Acetaminophen

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
Seta

Acetaminophen

#1 Post by Seta » Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:27 am

After having some trouble with my polarizers everything seems to work OK now

This is acetaminophen (came with the filters) with Nikon CFN 40/0.70 direct projection on a BHT, stack of 5 images or so

Full size

One more same lens

Full size

And another one, I think also the CFN 40 but not 100% sure

Full size

One more with CFN 40/0.70 this time using a plastic petri dish as a retarder; which order I do not know or care, just looking for color fx at this point

Full size
Last edited by Seta on Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Greg Howald

Re: Acetaminophen

#2 Post by Greg Howald » Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:33 am

Good job!

Rossf

#3 Post by Rossf » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:28 pm

Here’s a helpful tip Seta-When trouble with polarisers becomes a real headache I always take acetaminophen-preferably without potassium cyanide like they do in Chicago ...cool pics though-I’ve never gotten much into this type of microscopy but I can feel it calling to me from the near future-I’m on a few meds and have been meaning to see how they crystallise under the scope.
Regards ross

Seta

#4 Post by Seta » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:52 pm

Rossf wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:28 pm
Here’s a helpful tip Seta-When trouble with polarisers becomes a real headache I always take acetaminophen-preferably without potassium cyanide like they do in Chicago
I will try it, Paracetamol plus cyanide seems like a wonderful cocktail thanks.. :D

The problem with prescription meds is they come with all kinds of pharmaceutical excipients, I would like to find a few subjects in pure form (vitamin C seems easy to find) , any ideas? . This is a slide that came with the filters

Rossf

#5 Post by Rossf » Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:15 pm

Probably depends on the additives-a lot of drugs are water soluble and some are only partially so-so I guess some could be diluted then filtered-that’s how opiate addicts extract codeine from meds with paracetamol-as codeine is very water solvable but paracetamol is way less so-so they dissolve the pills in just enough water then filter through a paper coffee filter-the paracetamol stays in the filter like soft cheese curds-that way they can get high without frying their livers. It’s quite easy to overdose on paracetamol in terms of liver damage-especially if one drinks alcohol frequently. I personally think it’s safety reputation is overrated-but it did win the ‘over the counter’ painkiller war! Poor aspirin....

PeteM

#6 Post by PeteM » Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:46 pm

Great images, Javier. It sounds like you bought some better polarizers?

Seta

#7 Post by Seta » Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:33 am

PeteM wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:46 pm
Great images, Javier. It sounds like you bought some better polarizers?
Thanks Pete.
Nope, they are the same I show on that thread. But placing them close to the camera makes them work better or so it seems.

I will have to see how they work with a thick subject needing a deeper stack