urostyla Self-detonation (polarization and dark field)

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
woyjwjl

urostyla Self-detonation (polarization and dark field)

#1 Post by woyjwjl » Mon May 02, 2022 5:49 pm

Last edited by woyjwjl on Tue May 03, 2022 3:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Micrographers from China, thanks to the forum for providing a platform for exchange

Bruce Taylor

Re: urostyla Self-detonation (polarization and dark field)

#2 Post by Bruce Taylor » Mon May 02, 2022 6:36 pm

Nice film! Very atmospheric. :)

The hypotrich ciliates you're calling Urostyla are not in that genus. The first one appears to be Tachysoma pellionellum. I can't identify the chubbier one that appears later (darkfield makes ciliate identification more difficult), however it is probably in the family Oxytrichidae.
Last edited by Bruce Taylor on Tue May 03, 2022 3:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

woyjwjl

#3 Post by woyjwjl » Tue May 03, 2022 4:28 am

Thank you for the praise :P

I only found this at NCBI
1.png
1.png (57.52 KiB) Viewed 1244 times
Where can I find the corresponding images?
Micrographers from China, thanks to the forum for providing a platform for exchange

Bruce Taylor

#4 Post by Bruce Taylor » Tue May 03, 2022 1:25 pm

Hypotrich ciliates can be difficult to identify, but the common species Tachysoma pellionellum is easier than most, because of its distinctive size and shape (the cell is <100 μm, narrow, often with a distinct lateral bulge in the vicinity of the contractile vacuole, at mid-body), combined with its very long, trailing transverse cirri (usually splayed out and rather stiff). It resembles another common ciliate, Holosticha pullaster, but the latter has its contractile vacuole in the posterior third of the cell (a very unusual position for hypotrichs). T. pellionellum also has long dorsal cilia, which extend around the margin of the cell, as a series of regularly-spaced fine bristles. See pp. 433 ff., here: https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... ypotrichia A search in Google Images should turn up some images and videos (but most have not been identified by experts, so be wary). You can also find images of the critter on iNaturalist: https://www.inaturalist.org/home. Older sources may use the name Oxytricha pellionella, and it also sometimes appears under the name Tachysoma pellionella.

The ciliate we see at 2:54 in your video has trailing transverse cirri, and CV is at mid-body (with a distinct swelling in that region). We don't see dorsal cilia (darkfield looks pretty, but not very good for ciliate identification!), but I am pretty sure the critter in that part of the video is T. pellionellum. The one that appears at 6:25 looks quite different, and I can't say much about it, except that it is probably an oxytrichid, and not a urostyloid.

woyjwjl

#5 Post by woyjwjl » Wed May 04, 2022 7:03 am

To be honest, these are a bit difficult for a civil engineer

I took the video again yesterday, help me see if this is urostyla?
QQ截图20220504145833.png
QQ截图20220504145833.png (398 KiB) Viewed 1171 times
Then, my phase difference kit will be available next week, maybe improving the shooting is what I like ....

Bruce Taylor

#6 Post by Bruce Taylor » Wed May 04, 2022 11:35 am

That one is in the Stylonychia mytilus species complex (the cell shape and long caudal cirri are very distinctive). It is also in the family Oxytrichidae.

Phase can resolve certain ciliate features, but good old bright field is often better. DIC is best, of course.

There are many thousands of ciliate species, so yes....identification can be difficult. Don't be discouraged, though. It does get easier, with time. :)

woyjwjl

#7 Post by woyjwjl » Wed May 04, 2022 5:38 pm

Thanks for the encouragement, maybe this new hobby of mine will last after I turn 50 :P