First attempts with Phase Contrast--Bursaria

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
Harold

First attempts with Phase Contrast--Bursaria

#1 Post by Harold » Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:11 pm

I'm still just getting started with Phase Contrast. Got a Phase objective 20x, the Olympus phase contrast condenser (which was in dire need of an overhaul), but not the IF550 filter supposed needed. With the pc telescope eyepiece, getting the annuli lined up was easy. I just got a sample of Bursaria t., so they were my first subject. After a bit of fooling about, I came up with this.

https://i.imgur.com/vXHWqTf.jpg

Hobbyst46

Re: First attempts with Phase Contrast--Bursaria

#2 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:13 pm

Very nice image.
BTW, an interference filter is not a must for phase contrast. Simple absorption green filters have been popular and function OK.

Harold

Re: First attempts with Phase Contrast--Bursaria

#3 Post by Harold » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:12 pm

Hobbyst46 wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:13 pm
BTW, an interference filter is not a must for phase contrast. Simple absorption green filters have been popular and function OK.
Thanks for the complement.

One thing I've noticed in my early efforts with phase contrast is that I get the best images if I can coax my subjects out into more or less "clear" backgrounds with fewer small feeder organisms and less decaying vegetable matter cluttering up the frame. I doubt the interference filter will do much to clean up the artifacts they generate, but I was able to locate a 45mm IF550 filter for a reasonable price. So I'll give it a try.

Also on my shopping list is a good 10x phase contrast objective for big critters like Bursaria and Stentor. At 200x, the larger protists fill the frame and are difficult to track.