same principle. I couldn't see anything specific to Zeiss.

With the MC63a, I set up to have the sensor on the same place the film would have been. Results were poor. It is quite a job dissembling the shutter, meter and cabling etc so might save someone the bother to know. However, Pau over on the other channel seems to have had good results:
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... =8&t=15607

A search of the forum has found another user with similar experiences with the pink/red cast in Epi. So perhaps it is unavoidable with this H-PL half mirror. I also found some references to the field and aperture diaphragms being reversed in epi, which is very useful information! However I'm still unclear how to set up kohler as the lighting is not projected through from below in the same way. Perhaps I should try a reflective surface.

One other question is whether Epi-DIC is just a case of adding the objective and prism?

Scarodactyl

#62 Post by Scarodactyl » Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:05 pm

In response to the last question, yes. Zeiss prisms like to delaminate but they produce very high quality epi dic.

Adam Long

#63 Post by Adam Long » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:25 am

Have revisited the Zeiss camera adapters with better results. The MC63a works well with the shutter leaves removed, and a fairly easy conversion. But I'm mainly using the setup on the previous page as I'm not convinced the Full-frame vs APS-C crop is the limit on resolution.

After a few weeks using both scopes I'm in two minds whether to keep building the Universal up into my main do-it-all universal scope. Have failed to source a trans nosepiece so far (and probably want the widefield version, see below).

Pros/ Cons Universal Vs the standard

Pros:
Ergonomics in use are very comfortable, superior to standard for me.
Slightly stiffer than the Standard (though not as much as I'd expected), and less top-heavy with camera rig.
Easy switch to epi and vary stage height for crystals etc.
Looks easier to add DIC with slider and condenser.
Superior illumination pathway, brighter lamp and ND filters etc.

Cons:
Big. Too big to leave setup on my current desk, where the Standard can just be pushed in a corner.
Not convinced by the decoupled coarse/ fine focus yet. Coarse is very coarse and creeps if loose, fine has only 2mm travel and needs recentering periodically
No 1.0x magnification on Optovar. This is quite a big one for me, a loss of flexibility vs the Standard Optovar with 1, 1.25x, 1.6x, 2x. This means less steps, and less potential for overlap for varying NA at same mag in DF. Widefield nosepiece is an (expensive and rare ) option, giving you 0.8x, 1x, 1.25x, but not really a solution.

Any long term users have opinions?

Charles

#64 Post by Charles » Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:41 am

A Standard WL would give you most everything on the Universal but still have the foot print of the Standard

I have a spare Universal/Photomicroscope 5 objective nose turret, if you need one.

MicroBob

#65 Post by MicroBob » Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:04 pm

Hi Adam,
after beeing vey happy with my Zeiss Jena NF with a lot of accessories I was offered a Zeiss Phomi 1, second edition. It wasn't love at first sight but now I enjoy it very much. Many advanced options are quicker and cheaper to get for the big stands.
If I had to decide between Phomi and a Standard this would be my questions to answer:
- Am I going to use epi illumination
- Am I going to use fluorescence
- Do I want an exchangeable nosepiece
- Do I want an Optovar
- Do I want a tube head with selectable opions bino, camera or split
- Am I going to move the microscope or does it have its fixed place?
- Am I interested in exchangeable tables (rotating for DIC)
- Which microscope do I have and which of the more expensive / rare accessories do I already have
- Do I prefer light and compact or something a bit more hefty
- Do I like simple or prefer as many adjustments and options as possible
- How much time and money do I have to invest to get what i want

DIC old/new 160mm setup is similar and a Standard with LED will have all the illumination I need, so no discerning point.

Bob

Adam Long

#66 Post by Adam Long » Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:01 am

Charles wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:41 am
A Standard WL would give you most everything on the Universal but still have the foot print of the Standard
Yes, that's definitely an option.
I have a spare Universal/Photomicroscope 5 objective nose turret, if you need one.
Great thanks, have sent you a PM.
MicroBob wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:04 pm
Hi Adam,
after beeing vey happy with my Zeiss Jena NF with a lot of accessories I was offered a Zeiss Phomi 1, second edition. It wasn't love at first sight but now I enjoy it very much. Many advanced options are quicker and cheaper to get for the big stands.
If I had to decide between Phomi and a Standard this would be my questions to answer:
- Am I going to use epi illumination > YES
- Am I going to use fluorescence > MAYBE IN THE FUTURE
- Do I want an exchangeable nosepiece > NEEDED FOR THE EPIPLAN HDs I THINK
- Do I want an Optovar > ALREADY HAVE ON BOTH
- Do I want a tube head with selectable opions bino, camera or split > ALREADY HAVE ON BOTH
- Am I going to move the microscope or does it have its fixed place? > PROBABLY NEED TO MAKE MORE SPACE
- Am I interested in exchangeable tables (rotating for DIC) > YES
- Which microscope do I have and which of the more expensive / rare accessories do I already have > BOTH
- Do I prefer light and compact or something a bit more hefty > PROBABLY HEFTY BUT LIMITED ON SPACE
- Do I like simple or prefer as many adjustments and options as possible > GIVE ME EVERYTHING!
- How much time and money do I have to invest to get what i want > QUITE ENJOY SCOURING EBAY FOR PARTS

DIC old/new 160mm setup is similar and a Standard with LED will have all the illumination I need, so no discerning point.

Bob
Thanks Bob, that's really useful. The problem at the moment is I have both - having built up the standard with trinoc and Optovar I was looking at Epi options and ended up with a Universal setup for EPI (specced for photographing PCBs). So I'm switching between to do trans or Epi. I think the answer is probably to get the Universal setup for trans and then decide how I like it. I could keep a minimal Standard kit for travel.

MicroBob

#67 Post by MicroBob » Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:21 am

That sounds like a good solution. Nobody can really predict how you will like the big microscope. I think the tendency is that people don't see the tube head models as appealing before the get them and then enjoy them very much. A Standard RA, 14-18 is good for travel as it's focus gear is so robust. The old Standard GFL has more coarse focus travel and there is an epi set available for it. This could be a compact alternative, very beautiful, but not as robust as the later Standards. And it would take longer to get the things together.