Brunel Rocking Microtome Arrival

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
mrsonchus

Brunel Rocking Microtome Arrival

#1 Post by mrsonchus » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:29 am

Hi all, well, it's here! my Brunel Rocking Microtome arrived this am! :D
Here are a few pictures of the package contents as I opened it up.
Here is everything that came with the microtome purchase.
Here is everything that came with the microtome purchase.
complete_rocker_kit.jpg (164.27 KiB) Viewed 9920 times
All the pieces in the photo' come as a complete package.

(Theres an really good article about this microtome on this website at http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/index.h ... tome1.html

The first thing I noticed was that this model does now have the extra knife-adjusting screws formerly not on this microtome - the knife can now be set to almost any angle to suit...
knife_adjustment_screws.jpg
knife_adjustment_screws.jpg (93.13 KiB) Viewed 9920 times
One of the supplied wax-block holders fitted.
wax_block_holder_fitted.jpg
wax_block_holder_fitted.jpg (104.13 KiB) Viewed 9920 times
Up close..
brunel_rocker_1.jpg
brunel_rocker_1.jpg (99.85 KiB) Viewed 9920 times
I'll soon post some more pictures and maybe a short video-clip of the beast in action. I had a quick test-drive this evening and made a right hash of things - too ashamed to post my horrible crimpled sections :oops:

Back with more soon. :D
John B

75RR

Re: Brunel Rocking Microtome Arrival

#2 Post by 75RR » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:39 am

Congratulations. The extra knife screws are great. You must have got a new model.
You will be an expert by the time I get mine.

The link you posted is to the same article I posted at Seb28's Plant histology -first attempt

If you look at the bottom of the article you will see that it was originally in MicrobeHunter!
Last edited by 75RR on Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

mrsonchus

#3 Post by mrsonchus » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:50 am

75rr
Hi and congratulations! :D
This is all Seb28's fault! His superb results have started a rocking-microtome dash!

I'm going to practice tomorrow if I get the chance!
John B

gekko

#4 Post by gekko » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:46 pm

Congratulations! Lovely instrument (or 'beast', as you call it :) ). Waiting for the promised video!

mrsonchus

#5 Post by mrsonchus » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:35 pm

gekko wrote:Congratulations! Lovely instrument (or 'beast', as you call it :) ). Waiting for the promised video!
Thanks. It's coming soon - as soon as I produce something better that the awful mess so far! :oops:
John B

Peter

#6 Post by Peter » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:52 pm

Hi Mrsonchus,
The cutting of sections is an acquired skill. Crumpled sections may sometimes still be recovered if floated on warm water. Sections that crinkle or curl may be held flat with a fine soft brush as they are being cut. Crumpled sections may indicate a blunt knife, if the knife is sharp, then the speed of cutting can affect the shape of the sections; passing sections too quickly across the blade can crumple them. I find to make a ribbon the paraffin block must arrive at the knife quite quickly, however if the section is cut quickly it tends to crumple, so a technique I developed to cut ribbons is to move the block quickly, but lightly towards the knife which then stops the block, I then increase the pressure to move the block slowly but smoothly pass the knife and, hopefully, cut a reasonable section.
Hope this helps.
Good luck(you're going to need it).
Peter.

mrsonchus

#7 Post by mrsonchus » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:59 pm

Hi Peter - many thanks for your good advice! I've had a practice this evening and have found as you say that rhythm is a big factor. I've found that increasing the knife-angle has started giving me nearly spot-on full-block ribbons (achieved by using the bottom smaller screws to alter the angle)... I'm using 'blank' (empty) wax-blocks and so far so good - I've got the hang of attaching the wax to hardwood mounts (made several in about 15 minutes) they now stick so tight I have to cut them off - they're too firmly mounted to snap off by hand! The ribbons are starting to appear. :D
My FAA and Histoclear are on hand and ready to roll - I also bought a bottle of 'wintergreen oil' which is an alternative clearing agent for wax-infiltration ala Histoclear.. I'm nearly ready to start the 'proper' specimen preparation, fixing, dehydrating, clearing, infiltration, mounting, sectioning etc! Can't wait. :) I just need some jars and to finish my home-made incubator and I'm rolling.
Having lots of fun and learning loads! :)
Back soon with an update.
John B

75RR

#8 Post by 75RR » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:06 pm

Hi mrsonchus, could you tell me the dimensions of your Rocking Microtome (approximate will do) and confirm it weighs about 10 Kg- Thanks.

Perhaps the box dimensions will do. How was it packed?

mrsonchus

#9 Post by mrsonchus » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:15 pm

75RR wrote:Hi mrsonchus, could you tell me the dimensions of your Rocking Microtome (approximate will do) and confirm it weighs about 10 Kg- Thanks.
Oh, I sent you a pm with all the info! :oops: I must have messed it up - sorry about that.
Here they are:
Length = 14 inches
Height = 8 inches
Width = 6 inches
Weight = 9 Kg

It's extremely well made and should be perfectly OK 'in the post' on it's way to you. The only part that will wear at all is the piece of fishing-line or string that pulls the arm down during cutting - this would take about 3 minutes to renew and cost virtually nothing.

Good luck - sorry again about my earlier mess-up...

Oh yes, it was packed in the blue box in the pictures I've posted - this is one of those 'plastic-corrugated-cardboard' types about 3mm thick and perfectly adequate. Inside the microtome was 'centered' in the void using pieces of cardboard as spacers and the remaining space filled with polystyrene 'quavers' to hold the whole thing securely. This packaging worked perfectly and it arrived completely intact. It's a very robust machine indeed - I doubt if you'll encounter any postal problems with this sturdy beauty!

Good luck - you're in for a treat! :)
John B

75RR

#10 Post by 75RR » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:32 pm

Thanks mrsonchus. Are those the box dimensions? How was it packed?
It's extremely well made and should be perfectly OK 'in the post' on it's way to you.
Not coming by post. In a friend's or failing that in my bag.
Wanted to know how much of a pain it is going to be!

mrsonchus

#11 Post by mrsonchus » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:49 pm

75RR wrote:Thanks mrsonchus. Are those the box dimensions? How was it packed?
It's extremely well made and should be perfectly OK 'in the post' on it's way to you.
Not coming by post. In a friend's or failing that in my bag.
Wanted to know how much of a pain it is going to be!
Those are the actual microtome's dimensions - it would be easy to simply wrap a big old bath towel around it and carry it in a rucksack or canvas bag say. The dimensions of the box it came in are:
Box;
17 inches long
9 inches high
8 1/2 inches wide
About the size of the box a pair of boots would come in.
:)
John B

75RR

#12 Post by 75RR » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:58 pm

Those are the actual microtome's dimensions - it would be easy to simply wrap a big old bath towel around it and carry it in a rucksack or canvas bag say.
That is a good space saving idea.

Many Thanks.

mrsonchus

Re: Some pictures of practice sections

#13 Post by mrsonchus » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:11 pm

Hi all, here are a few pictures of my practice session this evening, the sections are starting to get a lot better now - factors I think are quite important to the way the sections 'turn out':
1) angle of knife to wax-block
2) speed of operation
3) rhythm of operation
4) temperature of wax block
5) dimensions of wax block
6) position of arm up the advance-screw that turns with every stroke to move the block towards the knife by desired amount
7) cleanliness of blade
8) sharpness of blade
9) amount of experience of operator - quick improvements come with a little practice

These sections are of empty wax-blocks (I haven't any specimens ready yet) for practice only - the wax blocks are at room temperature (19 deg C).

A few pictures:
Empty (practice) wax-block, 6µ section! :)
Not perfect but not bad after about 1hr total practice...
Not perfect but not bad after about 1hr total practice...
wax_cut_series.jpg (134.6 KiB) Viewed 9835 times
The wax-block on a hardwood-mount held in holder:
Attaching block-holder
Attaching block-holder
wax_block_in_holder.jpg (131.98 KiB) Viewed 9835 times
The knife at an angle that works well for 6µ:
Securely held..
Securely held..
knife_angle.jpg (129.26 KiB) Viewed 9835 times
I hope you like these - I'll get a video posted probably in a couple of days.
John B

Naphthalene

#14 Post by Naphthalene » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:42 am

Hello!
My congratulations with your new purchase, mrsonchus! It's nice to see that more people on the forum are interested in making sections at home these times :D . And it's also a good to know for me that the Brunel have corrected their rocker by adding the knife angle adjustment screws. I'm looking forward to see your sections of tissue prepared with the new equipment.

75RR

#15 Post by 75RR » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:32 am

Naphthalene wrote:Hello!
My congratulations with your new purchase, mrsonchus! It's nice to see that more people on the forum are interested in making sections at home these times :D . And it's also a good to know for me that the Brunel have corrected their rocker by adding the knife angle adjustment screws. I'm looking forward to see your sections of tissue prepared with the new equipment.
Hi Naphthalene (here hoping that you are The Stanislav Antonov), allow me to congratulate you on your article on the Rocking Microtome.
I have been unable to follow any of Massimo_T's links. Do you have any of the manuals and articles he mentions?

Crater Eddie

#16 Post by Crater Eddie » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:13 pm

Regarding temperature, the microtome in the histology lab adjacent to the hematology lab where I used to work was kept in its own temperature controlled chamber... sorry, but I don't remember for certain what the temperature was.
Last edited by Crater Eddie on Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)
Cameras: Canon T3i, Olympus E-P1 MFT, Amscope 3mp USB

mrsonchus

#17 Post by mrsonchus » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:19 pm

Naphthalene wrote:Hello!
Hi Naphthalene, many thanks.
I started my interest as I'm absolutely passionate about the identification and taxonomy of native British flora (wildflowers or 'weeds' as my Wife says :oops: ). I made a small herbarium and started to study - Stace is the definitive British flora!
I am fascinated by the structures, adaptations and comparative features of plants. This led to pollen study, which led to the desire to make permanent mounts of pollens for a collection to complement my herbarium specimens - this led me to a £15 microscope - the rest as they say, is history. Sections soon followed by hand, a better 'scope, now I have a rocking microtome and a lab in my dining-room!
I love being able to process and ultimately permanently mount my specimens - I'm having a great time! :D

If you wrote the Brunel Rocking Microtome article you have my congratulations, respect and sincere thanks for helping me a great deal with my studies - you did us all a great service! :)
John B

mrsonchus

#18 Post by mrsonchus » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:28 pm

Crater Eddie wrote:Regarding temperature, the microtome in the histology lab adjacent to the hemetology lab where I used to work was kept in its own temperature controlled chamber... sorry, but I don't remember for certain what the temperature was.
Aha - thanks for the info. It does seem that the speed of operation of the microtome (I'd suggest about 1 section per second) effects the quality - or at least the 'smoothness of flow from the knife's edge' of the sections cut. I assume that the faster (within reason of course) the stroke the warmer the section and knife faces will be when they meet.... I read the advice that slowing down for the actual cutting action is optimal and this is true (I wish I could remember where I read this as I'd like to mention a link..). I'm operating with wax-block and microtome at room temperature of about 19 deg C (anyone know how to get the proper deg symbol?) and am now getting good results between 12 and 2µ. I must get some tissue processed as I think I'm ready to move on from blank practice blocks now (fingers crossed) :D .
John B

Naphthalene

#19 Post by Naphthalene » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:30 pm

Dear 75RR and mrsonchus, thank you so much for your kind words on my paper! I'm very happy if it was useful somehow for you.

mrsonchus, I'm unable to use the PM feature because I have only recently registered my account on a new Microbehunter forum. It is great to hear there are inspired people venturing into the microworld, especially via histological approach.
75RR, I'm sorry but I do not know what are the Massimo_T's links you are referring to. I have several manuals and papers on old Cambridge Rocker, if you send me a link on these links :) may be I could help you!

As for the temperature of the paraffin blocks, I believe they should be cooled with melting ice (the ice directly from the fridge is too cold and may cause block to crack). Cooling the block decreases the compression of the sections, this is especially obvious at 4-5 micron thick sections. I always use that method, and it really helps for making thin sections.

mrsonchus

#20 Post by mrsonchus » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:39 pm

Naphthalene wrote: As for the temperature of the paraffin blocks, I believe they should be cooled with melting ice (the ice directly from the fridge is too cold and may cause block to crack). Cooling the block decreases the compression of the sections, this is especially obvious at 4-5 micron thick sections. I always use that method, and it really helps for making thin sections.
Many thanks - I'm going to give this a try right now! :)
John B

Seb28

#21 Post by Seb28 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:22 am

Congratulations on your new cutting beast :D
Could you give some information about sharpening the blade from the user manual?
To avoid continuous sharpening blade I did some DIY razor blade clamp.

It looks like thise (first prototyp without the proper tools)
1.jpg
1.jpg (136.48 KiB) Viewed 9774 times
-Reichert Polyvar
-Olympus IX70
-Zeiss Photomicroscope
-Canon 600D

mrsonchus

#22 Post by mrsonchus » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:56 am

Seb28 wrote:Congratulations on your new cutting beast :D
Could you give some information about sharpening the blade from the user manual?

1.jpg
The user manual is very small and in rather odd English but I'll scan it and make it available ASAP - it has no mention of blade-sharpening but there's a wealth of info re this online.
Back soon with a link to the UM.
John B

mrsonchus

#23 Post by mrsonchus » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:42 pm

Seb28 wrote:Congratulations on your new cutting beast :D

1.jpg
That definitely looks to be heading towards a solution.
I'm going to look into this too - you've inspired me to have a go! It would be so handy and of course labour-saving, to be able to use relatively cheap and virtually no-maintenance disposable blades.....
Great idea and really good prototype - keep us informed of your progress - I'd really like to follow your development.
Thanks for a good post. :)
John B