Shellfish?

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
microplan

Shellfish?

#1 Post by microplan » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:59 pm

Hello

Yesterday I looked at my oldest kennel and I have several of them.
I thought she was already dead, but to my surprise I found something interesting.
Much of my film is chasing this unruly unknown object.
When he settled down, he posed relatively calmly for me for a long time.
As I said, I thought the breeding was dead, but by the end of the video I noticed that the sample was swarming with microorganisms that were on the verge of perception.

https://youtu.be/jXw3JrRTqvk

Greetings

imkap

Re: Shellfish?

#2 Post by imkap » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:34 pm

Looks like a small crustacean or copepod.
How do you collect them?

My son has made a plankton net out of some stretch pants and sewage pipes and it works quite good. :D

eward1897

#3 Post by eward1897 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:39 am

Old water samples can still be very interesting. Your main subject that you chase throughout the film is a nauplius, the larva of a copepod crustacean. So yes a shellfish of sorts.

At around 1:45 below the nauplius you see a stream of hundreds or thousands of bacteria. They somehow smell each other and swim close to each other sometimes. Bacteria multiply when other things die, so old samples can be full of them.

Live unstained bacteria are hard to see without special lighting such as phase contrast. You succeed well just before and after 9:45 in your film. I assume you used some combination of oblique lighting and closing the iris diaphram to boost contrast. Zillions of bacteria are the real rulers of planet earth. They were around for 2 to 3 billion years before the first simple marine animals. There are more bacteria in your gut than all of your own cells in your body (bacterial cells are each so much tinier that your cells still are almost 99% of you by weight).

Good work with the video.

microplan

#4 Post by microplan » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:04 am

Hello.

Imkapi and eward1897 thank you very much for your time and interest in my clip.

Imkapi - I do not collect my specimens now because I do not have access to any water reservoir.
It's winter here where I live (Poland).
All my samples come from various artificial biological environments which I set up in 6 large containers.
You wrote that your son has a nice idea for catching plankton.
Show it in the photo, and maybe it will be useful during spring fishing.

Eward1897 - thanks for drawing my attention to details that I didn't notice while shooting this clip.
Sure enough, in the background it is boiling with bacteria.
And as you wrote in the bright box, they are completely invisible.
In my microscope, above the light port in the base, I have a movable slider with which I limit the amount of light and obtain the effect of oblique lighting.
Besides, I change the height of the condenser and of course I adjust the iris in the condenser.
The results vary. Sometimes better and sometimes worse. As seen in the video.

Greetings