First Lacrymaria!

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
Javier

First Lacrymaria!

#1 Post by Javier » Sat Jun 04, 2022 3:34 am

I have been wanting to find a Lacrymaria Olor for a long time. On a very busy slide, I found not one but two. I believe one of them was on an early cell division stage.

I cannot say I'm happy with the quality of the videos, but it is a nice way to share the find, anyway. The final video shows the head at 400x spinning like a drill, quite impressive sight.

Hope you like it,
Javier.

Last edited by Javier on Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Greg Howald

Re: First Lacrymaria!

#2 Post by Greg Howald » Sat Jun 04, 2022 3:40 am

That's really good. Congratulations. You don't see that every day. Make several copies of that so it will be preserved . Bravo. Greg

SWmicro

#3 Post by SWmicro » Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:48 am

That is an amazing creature ! thanks for showing, now I need to find one :)

Wes

#4 Post by Wes » Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:21 pm

Very nice finding Javier. Can you tell me more about its habitat, what kind of pond was it, did you scrape any pond scum, slime, decaying plant matter or similar? Did you take the sample from a shady place or a sunlit area? I have never seen Lacrymaria in the wild.
Javier wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 3:34 am
I cannot say I'm happy with the quality of the videos
Why? I like it, the darkfield and brightfield in the end are great, the oblique also looks fine and I wouldn't worry about the yellow fringing.

Best regards,
Wes
Zeiss Photomicroscope III BF/DF/Pol/Ph/DIC/FL/Jamin-Lebedeff
Youtube channel

tlansing

#6 Post by tlansing » Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:48 pm

Javier, the quality of your video is just fine! Those little guys are tough to photo/videograph! Nice job

Javier

#7 Post by Javier » Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:57 am

Thanks to everyone for the feedback!

Regarding the image quality, I'm usually not satisfied with my oblique illumination technique. I find the image soft and lacking of details. Maybe I should try more filter shapes to improve it. I think I could have done better on Dark Field, but as Tlansing pointed out, it is not an easy specimen to record.
Wes wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:21 pm
Very nice finding Javier. Can you tell me more about its habitat, what kind of pond was it, did you scrape any pond scum, slime, decaying plant matter or similar? Did you take the sample from a shady place or a sunlit area? I have never seen Lacrymaria in the wild.
Thank you, Wes. You might recall a past thread where I commented about a "Magic Puddle" where I take all my samples. It's a small puddle that occasionally forms on a lawn of an Island when a nearby river floods it. This particular sample was from that puddle, but I think this time it was mainly rain and not river water. I did take some decaying organic material such as leaves, but I did not take moss or lichen. I think that the birds who visit the puddle have to play a big role on which specimens develop each time the puddle forms, the diversity of microorganisms I have found over one year is truly impressive.

I have to mention that the sample looked so clean when I took it a week ago, that I added a grain of cooked rice to it and left it for 4 o 5 days. Yesterday I made the first slide and it was crazy: Dileptus, Gastrotrichs, Paramecia, Hypotrichs, Ophryroglenas, and these very interesting Lacrymarias.

Microscopy_is_fun

#8 Post by Microscopy_is_fun » Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:02 am

Hi Javier,

very cool video, I like especially the parts with oblique illumination.

I was just misisng your amazing self-composed music, which you had in some of your other videos.

Javier

#9 Post by Javier » Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:24 pm

Microscopy_is_fun wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:02 am
Hi Javier,

very cool video, I like especially the parts with oblique illumination.

I was just misisng your amazing self-composed music, which you had in some of your other videos.
Thank you! I'm always delayed with the music. Also, I suspect I will find more Lacrymarias on this sample, so the final video might be different.

I just finished this two:

Microscopy_is_fun

#10 Post by Microscopy_is_fun » Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:04 pm

Great, your music gives each of those little critetrs a distinct personality!

Javier

#11 Post by Javier » Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:33 am

Microscopy_is_fun wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:04 pm
Great, your music gives each of those little critetrs a distinct personality!
That is cool. Thanks!