Stentor tries to stretch out

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
Harold

Stentor tries to stretch out

#1 Post by Harold » Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:30 pm

but something disturbs it

https://youtu.be/aAjIceWRSYg

Javier

Re: Stentor tries to stretch out

#2 Post by Javier » Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:25 pm

Beautiful!

I have been wanting to find a Stentor for a long time now... :(

Francisco

#3 Post by Francisco » Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:04 pm

Very nice

Harold

#4 Post by Harold » Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:45 pm

Javier wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:25 pm
Beautiful!

Thanks very much! This is the first time any of my "dipping" expeditions has netted so many critters, including this Stentor. It took the sample about 10 days to really "bloom". At first it was just a lot of very small ciliates and flagellates. I added a few wheat kernels and just let it be for a week. First the rotifers showed up and then some nice Amoebae. The Stentors didn't make an appearance until early this week. The last time I saw a Stentor in person was in a sample I pulled from a creek that run through Argon Nat'l Labs outside Chicago. That was almost 30 years ago. So I was beyond thrilled to see them in this sample.

Javier

#5 Post by Javier » Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:39 am

Harold wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:45 pm
Javier wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:25 pm
Beautiful!

Thanks very much! This is the first time any of my "dipping" expeditions has netted so many critters, including this Stentor. It took the sample about 10 days to really "bloom". At first it was just a lot of very small ciliates and flagellates. I added a few wheat kernels and just let it be for a week. First the rotifers showed up and then some nice Amoebae. The Stentors didn't make an appearance until early this week. The last time I saw a Stentor in person was in a sample I pulled from a creek that run through Argon Nat'l Labs outside Chicago. That was almost 30 years ago. So I was beyond thrilled to see them in this sample.
Thank you for this information. I don't entirely understand how Stentors suddenly appear on a sample that you already have... How does this work?

Harold

#6 Post by Harold » Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:36 pm

[quote=Javier post_id=112785 time=1635676781 user_id=813
Thank you for this information. I don't entirely understand how Stentors suddenly appear on a sample that you already have... How does this work?
[/quote]

Not so sure it's a matter of them suddenly appearing as it is a matter of their numbers increasing to a point that I can find them easily. That's why I'm in the habit of adding a few grains of rice or wheat to any new sample. It adds a little nutrient that jump starts the food chain and allows populations of some organisms to flourish. Some samples turn out to be complete duds and others produce fairly rich communities of protists.

Javier

#7 Post by Javier » Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:32 pm

I see, I'll try to do that. Thank you, Harold!