Rush hour in my specimen jar

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
D0c

Rush hour in my specimen jar

#1 Post by D0c » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:26 pm

I took a sample of the scum that had gathered around the water line of my specimen jar and this is the outcome. It reminds me of rush hour in London :D , so many ciliates and other marine life, simply amazing stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/154534235 ... ateposted/
Leitz SM-Lux

elvis_saya

Re: Rush hour in my specimen jar

#2 Post by elvis_saya » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:14 am

Thanks for sharing the video Doc, the sheer number of creatures you have there is impressive!

I have also started a microbe aquarium, but the number of large protists (stentors/paramecia) are not high. If I may ask, what do you use to feed your culture jar, and are these populations sustained for weeks?

D0c

Re: Rush hour in my specimen jar

#3 Post by D0c » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:34 am

My specimen jar is only a large masons jar maybe 5 litres in size. I started this about 8 weeks ago with a small hay infusion and about 2 litres of pond water, I didn't boil the water and fed it with a few drops off milk.
After about 3 weeks I removed the hay and it's basically bare now with no plant life at all. I feed it with about 1ml of milk once a fortnight. I have an air pump I use about 3 times a week and i put it on for about 20 minutes.
Any good specimens I find I place inside the specimen jar I must have at least 30 species in the jar by now. They divide quick especially paramecium, frontonia, dileptus, and stentors, I bet I now have thousands of paramecium.

Hope this helps.
Leitz SM-Lux