Oxytricha

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
sinabro

Oxytricha

#1 Post by sinabro » Wed May 05, 2021 3:08 pm

40x objective + dic
Thanks.

Bruce Taylor

Re: Oxytricha

#2 Post by Bruce Taylor » Wed May 05, 2021 4:39 pm

Another beautifully clear video. You have an impressive ability to record ciliates!

This is certainly in Oxytrichidae, but I'm not convinced it is in genus Oxytricha. We see marginal cirri, joining posteriorly, two macronuclei, ventral cirri in a typical oxytrichid pattern. We don't see the full undulating membrane arrangement (just the bottom), and we don't see any sign of caudal cirri. Oxytricha species should have caudal cirri, though they can be inconspicuous and, in this case, might be below the focal plane. Overall, the cell looks a lot like Histriculus (=Histrio sensu Kahl), which usually has very well developed transverse cirri, arranged like these (thick, and sort of tapering to a point). However, Histriculus transverse cirri should not extend beyond the posterior of the cell, which these do (though very slightly). There are species of Sterkiella (e.g. Sterkiella histriomuscorum) which look similar, but these should have caudal cirri (though, as with Oxytricha, they might be inconspicuous or below the focal plane). I suspect this is Histriculus, but, given the uncertainty about the caudal cirri, Oxytricha and Sterkiella are also possible, so I wouldn't identify this guy below family.

LouiseScot

#3 Post by LouiseScot » Wed May 05, 2021 11:12 pm

Lovely video - love the clarity and detail!

Louise
A Nikon CF plan 20x; A Swift 380T; A DIY infinity corrected focus rail system with a 40x/0.65 Olympus Plan, a 10x/0.30 Amscope Plan Fluor, and a 20x/0.75 Nikon Plan Apo

Jimbo

#4 Post by Jimbo » Thu May 06, 2021 8:16 pm

Looks awesome on a wide screen TV! Thanks.

sinabro

#5 Post by sinabro » Sun May 09, 2021 4:30 am

Bruce Taylor wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 4:39 pm
Another beautifully clear video. You have an impressive ability to record ciliates!

This is certainly in Oxytrichidae, but I'm not convinced it is in genus Oxytricha. We see marginal cirri, joining posteriorly, two macronuclei, ventral cirri in a typical oxytrichid pattern. We don't see the full undulating membrane arrangement (just the bottom), and we don't see any sign of caudal cirri. Oxytricha species should have caudal cirri, though they can be inconspicuous and, in this case, might be below the focal plane. Overall, the cell looks a lot like Histriculus (=Histrio sensu Kahl), which usually has very well developed transverse cirri, arranged like these (thick, and sort of tapering to a point). However, Histriculus transverse cirri should not extend beyond the posterior of the cell, which these do (though very slightly). There are species of Sterkiella (e.g. Sterkiella histriomuscorum) which look similar, but these should have caudal cirri (though, as with Oxytricha, they might be inconspicuous or below the focal plane). I suspect this is Histriculus, but, given the uncertainty about the caudal cirri, Oxytricha and Sterkiella are also possible, so I wouldn't identify this guy below family.
I learn a lot from you. Thanks Bruce.

Thanks Louise, Jimbo.

RobBerdan

#6 Post by RobBerdan » Fri May 14, 2021 9:41 pm

Beautiful movie of the ciliate with DIC
RB