Butterfly named Euplagia quadripunctaria - "Ecaille chinée" in French

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
fdupre

Butterfly named Euplagia quadripunctaria - "Ecaille chinée" in French

#1 Post by fdupre » Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:32 pm

Hello friends,

I hope that you all are ok :)

I share with you macro photos of a butterfly called "Chiné Tortoise" taken with my 5Dmk2 and the Sigma 105 mm lens, all lit with a ring LED lamp and 2 other independent LEDs:
prise de vue papillonMH.jpg
prise de vue papillonMH.jpg (123.73 KiB) Viewed 2279 times
Seen from the front:
Image stacked from 24 images in Helicon Focus with method C and 1 smoothing.
papillon_faceMH.jpg (100.75 KiB) Viewed 2279 times
Seen from 3/4 left:
Image stacked from 43 images in Helicon Focus with method B and 1 smoothing and 8 radius.
Image stacked from 43 images in Helicon Focus with method B and 1 smoothing and 8 radius.
papillon_trois_quartMH.jpg (129.46 KiB) Viewed 2279 times
Side view:
Image stacked from 46 images in Helicon Focus with method B and 1 smoothing and 4 radius.
Image stacked from 46 images in Helicon Focus with method B and 1 smoothing and 4 radius.
papillon-coteMH.jpg (123.18 KiB) Viewed 2279 times
Seen from above:
papillon_dessusMH.jpg (224.22 KiB) Viewed 2279 times
Sincerely,
Frank
Equipment : binocular magnifier Bresser Biorit ICD x20 x40 / Microscope "Bresser" science infinity / Home macro bench
YouTube channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTbdg7 ... J_VpBU54YQ
first name : Franck

fdupre

Re: Butterfly named Euplagia quadripunctaria - "Ecaille chinée" in French

#2 Post by fdupre » Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:31 am

Hi there,

Here are the first 3 photos of the previous post more cropped towards the butterfly's head area:
papillon_face_cropMH.jpg
papillon_face_cropMH.jpg (210.82 KiB) Viewed 2235 times
papillon_trois_quart_cropMH.jpg
papillon_trois_quart_cropMH.jpg (171.75 KiB) Viewed 2235 times
papillon-cote-cropMH.jpg
papillon-cote-cropMH.jpg (210.27 KiB) Viewed 2235 times
Sincerely,
Frank
Equipment : binocular magnifier Bresser Biorit ICD x20 x40 / Microscope "Bresser" science infinity / Home macro bench

imkap

#3 Post by imkap » Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:33 am

Nice images, what is the spiral thing where the mouth should be? Mouth?

LouiseScot

#4 Post by LouiseScot » Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:19 pm

imkap wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:33 am
Nice images, what is the spiral thing where the mouth should be? Mouth?
It's called a proboscis :)

Louise
A Nikon CF plan 20x; A Swift 380T; A DIY infinity corrected focus rail system with a 40x/0.65 Olympus Plan, a 10x/0.30 Amscope Plan Fluor, and a 20x/0.75 Nikon Plan Apo

imkap

#5 Post by imkap » Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:07 pm

Thanks

fdupre

#6 Post by fdupre » Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:35 am

Hello friends,

I share with you the same butterfly named "Chiné Scale" as my previous post but taken under the microscope with the 4x and 10x objectives:
4x
4x
papillon_face_micro4xMH.jpg (143.94 KiB) Viewed 2144 times
10x
10x
papillon_face_micro10xMH.jpg (203.43 KiB) Viewed 2144 times
Friendships,
Franck

fdupre

#7 Post by fdupre » Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:13 am

Hello,
I share with you photos taken under a microscope of the fore and hind wings of the "Ecaille chinée" butterfly:
anterior
anterior
papillon_aile_dessus10xM2_MH.jpg (193.16 KiB) Viewed 2093 times
posterior
posterior
papillon_aile_dessous10xM2_MH.jpg (204.66 KiB) Viewed 2093 times
We can observe that the wings are covered with kinds of colored scales, hence the name of the butterfly.
A link in French concerning this butterfly: https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euplagia_quadripunctaria
A link in English concerning its English neighbor: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euplagia_quadripunctaria

friendships
Frank

Chas

#8 Post by Chas » Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:00 pm

Frank, these are all nice to see !
That LED ring light seems to give a good light ...is it easy to use???
I guess that your wing scale photos are taken with an x20 & using transmitted light (?); I have always tried to take pics of wing scales with reflected light, but I think that your photos look very special ...so I will try transmitted light too !
:-)

fdupre

#9 Post by fdupre » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:37 am

Chas wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:00 pm
Frank, these are all nice to see !
That LED ring light seems to give a good light ...is it easy to use???
I guess that your wing scale photos are taken with an x20 & using transmitted light (?); I have always tried to take pics of wing scales with reflected light, but I think that your photos look very special ...so I will try transmitted light too !
Hello Chas and thank you for your feeback,

The ring light is very easy to use. This one works with 4 batteries or on 5 volts but the lamp is not supplied with the adapter for the bracnhée on a USB port for example. The light intensity is very flargely sufficient for photography in studio mode, on the other hand in outdoor macro photography, I think it is better to have a flash.

Yes, the wings photographed under the microscope are in transmitted light. The lens used is a 10x but there is a special mounting of the camera on the trino head which multiplies by about 4.5 times the magnification without Barlow:
confi_microscope_APN02_fullANG.jpg
confi_microscope_APN02_fullANG.jpg (103.99 KiB) Viewed 1934 times
Sincerely,
FRanck

Chas

#10 Post by Chas » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:53 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Brilliant !

Have you come across any problems when using the barlow lens??

fdupre

#11 Post by fdupre » Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:20 pm

Chas wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:53 pm
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Brilliant !

Have you come across any problems when using the barlow lens??
Hello Chas and thank you for your feedback,

No, I didn't encounter any major optical problem by adding the Barlow except that I can't reach the focal point with the 4x objective of the microscope, which doesn't bother me.
It should however be noted that the microscope is the Bresser Science Infinity rebadged by a German manufacturer called TS Optics

The Barlow lens is used to for my:

1 - It is used to move the focal point outwards in order to be able to focus with the Canon equipped with a standard Canon ef-type mount to T2 mount ring plus a T2 mount to astronomical 1.25 inch mount adapter / 31.75 mm (picture 2) but however, I tinkered with a ring that brings the Canon sensor closer to the focal point provided by the manufacturer, which allows me to use the Canon without the Barlow (picture 1)
assembly WITHOUT the Barlow - The Canon is just placed on the photo outlet which fits just a little bit into the sensor compartment without interfering with the proper functioning of the Canon (does not touch the mirror)
assembly WITHOUT the Barlow - The Canon is just placed on the photo outlet which fits just a little bit into the sensor compartment without interfering with the proper functioning of the Canon (does not touch the mirror)
canon1200D_montage01.jpg (121.14 KiB) Viewed 1876 times
with the Barlow :
assembly WITH the Barlow
assembly WITH the Barlow
canon1200D_montage02.jpg (125.16 KiB) Viewed 1876 times
2 - so I can have a larger magnification choice since I have 7 magnification choices. 4 choices without the Barlow with the 4x - 10x - 40x - 100x objectives and 3 choices with the Barlow with the 10x - 40x - 100x objectives.
Here is a link to a video (in French: sorry) that shows the 7 types of magnification that I can obtain. The first 4 without the Barlow and the last 3 with the Barlow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qg5v5zFA48

Sincerely,
Frank

Chas

#12 Post by Chas » Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:41 pm

I found a 2x telescope Barlow lens in a box and it works well despite the fact that it looks like it was originally very inexpensive!
I watched your video...Is the vignetting with the 4x lens (without the Barlow) a result of the condenser illumination or the result of the shroud on the end of the lens?

Am I correct in thinking that the 10x lens (without the Barlow) is giving ~5:1 in 'macro terminology' and that the 4x would give around 2:1 if there wasnt vignetting?

fdupre

#13 Post by fdupre » Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:10 am

Chas wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:41 pm
I found a 2x telescope Barlow lens in a box and it works well despite the fact that it looks like it was originally very inexpensive!
I watched your video...Is the vignetting with the 4x lens (without the Barlow) a result of the condenser illumination or the result of the shroud on the end of the lens?

Am I correct in thinking that the 10x lens (without the Barlow) is giving ~5:1 in 'macro terminology' and that the 4x would give around 2:1 if there wasnt vignetting?
Hello Chas,

It seems important to me that the Barlow lens be of good quality, at least that it be apochromatic to avoid the well-known aberrations of achromatic instruments, but hey, to be tested :)

The vignetting is mainly due to the lighting of the condenser. Vignetting is much less present in the case of lighting with reflected light as in this lighting configuration:
LED lighting
LED lighting
Eclairage led.jpg (89.08 KiB) Viewed 1786 times
Concerning the macro reports, I admit that I don't really know but your values seem to me not far from reality ---> Well seen. Personally, I think it is better to insert a graduated ruler in the photo to give more precisely the size of the object under the microscope (I do if I don't forget ;) ).

Sincerely,
Frank

Chas

#14 Post by Chas » Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:58 am

Barlow lens be of good quality
I guess that you are right, but I was pleased to see that it worked, without very big problems, on my (old) microscope :-)
I saw on the internet that 0.5x Barlow (convex) lenses also exist, so out of curiosity I put a simple old 50mm (~3x) objective lens on the the bottom of the 'draw-tube' of the microscope and it did increase the field of view of objectives, a lot !
Maybe not good image quality around the edges ;-)

On my microscope (with a mirror) I can increase the illuminated area, on the slide, by placing a peice of white paper/card on the mirror and lighting that with a desk light ..so maybe it is the size of the light sourece that matters (?)
Also saw this, which might be brighter and easier? : http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/ind ... umina.html

I think your wrapped-around diffuser is great solution .... that sort of thing used to be called 'Lateral Thinking' in the UK (Pensee Laterale [??] ) ! :-)

fdupre

#15 Post by fdupre » Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:14 pm

Chas wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:58 am
Barlow lens be of good quality
I guess that you are right, but I was pleased to see that it worked, without very big problems, on my (old) microscope :-)
I saw on the internet that 0.5x Barlow (convex) lenses also exist, so out of curiosity I put a simple old 50mm (~3x) objective lens on the the bottom of the 'draw-tube' of the microscope and it did increase the field of view of objectives, a lot !
Maybe not good image quality around the edges ;-)

On my microscope (with a mirror) I can increase the illuminated area, on the slide, by placing a peice of white paper/card on the mirror and lighting that with a desk light ..so maybe it is the size of the light sourece that matters (?)
Also saw this, which might be brighter and easier? : http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/ind ... umina.html

I think your wrapped-around diffuser is great solution .... that sort of thing used to be called 'Lateral Thinking' in the UK (Pensee Laterale [??] ) ! :-)
Hello Chas,
Great! I'm happy for you :)