bacteria in the mouth

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
sinabro

bacteria in the mouth

#1 Post by sinabro » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:50 pm

Image2.jpg
Image2.jpg (31.88 KiB) Viewed 1587 times
I know, some oral bacteria have flagella that can be observed with an optical microscope.
I don't know the exact id about this bacteria and what kind of dental disease this bacteria causes.
Of course, it could be bacteria that are not harmful to the human body at all.
I don't have any dental problems.

If you cas use darkfield or phase or dic on your microscope with 100x objective,
You can try it.
I'm not good at English.
Sorry.
Thanks.

apochronaut

Re: bacteria in the mouth

#2 Post by apochronaut » Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:41 pm

There are well over 500 species of organisms endemic to the human oral cavity. Usually, only when they show heavy colonization of cells or surfaces from a specific area, are they a problem. A random even occurence of organisms, not so much.
A general swab is not very valuable except to see what is there, because the sites collected from become homogenized.
Swabs need to be taken precisely from suspected problem areas, if one is looking for something, that's why swabs seldom uncover much of anything except maybe an obvious case of thrush. Swabbing done with the purpose of diágnosing are more often than not done erratically, mixing epithelium cells from all over with saliva, rendering the sample almost useless to return a diagnosis of any kind of infection.
There are a lot of oral viruses complicating the issue and something worse. Postherpetic Neuralgia. An often lifelong irritating condition following shingles of the mouth, which is difficult enough to diagnose on it's own.

charlie g

#3 Post by charlie g » Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:05 pm

Terrific view of prokaryote flagellum. Thanks for sharing this image, sinabro. You can encounter huge bacteria in freshwaters . So if you want to avoid sampling your mouth with sticks...try huge freshwater bacteria.

Your image is great !

smollerthings

#4 Post by smollerthings » Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:10 pm

Nice image. Talking about tiny things, has anyone observed a mega virus under the microscope?

sinabro

#5 Post by sinabro » Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:42 pm

charlie g wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:05 pm
Terrific view of prokaryote flagellum. Thanks for sharing this image, sinabro. You can encounter huge bacteria in freshwaters . So if you want to avoid sampling your mouth with sticks...try huge freshwater bacteria.

Your image is great !
Except for the two types of flagellated bacteria that are easily observed in pond water,
I've never seen bacterial flagellation that can be observed with an optical microscope.
It's very interesting for me to see bacterial flagellation.
Thanks, charlie.
Thanks, apochronaut, smollerthings.

EYE C U

#6 Post by EYE C U » Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:34 pm

is that a sperm?