ascorbic acid (polarised)

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
shutterbug

ascorbic acid (polarised)

#1 Post by shutterbug » Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:54 pm

DELETED
Last edited by shutterbug on Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shutterbug

Re: ascorbic acid (polarised)

#2 Post by shutterbug » Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:16 pm

DELETED
Last edited by shutterbug on Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sure Squintsalot

#3 Post by Sure Squintsalot » Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:44 am

Your crystal growing regime is infested with too many nucleation points, assuming that you are trying to grow large individual crystals and not a forest of dendrites. Your slide surface could be dusty, or scratched, or awash with small surface defects. Your growth solution could also be contaminated in fine undissolved particulates.

I'd suggest using new good quality slides and either filtering your growth solution or using high quality lab grade ascorbic acid and filtered deionized water. You're also on the right track with carefully controlling temperature and ambient moisture.

VERY nice central crystals, BTW.

shutterbug

#4 Post by shutterbug » Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:19 am

Sure Squintsalot wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:44 am
Your crystal growing regime is infested with too many nucleation points, assuming that you are trying to grow large individual crystals and not a forest of dendrites. Your slide surface could be dusty, or scratched, or awash with small surface defects. Your growth solution could also be contaminated in fine undissolved particulates.

I'd suggest using new good quality slides and either filtering your growth solution or using high quality lab grade ascorbic acid and filtered deionized water. You're also on the right track with carefully controlling temperature and ambient moisture.

VERY nice central crystals, BTW.
Ah, thank you, that's a great explanation!!

My slides definitely have small scratches and some surface defects - I didn't exact that to have such an influence over the development of crystals!
Though in that case I'm actually not mad about it, it makes for a very interesting fractal subject with lots of details and variations in texture.

The central crystal is actually one of the smallest, the biggest are at least 5x its size but aren't surrounded by such a nice "sea" of dendrites - maybe I should try those anyway! (Glad you like the little guy hehe)

ADi

#5 Post by ADi » Sat May 20, 2023 2:15 pm

very nice !

shutterbug

#6 Post by shutterbug » Sun May 21, 2023 9:22 pm

DELETED