Jumping spider ... macro using camera and extension.

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
georgetmacro

Jumping spider ... macro using camera and extension.

#1 Post by georgetmacro » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:34 pm

Still having trouble getting acceptable results through a microscope so thought I would have a go at something strictly macro with my Nikon D300S and a SP Tamron Di90 macro lens with around 280 mm extension at f22. Stacked 20 images. See attached image.
Attachments
jumping spider at around 50X using camera, macro lens and 280 mm extension.
jumping spider at around 50X using camera, macro lens and 280 mm extension.
Spider X 50 WEB.jpg (115.16 KiB) Viewed 2955 times

billben74

Re: Jumping spider ... macro using camera and extension.

#2 Post by billben74 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:58 pm

Nice image. Perhaps a bit more light?
How are you trying to get your microscope images of of your spider?
Light may well be your problem?

I find you need quite a bit of light. Bright light that you then diffuse in some way.
Some people use a single powerful light source and diffuse with something like a cut into ping pong ball or cut of shampoo bottle.

I've never had much luck with a single light source tend to use 3,4,5 or even 6.
Some flash lights, sometimes light panels, sometimes a ring light.
I also tend to remove unused objectives as they cast shadow. I'm presently using some styrafoam packing wrapped cut and wrapped into a cylinder held with stickey tape to diffuse.
Although my reflected light rig is still evolving...

georgetmacro

#3 Post by georgetmacro » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:28 pm

With this image I used a single light-source and a ping pong ball. The light source is what is called a illuma fitting that is a tungsten halogen fitting using a dichroic reflector lamp designed to be dimmed. I did initially try with it up brighter but it seemed to wash out the detail. I could try it again today on a different subject i.e., overexpose a little then bring it back to correct exposure with software maybe. Thank you for your informative comments. The other thing I may try is instead of using the digital macro lens use my older and I believe sharper film-camera SP Tamron that outshone all of the competition in it's day according to choice magazine.
Cheers George.

zzffnn

#4 Post by zzffnn » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:19 pm

If stacking a dead subject, you would be better off using a wider aperture (usually 1-2 stops below widest aperture works best).

georgetmacro

#5 Post by georgetmacro » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:52 am

zzffnn ... I am curious to know why using 1 to 2 stops up from the widest aperture "works best" for static subjects? I would have thought that having more overlap of relatively good focus would work but then again I do not really understand how the stacking algorithms work. Is what your saying the way to go because the focus variation between images is less gradual for want of a better description? I guess then, based on your suggestion larger apertures but more images would be the way to go? What about the image size of each image ... should there be more images of lower pixel numbers or is there a rule-of-thumb optimum?

zzffnn

#6 Post by zzffnn » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:05 pm

Is your F/22 effective aperture (considering magnification) or lens aperture setting?

Most camera lenses generally perform best, when stopped down 1-2 stops at the lens, unless diffraction demands even wider aperture. Large aperture works best, when you are doing focus stacking. More retouching and better light diffusion may be needed though. Oftentimes 50-100 or more for your kind of (spider) subjects. At least that is what most macro people do.
Last edited by zzffnn on Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KurtM

#7 Post by KurtM » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:12 pm

I do a lot of macro photography and get pretty decent results even though my technical understanding is fairly tenuous. I often see advice stating that f/16 should be considered upper range, that anything higher results in loss of resolution. When I shoot through macro lenses on top of extension tubes I tend to stay between f/8 and f/14.

And don't forget post processing you images to get the most out of them.

Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas
email: ngc704(at)gmail(dot)com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/67904872@ ... 912223623/