Micrasterias

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
lagoonatic

Micrasterias

#1 Post by lagoonatic » Thu May 27, 2021 10:29 pm

looking in the canal today
micrasterias.jpg
micrasterias.jpg (162.69 KiB) Viewed 1648 times
Amscope T660 / MU503

Rossf

Re: Micrasterias

#2 Post by Rossf » Fri May 28, 2021 8:19 am

Haven’t seen these in real life yet lagoonatic -any microbe that is mirrored like that is so visually interesting-do these move around or just rely on water movements?
Regards ross

MicroBob

#3 Post by MicroBob » Fri May 28, 2021 9:06 am

Hi,
this looks like the outer skin of a dead one to me. In my area demids are less common than they were some decades ago, but in certain places a nie varyity can be found.
We have a desmid photo collection online, for comparison or just to have a look at other species: https://nwv-hamburg.de/sammlung-algen-m ... midiaceen/

Bob

lagoonatic

#4 Post by lagoonatic » Fri May 28, 2021 1:52 pm

Rossf wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 8:19 am
Haven’t seen these in real life yet lagoonatic -any microbe that is mirrored like that is so visually interesting-do these move around or just rely on water movements?
Regards ross
Hi Ross - They can move slowly gliding - this one, as Bob pointed out, appears dead. Actually not surprising as the water quality in that drainage canal isn't exactly stellar and most desmids prefer clean water. I was looking for various cyanobacteria (there was tons of Anabaena) when this guy just jumped out - HUGE next to the cyanos and, as you said, visually interesting.

lagoonatic

#5 Post by lagoonatic » Fri May 28, 2021 2:00 pm

MicroBob wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 9:06 am
Hi,
this looks like the outer skin of a dead one to me. In my area demids are less common than they were some decades ago, but in certain places a nie varyity can be found.
We have a desmid photo collection online, for comparison or just to have a look at other species: https://nwv-hamburg.de/sammlung-algen-m ... midiaceen/

Bob
Hi Bob - I have been looking through that photo collection - it is fantastic.
I think you are right about this one being dead - desmids are uncommon in residential drainage canals here - about the only ones I expect are Closterium, and these days even they are far and few between because of runoff combined with current drought conditions causing fairly unfavorable water chemistry.