Long tailed nematode

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
Rossf

Long tailed nematode

#1 Post by Rossf » Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:58 am

Calling BramHuntingNematodes
I was brewing compost tea and found this nematode with the longest tail I’ve ever seen-video link below-you’ve probably seen longer-it seemed to be the type with the boxy shaped mouth with “fangs”-excuse my very basic descriptions-do you know much about Polyphenism in nematodes? I heard they can do this in different environments (ie soil vs compost tea etc) and does this make identification difficult or are the phenotype differences subtle? I do find with an inverted scope they are very amusing to watch as they peck at the glass with gusto like a chicken eating popcorn …
Regards ross

https://vimeo.com/635974370/42d3114458

dtsh

Re: Long tailed nematode

#2 Post by dtsh » Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:37 pm

I'm not even a poor substitute for BramHuntingNematodes, but I'm pretty sure that's a whipworm. It will be interesting to hear more.

Rossf

#3 Post by Rossf » Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:40 pm

dtsh you could be right-I’ve noticed these eggs in the compost brew-photo below-not a lot but I thought they may have been a fungal spore or even a diatom that has brown chlorophyll-I really need to read more about species rather than just look at them-dyslexia makes it hard to read for long though.maybe should look for video content on main parasitic nematodes-
Regards ross
Attachments
D8B314E8-4C23-4F28-94BE-54C052B0FAE7.jpeg
D8B314E8-4C23-4F28-94BE-54C052B0FAE7.jpeg (32.1 KiB) Viewed 1760 times

dtsh

#4 Post by dtsh » Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:40 pm

That looks like a whipworm egg to me as well, not that I'm any sort of expert on the matter.

BramHuntingNematodes

#5 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:04 pm

It could well be a whipworm-- I am not well acquainted with animal parasitic nematodes. It is a good video but the debris obstructing the head makes it more difficult. Certainly many dorylaimida have filiform tails but I have never seen one this long.

I would not be able to tell which animal hosts this worm (the egg suggests dog?), but always a good reminder that our samples are sometimes dangerous.
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

dtsh

#6 Post by dtsh » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:41 pm

The bulk of my knowledge of nematodes comes from reading Parasitology for Veterinarians, so I am almost entirely ignorant of anything not covered there and my understanding of what *is* covered is not to be trusted as I am not a veterinarian and have not studied the subject in depth. I was looking to see if I could venture a guess (for my own amusement) based on the video of the worm and the image of the egg until I realized the egg image was from wikipedia and may be entirely unrelated. Have any images from the eggs in your sample?

Any intentional composting of manure? We compost manure from livestock here, but if you don't I would venture a guess that it's probably from a rodent. If you do have domestic animals and a penchant for excuses to use your microscope, I have found FEC (Fecal Egg Count) testing to be interesting.

Rossf

#7 Post by Rossf » Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:00 am

Yes dtsh the egg photo was from wiki!-I wasn’t trying to suggest they are related just that I have seen them before but didn’t realise they were eggs-I make high thermal compost (let it get to 65 degrees before turning to kill pathogens and seeds-it’s mostly very motile bacteria/fungal hyphae at work when hot with a couple of semi extremaphile ciliates munching away-most microbes just ball up into cysts during the initial warm up-when compost is settling to ambient temps leave for a month and the larger microbes proliferate-
Regards ross

Javier

#8 Post by Javier » Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:20 pm

Very interesting finding, Ross, and nice video!