Tiny flower & pollen i found on a hedge outside

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
LeonhardEuler

Tiny flower & pollen i found on a hedge outside

#1 Post by LeonhardEuler » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:26 am

T490A + Stacking

Tiny flower & pollen I found on a hedge outside by the entryway of my apartments. I didn't expect it to look so cool, but I had a hunch after seeing it on the stereo microscope; So I looked a bit closer with my compound microscope at the fine-structure of this part of the plant-organism. It's amazing how much beauty escapes the naked eye, it really helps to humble me in the face of nature...

Most of which went unseen for the longest time until we could purchase sophisticated optical instruments. I have only been doing this for 2 weeks and I am startled at how much there is to explore, it causes me to feel somewhat overwhelmed; But in a good way. Its a pleasant surprise because it exceeded my expectations & brings out the curious child in me :)

Greg Howald

Re: Tiny flower & pollen i found on a hedge outside

#2 Post by Greg Howald » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:30 am

Glad to see you are enjoying this experience. May your enthusiasm continue to grow. Great photo of the pollen.
Greg

Roldorf

#3 Post by Roldorf » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:17 am

You an put names to these beautiful flowers with this app. Just upload a photo and let it do its thing. Available for PC, Android, and ioS

https://identify.plantnet.org/

Unknown Brand: Optika SFX 91: Bresser Science Infinity: Canon 4000d
ImageImage

LeonhardEuler

#4 Post by LeonhardEuler » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:36 pm

Roldorf wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:17 am
You an put names to these beautiful flowers with this app. Just upload a photo and let it do its thing. Available for PC, Android, and ioS

https://identify.plantnet.org/
Nice! Using that program I found out it is from a Common Yew, which happens to be extremely poisonous... It is used as an ornamental plant but the berries can sometimes mistaken as edible and potentially lead to fatal poisoning

I told my apartments about the fact it could be potentially dangerous, but not that I necessarily want the plant removed

Its not hurting me or anyone as long as it is being respected

MicroBob

#5 Post by MicroBob » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:10 pm

Hi Leonhard,
nice presentation of the topic, from life size to microscopic.
Since the pollen image doesn't contain much valuable colour information I thought it might look nice in b/w. Only the green colour channel go make it sharper, levels, unsharp masking.
How do you like this interpretation?

Bob
Attachments
pollen.jpg
pollen.jpg (126 KiB) Viewed 2103 times

LeonhardEuler

#6 Post by LeonhardEuler » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:45 pm

MicroBob wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:10 pm
Hi Leonhard,
nice presentation of the topic, from life size to microscopic.
Since the pollen image doesn't contain much valuable colour information I thought it might look nice in b/w. Only the green colour channel go make it sharper, levels, unsharp masking.
How do you like this interpretation?

Bob
Yeah it does look better that way! I was also a little offput by my original picture’s over-brightness and slight color abberations.

I hate seeing abberations, if I get Plan Objectives that may help cut down on it right?