Cannabis thrichomes

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
EVILsteve

Cannabis thrichomes

#1 Post by EVILsteve » Tue May 03, 2022 2:46 am

My first attempt at photomicrography, stack of 420 images.
This is a cannabis leaf removed during flowering showing both glandular and non-glandular trichomes.

Taken with:
Nikon Optiphot through the eyepiece
Nikon 10x non plan objective
Sony A6500 camera

I was trying to get this done for April 20th but for some reason I got sidetracked and felt compelled to make a pizza. ;)
Attachments
Cannabis leaf resized.jpg
Cannabis leaf resized.jpg (72.81 KiB) Viewed 945 times

dtsh

Re: Cannabis thrichomes

#2 Post by dtsh » Tue May 03, 2022 3:40 am

Very nice! Looks like some strange alien landscape to wander around in. 420 images in the stack, that's pretty impressive, manually?

EVILsteve

#3 Post by EVILsteve » Tue May 03, 2022 5:41 am

Thank you.

This was manually done. I used a 20w led for continuous illumination and a USB foot pedal for the trigger so its pretty speedy without having to wait for a flash to charge.

It was little over 500 images in this run but I used 425 for the stack to be exact. It could be done with less but I had heat issues doing it in bright field and pushing that much light through the thick leaf section. This made the leaf curl drastically and Zerene stacker was having troubles with these shifts. Batch stacking with major overlap and a huge stack gave the best results over a short run with less shifting. The round glandular trichomes are mostly crystal clear its reflections of the cells on the leaf that give these trichomes the texture you see in them. I liked the look so it was worth some effort in post to make it work with this technique.

Rossf

#4 Post by Rossf » Wed May 04, 2022 10:59 pm

EVILsteve really nice photo-I use a loupe so haven’t seen them so clearly before-are some of them getting that amber colour? If so prepare for couch lock-good for sleep problems when harvested later though…