Hand drawings and sketches

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
microcosmos

Hand drawings and sketches

#1 Post by microcosmos » Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:49 pm

I thought it might be nice to have a thread for showing any hand drawings or sketches of things we observe under the microscope, although people probably rarely do this nowadays given the efficiency of digital imaging.

To start it off, here's one I made in high school in the 1990s:

Transverse section of phloem of Cucurbita stem.

I'm sure there are much better and more interesting drawings than this, as I wasn't good at drawing and this specimen wasn't that spectacular.

For those interested in geology, here's a nice collection of hand drawings of petrographic thin sections.

Javier

Re: Hand drawings and sketches

#2 Post by Javier » Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:35 pm

Love it!

DonSchaeffer

#3 Post by DonSchaeffer » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:03 am

This is lovely. I will never forget how our biology teacher used to demand that we stipple, not shade.

apochronaut

#4 Post by apochronaut » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:52 pm

Drawing at the microscope is almost a lost art. Up until the 40's it was the primary method of recording morphology. Many of us still refer to older drawings in order to i.d. species.
Really accurate drawings were usually accomplished by way of a microscope accessory called a drawing tube or drawing apparatus, that projects the microscope image onto a piece of drawing paper situated on the preferred side of the microscope. The image can then be traced quite accurately.

microcosmos

#5 Post by microcosmos » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:06 pm

I suddenly thought of Illustrator’s live trace function. You “project” the photomicrograph into Illustrator and it accurately “draws” the image. It’s hilarious how things have changed nowadays. You just press buttons.

Javier

#6 Post by Javier » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:04 pm

apochronaut wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:52 pm
Drawing at the microscope is almost a lost art. Up until the 40's it was the primary method of recording morphology. Many of us still refer to older drawings in order to i.d. species.
Really accurate drawings were usually accomplished by way of a microscope accessory called a drawing tube or drawing apparatus, that projects the microscope image onto a piece of drawing paper situated on the preferred side of the microscope. The image can then be traced quite accurately.
Interesting technique. Is the device on the image a drawing tube? It is being sold on the local market, but the owner doesn't know what it is to give an accurate description. And if it is, do you know if can it be adapted to any scope?

I might give drawing a go instead of imaging.

This joke describes my quite well:

"Excuse me, sir, is this the Nostalgia Club"?
"Yes, but it ain't what it used to be!"

drawing.jpg
drawing.jpg (17.64 KiB) Viewed 2120 times

apochronaut

#7 Post by apochronaut » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:31 pm

I can't see enough of it well enough to tell. Usually it comprises a right angle image splitter and an adjustable mirror that projects the horizontal part of the image down on to the drawing paper. Most I have seen work by attaching to an eyepiece tube, so would be universal unless the eyepiece tube was large or encumbered with other devices. Some of the modern ones replace the head, so there is no further viewing through eyepieces.
Here is Lomo instruction booklet for a simple one.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/255158665357?h ... Swgn5hVuxE
Last edited by apochronaut on Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Javier

#8 Post by Javier » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:37 pm

Thanks.

I think it is indeed a Zeichenokular.
Attachments
Zeichen 2.jpg
Zeichen 2.jpg (23.44 KiB) Viewed 2113 times
Zeichen 1.jpg
Zeichen 1.jpg (21.83 KiB) Viewed 2113 times

Javier

#9 Post by Javier » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:39 pm

Do you know what is the function of those filters?

apochronaut

#10 Post by apochronaut » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:26 pm

Also called ; Camera Lucida Usually , the illumination has to be pretty high in order to get a bright enough projected image. Do those filters slide into the eyepiece as neutral density filters to cut the eyepiece brightness?

Javier

#11 Post by Javier » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:39 pm

I guess projection on a semi dark room would work great. I' ll think about it! Those filters seem ND indeed. Thanks.